Early Mondeo Saloon Saved From The Scrapman.

Slowsilver

Thanks for the tip @egg. Unfortunately I didn't see your post until this morning and they are now out of stock. Supposedly 66 sold. Fortunately my existing weather strips are not too bad. I did remove them all, scrape off all the moss, clean them up and reshape them as best as I could and they look reasonable now.

• 10 months later...
40 minutes ago, egg said:

He did well to find it as we're well away from the main roads. I think that's the chap with the grey Carina @wuvvum met at FOTU, so I've papped his car and he's papped mine. Had to chuckle at the comment "I bet it's loaded with options" as it has none at all and is exactly standard Ghia spec as per the brochure.

• 2 weeks later...

This is still going well and just being "an car". Starts immediately even in sub-zero temperatures, is quiet, comfortable and (for me) pretty quick. However there seems to be a peculiar problem with the heater temperature control, which appears to have gone binary instead of analogue. Instead of going from cold through warm to hot it appears to go from fully cold to fully hot in just one click at around the one o'clock position, which is about where the blue marks change to red. There is a photo in the HBoL of the back of the rotary knob showing a cable attached to it but I cannot find any information about where the other end goes or what it controls. I assume that it must operate a water valve somewhere but can't understand how it still works but is not progressive. How can a cable-operated valve go from fully open to fully closed within one click of the control. The cable movement for one click must be tiny. Do any of the Mondeo cognoscenti have any ideas. Maybe @sierraman or @egg would be kind enough to advise if they can help. TIA.

Hi - yes it's a cable controlled thing on early cars like ours, and the cable gets stretched leading to all sorts of problems. it connects in the driver's footwell to the side of heater box containing the heater matrix. You could try manipulating the connection on the side of the heater box (removing footwell trim to access) to see what's happening, but it may also be time to change the cable (if you can find one).