What could replace a BX?

vulgalour

how about some big american barge? they are well known for wafting and some did come in manual :) 

otherwise the closest thing I can think of to a hydropneumatic citroen that is not one

is either an old Rolls Royce

or

RM116...

( @Zelandeth remember when I asked if any PSVs ever used Hydropneumatic suspension? well I completely forgot about RM116 at the time, a Routemaster! how could I forget! :) )

mind an AEC AV590 is about as "diesel" as you can get.... (either that or a Detroit 2 stroke...)

some JCBs (IIRC) also used a hydropneumatic setup with special spheres made for JCB by citroen wonder what they would ride like if stuck onto a normal car!

On 4/20/2020 at 10:29 PM, vulgalour said:

.... I'd LOVE a CX but the sort of CX I can afford to buy I definitely can't afford to run.....

Why not? James Walshe (Practical Classics) may be selling his 1989 CX 22 TRS Series 2, to make way for his Series 1 GTi Turbo. It ticks virtually all of the thngs on your list. Fairly modest running costs for a big car. Non-injected petrol, manual, and you're familiar with all things Citroen anyway.

What's not to like?

CX ownership scares me.  It scares me because of the stories from people who own them, stories like yours in fact.  I'd like to experience a CX now and then, and then give it back quickly before it realises it's time for another trip to the spa*.

I had BXs for years. I loved them. For what they are i.e A modern ish compact 5 door hatch with great interior space they were literally the most interesting choice out there. They drive great, wonderful suspension, cracking engines etc.

Mine was starting to cause me headaches with odd parts becoming unavailable at the time, eg. I struggled like mad to get a hydraulic pump, when I finally got a NOS one, it lasted weeks. Speedo cables, I went through quite a few used ones when the supply of new ones dried up before having to get one custom made.

Life was tough for me at that time and I just wanted something I could enjoy without the headaches, absolutely nothing similar fit the bill. I ended up just trying something totally different, a cheap 1.7 Puma and loved it, kept it 3 years before actually needing a bigger car again. 

On 4/21/2020 at 8:28 PM, Tamworthbay said:

Was that a low mileage minter? Going rate for a 2.0 laser on Facebook Capri pages seems to be £3-8k from a scruffy but MoTed to a very nice example. They have jumped a hell of a lot though, I have added a grand on my agreed value every year for the last four years.

It was from one of the dreamers on ebay. Yes it was the low mileage/fully restored special that you see on there, but still. £20000 for a 2.0 Capri??

9 minutes ago, 2flags said:

It was from one of the dreamers on ebay. Yes it was the low mileage/fully restored special that you see on there, but still. £20000 for a 2.0 Capri??

Low mileage Brooklands possibly, but 2 litre? No chance. There would have to be something else like a celebrity owner or some crap like that. Top end for pinto cars is around £10k for ones that actually sell. Let me guess, was it photographed against a white background by any chance?

3 hours ago, vulgalour said:

CX ownership scares me.  It scares me because of the stories from people who own them, stories like yours in fact.  I'd like to experience a CX now and then, and then give it back quickly before it realises it's time for another trip to the spa*.

So in fact what you'd like is a CX that you could have a lend of as and when you feel like it, but never actually own. Oh dear. That's not like having the real thing at all......

2 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Low mileage Brooklands possibly, but 2 litre? No chance. There would have to be something else like a celebrity owner or some crap like that. Top end for pinto cars is around £10k for ones that actually sell. Let me guess, was it photographed against a white background by any chance?

Could have been a Brooklands Capri. Just had a look now and couldn't find it. Yes, it was photoed behind a white background. Did however find this.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Granada-Ghia-i-4-Door-Saloon-PROJECT-VEHICLE-07896-981212/254529106520?hash=item3b431df258:g:MTAAAOSw-AFeXT0Y

Could be a real find for someone who was willing to take a punt.

6 hours ago, vulgalour said:

CX ownership scares me.

I've warned people away from CX ownership in the past, but if you know what you're doing, it's no more scary than any other hydro Citroen,  Actually quite a lot simpler than later hydractive cars. 

The biggest issue, like all shite from the era, is now rust and parts availability.  The suspension system is actually more robust than a BX/Xantia setup, and most of the engines are very simple/basic:  most of them are a pushrod design.  Head-gaskets are a doddle.

I would happily still daily one if I could.  For various reasons I can't at the moment.

CXs are like Rolls Royces in that they're great if you can drop funds on them when they demand it, usually at short notice it seems, and often when its most inconvenient.  Or at least, that's what other build threads lead me to believe.  They have all that with the usual elderly car problems thrown in.  It is all worth it, there's a reason I'm both jealous of CX owners and relieved I'm not one. I salute those that persist with them.

I would offer to swop my petrol BX. But it is shit in comparison to yours. Sunroof, so leaks, engine, low oil pressure light comes on, drivers seat cracked, but still surprisingly comfortable, needs a respray. There some of the better points. ? Keep yours and do what others have suggested take it for a blast every now and then. Keep thinking a diesel may be better for towing our small caravan. Rob Moss at Chevronics has a LH base spec 1.4 for sale, I think. Rescued from a French strap yard. What about an Accadine van? 

P.S. I found the aluminium washer spray bar if you want it? PM me details and I can post.

Edited by Meter rat
Additional information was needed in post

2 hours ago, Meter rat said:

..... Rob Moss at Chevronics has a LH base spec 1.4 for sale, I think. Rescued from a French strap yard. ...

I think he wants quite a lot for that one, it being a Series 1 with the purer instrument display, etc.

34 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I think he wants quite a lot for that one, it being a Series 1 with the purer instrument display, etc. as he has a totally unrealistic view of what these cars are worth

Just fixed that for you. He's asking 16V money for an unregistered lhd car with a target audience of about 12 people. If I was being generous I'd say it was a £2k car, on a good day, if he bothered to register it in the UK. It's lovely, though, but you can still pick these up in France for peanuts if you want one that badly
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1168154

13 hours ago, Meter rat said:

P.S. I found the aluminium washer spray bar if you want it? PM me details and I can post.

PM incoming.

I'm sticking with this one I reckon, if nothing else this thread has proven how difficult a thing it's going to be to replace.  I'll be happier when I finally locate where the air is getting into the fuel, have been focusing on other things and ignoring it just for the moment, I'm about at the point where I feel like looking for the problem again so that might happen this weekend.  We shall see.