What could replace a BX?

vulgalour

I'd recommend keeping the BX, if I'm honest. As has been said, a 1.9 XUD has none of the modern trappings and does not baulk at short runs. Keep the oil changes regular and she's sweet. Added to that you have put so much into this car to make it reliable and I'm sure you have a bond with it, knowing it intimately as it were.

That said, if your heart is set on a replacement then surely a boggo spec 1.8 pez Xantia is the way to go.

@Out Run When I've had diesels before that I do my little runs in they get all sluggish and grumpy and I dunno, it just seems unfair somehow?  I'd feel more comfortable with something petrol too, diesels are never my first choice.

@C1am like them, don't get on with the driving position.  They're a little smaller than I want too really, the BX is the perfect size.

Am I being ridiculously fussy here?  I feel like I am now, because there's some neat cars being suggested right up until I measure them against the BX and then I'm quickly discovering what I've got is actually pretty darned great.

@tommotech I had a Xantia, it was great... except for the seating position.  It was so bad I put the seats from a Peugeot in it to try and sort it out, which it nearly did.  The seats just don't have support in the right place for the rest of the controls.  Also, all the while I had the Xantia I wanted it to be a BX!

I've not driven a Lada, though I have sat in a couple so I don't know how they drive.  I did get the feeling that everything was moments away from coming off in a comedy fashion and the seats felt saggy and worn out (which they probably were, to be fair) rather than plush and comfy.  Lack of leccy windows isn't a dealbreaker, it's the one option I like since it's practical.  Off centre controls, however, nix most options, there's a good number of cars I like in every other regard that are spoiled by off centre controls.

Renault 19s aren't 80s enough.

4 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

@tommotech I had a Xantia, it was great... except for the seating position.  It was so bad I put the seats from a Peugeot in it to try and sort it out, which it nearly did.  The seats just don't have support in the right place for the rest of the controls.  Also, all the while I had the Xantia I wanted it to be a BX!

I'd forgotten your BX with 405 seats!

In terms of wanting a BX, I think you might have found the answer to your quandary. Its on your drive...............

Just now, vulgalour said:

I've not driven a Lada, though I have sat in a couple so I don't know how they drive.  I did get the feeling that everything was moments away from coming off in a comedy fashion and the seats felt saggy and worn out (which they probably were, to be fair) rather than plush and comfy.  Lack of leccy windows isn't a dealbreaker, it's the one option I like since it's practical.  Off centre controls, however, nix most options, there's a good number of cars I like in every other regard that are spoiled by off centre controls.

I must admit, most Ladas I've owned have been ridiculously low mileage, so have always felt well screwed together. My estate had 19k on it. 

12 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

The Lada is actually surprisingly comfy.  I was really surprised by that side of things.  The saloons ride better though, the estate is slightly more stiffly sprung.

Renault 25 sounds like what you're after... Mechanically pretty uncomplicated if you stay away from the V6 and auto.  I've skipped buying a few which were in pretty basic spec over the years as I was spoiled by my first one being a Monaco.

Other one which immediately springs to mind would be a Mk II Cavelier.

4 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

I'd second /third the Lada suggestion, very comfy, squishy, and definitely no power steering! 

Although lack of leccy windows, and a slightly off centre steering wheel are down sides. 

Have you actually driven one? 

ill 3rd the comfortness comments too

while I have not driven one on the open road iv at least had the opportunity to ride in one on the open road

and I certainly don't recall it being uncomfortable at all

and having driven one round a car park, I can confirm definitely no power steering at all whatsoever LOL 

9 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Am I being ridiculously fussy here?  I feel like I am now, because there's some neat cars being suggested right up until I measure them against the BX and then I'm quickly discovering what I've got is actually pretty darned great.

I think the problem is you have a BX, the only cars that can be like a BX to replace it, is either another BX or another (hydropneumatic) Citroen of some kind

on that note has anyone recommended a Citroen Visa yet? :) 

5 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Renault 11? Think they were five door. Or Mazda 323?

Mind I don't know anything about the specs or ride, I'm just shouting out 80s cars now.... 

Mazda 323 falls into the "would like to own" and also "not a BX replacement" camps.  A lot of stuff suggested so far is in these camps.

I have no love for W124s as an ownership experience.  I like to see them out and about, and I'm glad there's people who enjoy them, they're not for me.  Most German cars are not for me.

I do like 205s, they're a lot of fun!  They look great inside and out, especially in more base trims, sound great, surprisingly good suspension for their size, and very capable.  A great candidate... until I measure it up as a BX replacement.  309s are a similar story, not quite as grin-inducing, and a lovely bit of design, but I know if I had one I'd always want it to be a BX.

Are you being picky?  Yes.

Are you being unreasonable asking it?  Not at all.

You're asking what can replace a BX while ticking many of the same boxes...The BX is a bloody good car.  It's going to really hard to come up with a convincing answer even without the conditions!

See also me having considered moving my Xantia on on a few occasions.  Then I've asked myself "what the fluff would I replace it with?!?" About the only thing I've come up with is a Volvo 240 (would have to be an early one though), or 850 (though would have to have the lighter wood - Birch? wood trim they came with) were about the only convincing options I came up with. 

...Though I can see a post in my thread asking for suggestions coming now!

50 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

I must admit, most Ladas I've owned have been ridiculously low mileage, so have always felt well screwed together. My estate had 19k on it. 

OK, I'm going to address the elephant in the room... my housemate at Uni had a pea green Lada Riva which I drove on many occasions and it was an appallingly shit car (for comparison, I was used to a repaired write-off R5 Le Car 2). Vague, tank-esque steering that a SIII Land Rover would be proud of (I had one for years & it's a fair comparison), shit brakes, piss poor fuel consumption, deafeningly noisy, rust, awful gearing etc. These were genuinely terrible cars.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud anyone who expends time and money keeping any old car or bike away from the bridge, but as actual daily transport they offer a truly desperate driving experience that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Sell the BX by all means, but you will die of misery if you replace it with a Lada of any description.

36 minutes ago, barrett said:

Somebody will probably swap you a petrol BX for your dizzler,  it sounds like that's what you really want!

If you really have to part with yours after all the effort you've expended, this would be my suggestion.

What about a Maxi? It seems to fit the criteria well (electric windows notwithstanding, but there are kits available).

I think it has already been mentioned, but a Citroen GSA also fits the criteria nicely.

Wild card suggestion, Maestro? Probably not that wafty and comfy though.

I'll stick my head above the parapet,keep the BX.Its the first car I've read you write about where I haven't thought "here we go again" lol. Your possibly a bit bored,and basing usage on current situations isn't that fair.Its the only car I've seen you make genuine progress with,instead of moaning about back ache or finding rampant rot,your finding fun little things to do like improving trim and fitting s third brake light.These are signs of contentment.Sometimrs, especially with pre 1990 stuff,you have to look at the wider picture,and if the fact it does 60?mpg is the only downside (not liking being stood applies to all old cars) then you've answered your own question.Peesonally I would have sold the princess,purely as it seems to be an ungrateful money pit,and put the money towards a Somerset or similar that you talked about before,you might get some enjoyment out of it :-)

That XUD Diesel suffers far less on short journey useage than a petrol engine.

All petrol engines have to run rich when cold, sooty plugs, petrol diluting the oil, condensation glooping up the carb.  Even worse would be an air-cooled engine - needs to be thrashed happy! (Much easier to thrash a Dyane than a GS)

I completely get your dilemma though, I have many of the same criteria, although I am OK with hydraulic power steering, but I do want more than four cylinders. 

Renault 16, 14, 6 or 4 is what you should try, assuming you can find one.  Now you are so near to France, is LHD ok?  R4 van? ( still ride nearly as soft as the cars)  

There is another way....

What about an FSO Polonez?

Large. 4 Doors. Hatchback. Rarer than a competent politician. And you could make it even more of an exciting prospect by going to Poland to buy one and driving one back.

Newer ones also come with 1.4 Rover K Series engines.

Another alternative would be a Peugeot 306. I had one, albeit in diesel trim, and it was a fantastic car. Comes in estate flavours too, but it is late 90's. 

I hear you- BX’s tick so many boxes and I always come back to them as the perfect combo of style, simplicity, comfort, intrigue and usability. It’s hard to think of anything else quite as appealing. 

However, like you, having found what should ostensibly be the perfect car I feel “meh” about it being diesel. Everything else about a BX is so serene, the XUD clatter just annoys me. 

hence a vote for a pez BX from me.