Early Mondeo Saloon Saved From The Scrapman.

Slowsilver

9 hours ago, greengartside said:

EDIT: spotted on Flickr by Flickrite Adam Floyd.

https://flic.kr/p/27ASsHZ

Adam Flloyd = @quicksilver = @Slowsilver JR.

Great that you can walk past a car a thousand times and then - boom - it's outside your kictchen window!

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Adam Flloyd = @quicksilver = @Slowsilver JR.

Great that you can walk past a car a thousand times and then - boom - it's outside your kictchen window!

10 hours ago, Billy - Medhurst said:

That was the first time I saw it a couple of years ago and never did I think it would end up here! I still can't believe how good this car is. The bodywork is almost spotless and that it drove away with nothing more than pumped up tyres and a jump start after 7 years in outside storage is extraordinary.

I have to admit I really used to dislike these quite a lot. But now I seem to be beginning to like them - regret missing a Ghia estate near here that's just been scrapped in a garage clearance. (  Along with a BX GTI and a Morris minor traveller ! ). Looking forwards to seeing how this turns out - Missed quite a few over cars the years I should have left notes on.

The parentals had a Mk1 Mondeo hatch 1.6 LX, neither plutocratic nor bASe; it was truly An Car, although being a youthful and callow disciple of Claremy Jerkson I thought it was dull, little realising that in 20 years time I'd be reading about them on teh internetz.

13 hours ago, sierraman said:

Fluid probably pissed out from the drivers side PAS fluid carrier pipe,I sold a crusty but leak free one for £50 last year, you could fabricate one easily DIY though. They’re mega money new old stock from ford though. 

Presumably we would see it leaking out though and there don't appear to be any leaks since we refilled it. I will check properly when I get underneath it. Thanks for the info.

13 hours ago, motorpunk said:

Fantastic! I particularly like the wheels.

I hope you don’t chuck the old boys hat and gloves away, and (at the risk of sounding high and mighty) will you take the daughter a box of chocs or something as a thank you? You’ve got a bargain there.

looking forward to updates. Lovely car you have!

I think the wheels are quite understated for alloys. In fact at a glance they could be mistaken for trims. I do like the smooth wheel centre covers. And they are so much easier to clean than the fussy multi-spoke jobs. They do look rather small for the size of the car though. Couldn't believe that they are only 14 inch diameter.
The giffer pack will be staying with the car as they are part of its history and provenance. Who knows how many miles the car did with those gloves clamped to its steering wheel.
I certainly intend to sort out some sort of present for the lady if we get to meet her again, which we hopefully will if she finds the other key and/or any more paperwork.

12 hours ago, greengartside said:

Do you have the rechargeable torch in the glovebox? These are mega rare now.

EDIT: spotted on Flickr by Flickrite Adam Floyd.

https://flic.kr/p/27ASsHZ

Didn't know they had a rechargeable torch but have been to have another look in the glovebox and this one seems to be missing, but I can see the holder that it fitted into with its charging socket. I guess that the rechargeable batteries probably die after a few years and if they are not easily obtainable or replaceable the torches get binned, hence their rarity.
As you have probably found out by now, Adam Floyd also happens to be @quicksilver on here, and also, coincidentally, my son. He is the other half of the Silvers' chod ruination restoration team.

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

My cheque book is ready for when you've taken it as far as you want to!

Don't tempt me yet. This is supposed to be a lockdown project and there are quite a few things I will enjoy doing to it before it leaves our custody. But it's nice to know that there seems to be a ready market for it on here to ensure that it continues to live on.
Sorry, no cheques, cash only! ?

Stop press: The very nice lady who gave me the car has just posted the other key, together with two period "Lex Leasing" key rings, through our letter box. This project just keeps getting better.

7 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

What a great story.

I am hoping you will get it on the road so I can get a drive before you move it on.

If and when we get it on the road I am sure that its first outing will probably be either to your place or the Field of Dreams.
And of course you will be welcome to have a drive in it.
I am already missing this year's round of FoD tinkerage. Hopefully the current restrictions will be lifted sufficiently to hold at least one weekend out there before the weather turns too bad again.

1 hour ago, Slowsilver said:

I guess that the rechargeable batteries probably die after a few years and if they are not easily obtainable or replaceable the torches get binned, hence their rarity.

On one of the Mondy Facebook pages, batteries for the torches have been sourced to make them live again, if you can find a torch, that is.

Just half-heartedly tried a bit of T-Cut on the back corner of the roof. Makes a bit of difference eventually but needs about 6 goes to see it. I think I need something a bit more aggresive. Don't really want to go to wet and dry paper, so maybe some sort of cutting compound. Can anybody recommend something suitable that works well?

8 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

Cutting compound doesn't really get better than Farecla G3. It's what most of the pros use and isn't even that expensive!

Thanks for the recommendation. Have ordered some from Ebay. 150ml tube for £7.83.

The best cutting compound is 3M Fast Cut plus 50457, as my job as a smart repairer I use this for paint correction followed by the 3M perfect it extra fine plus. 

These will give you a better chance of getting the paintwork to a better condition, follow with a good dose of Auto Glym Super Resin polish as the 3M products have no filler qualities that need wax to protect the paint. 

I remember these (aside from them being one of the bread and butter cars along with Vectras and Xantias when I worked at the garage) from one of our friends getting a new one on an N plate while my father was in hospital for a long stint in 1995 (possibly adjust year to suit plate!).  I remember it being really special as a bit of a car nerd to see an N plate at the time (bearing in mind we lived out in the sticks back then), I'd only spotted maybe half a dozen, when he turned up in this gleaming white N plate Mondeo Ghia.  Compared to most of the old bangers most of our friends drove (our usual lift into the hospital was a T plate Volvo 240 which had no time left on the radiator so needed the heater on full at all times and only had one working window...1995 was a hot summer!) it felt like a space ship.  The concept of bombing along at 100mph (he was a retired traffic cop and was fond of "making progress" when conditions allowed) in serene comfort and still able to hold a conversation with everyone in the car without even raising your voice was totally alien to me.

I'll definitely need to have a nosey when it makes its way over to the FoD, imagine there will be a lot of memories there.

While I far prefer the styling of the Sierra, especially the facelift one in Sapphire form in a nice bright colour with the smoked lights (ours was Wedgewood blue with red infill strips on the bumpers, one of the best looking cars we've ever owned I reckon), and definitely I preferred the interior of the Sierra aesthetically... I'm not about to even try to deny that the Mondeo was a quantum leap forward in virtually every way.  The amount of time and money Ford had put into cutting down noise and vibration in the cabin really did show...I know I'm working on 20 year old memories, but I really don't imagine that any modern car can really offer much beyond a healthy Mondeo in terms of comfort and refinement.  No idea how much was marketing waffle, but I seem to recall them making quite a big thing about how one of their big aims had been to design the car as one overall package with every component thought about...rather than a new body which they would then cram existing bits out of parts bins into.  Having designed it as a standardised model worldwide probably helped make that sort of approach stack up financially.  Again... it's stuff I remember from the brochures so might all be nonsense!

Fair enough to say that they were one of the first truly *modern* cars?  I think it probably is.

1 hour ago, Cavboy80 said:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C859893

Ford scene tax is starting to bite into the Mondeo ?

You're not kidding.
£1500 and it needs" recomissioning" and "attention to the subframes"!
And it's only an L, not a Ghia, so no posh toys.
Bloody hell, I feel really guilty now about stealing this one.