Robson 3022 Car Capers!MONDAY MADNESS LIVE COLLECTION THREAD

Robson3022

So I sold the Vectra a couple of weeks ago thinking we didn’t need two cars during CV19 and I’ve lined up something from here as my long term car once travelling half the country is a bit more acceptable. 

Well....both myself and Mrs Robson3022 have been called into work and both need to drive. So I needed something quick and this was for sale round the corner. 

It had the belts done a couple of years ago and drives really well. 150,000 miles but with 12 months MOT. 1.6 so it’s not going to set the world alight but it doesn’t need to. 

Cant wait to polish it to within an inch of its life and make it red again!!! I might paint the wheels too.  

I GIVE YOU.............

A golf in a skirt! 

56868EDD-CF92-44A4-A205-0B3930100FBF.jpeg

404871DC-1CCE-4B25-8D80-4B94A270B5CC.jpeg

9856EF86-76ED-4B12-BF29-F6299E50088A.jpeg

1D33DEA2-C2CC-405F-8B9F-F17083463518.jpeg

So plans are to tidy it a bit while I’m using it. Replace a couple of bits of trim that are missing, vax the seats, polish it to within an inch of its life and remove the stickers from it. It was serviced at MOT time so should be good in that respect! It doesn’t need much more (hence why I bought it!) 

if anyone has any badges for one of these lying around I’d be happy to throw some sheckles at someone for them! 

7 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

And the winner of the 'Deepest dashboard award 2002 goes to..."

I quite like these but can you actually reach the base of the windscreen to give it a wipe with a seatbelt on?

You probably don't need to, as the heating and demister actually works.

Unlike the original Beetle I had ?

7 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

And the winner of the 'Deepest dashboard award 2002 goes to..."

I quite like these but can you actually reach the base of the windscreen to give it a wipe with a seatbelt on?

I’m confident that you don’t have to wear a seatbelt. If you were in an accident it would take an age to headbutt the screen!!! 

Interesting purchase. I don't really know how to react to one of these Gol...Beetles. Does it seat people in the back in comfort? The boot looks like it would be an awkward shape, is it usable? I kind of agree with the idea of a convertible, could be kind of a cool in a very AS way. Looking forward to seeing it tidied up!

Well bought. Yes Mrs Hertz loves hers. She is now on her 4th one, the 1.6 is the one to have IMO. As said above ultra reliable, the only issues we had were with the convertible one she had. It had a leak from the bulkhead and the door locks had issues. I prefer the look of the facelift version 2006 onwards as it has a bit more of a chisled and masculine look to it. 

Feels like barely 5 minutes ago when these were new on sale in the UK.  I recall that some people were so desperate to have one that pre-UK-RHD sales, people were importing LHD ones and registering them in the UK.  Those ones must be absolutely worthless now, if indeed any of them still exist.  I would have thought most of them got re-exported back to mainland Europe once they were worth more there than here.

So I’ve been running around in this for the last couple of days and it drives great!! Chucked some water at it today and I think it looks pretty good. Well from 6ft. It’s had paint at some point which is showing on the rear quarter and there’s over spray on some of the rubbers but overall it’s a tidy little thing. Jobs for the weekend are to polish it, clear the headlights up and get rid of the stupid sticker merm. Might even go full 2 bucket wrongun and clay and polish it. Quite happy with it for what it is! 

474589D9-5136-4C06-9181-59C7CC8E816B.jpeg

752AD27C-2C68-408B-A2F9-5824CA711CF9.jpeg

F6E0F53E-787D-4A7E-ABAA-0082150D9C04.jpeg

AA98F6FE-C731-498D-9134-E1B5C85A5EEF.jpeg

0433752F-C57B-44E5-AE56-F2CB0069A83B.jpeg

1BDC7617-6B3D-4218-AD82-0E11E1765C17.jpeg

3CAAC4D8-F3E0-4E89-B2C3-5A7AB80BDF87.jpeg

F3B38DD0-0D15-4A7E-AD6B-60C397A7CAD5.jpeg

On 4/22/2020 at 10:25 PM, Talbot said:

Feels like barely 5 minutes ago when these were new on sale in the UK.  I recall that some people were so desperate to have one that pre-UK-RHD sales, people were importing LHD ones and registering them in the UK.  Those ones must be absolutely worthless now, if indeed any of them still exist.  I would have thought most of them got re-exported back to mainland Europe once they were worth more there than here.

Years ago LHD cars were worth square root of fuck all. Now even an absolute nail if it’s LHD is worth coin. Saw a 1999 Mondeo a while back, absolute nail it was. Advert went ‘ideal for visiting European Villa in’. Even looking at it getting to the ferry port would have been a task, IIRC they wanted £1500 for it!