Bini fettling

paulplom

Boredom and because I quite like it, I've decided to give my bini some attention. I'm gonna start on the rusty rust spots and tidy it up a bit. I'm wither going to make it loads better or make a pigs ear of it, be embarassed to drive it and sell it on heee at a great loss.

I've never done body work btw.659402fcfb01fc117303fe1d2972fe1b.jpgaf51d1df1a799d85ece1c138754cc348.jpgfd82ea6251c9a35f0ec69cc6915a1009.jpg2badbd86bac813fc62450bf679d099e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

good luck, bodywork gives me the fear (which is probably why my mx5 is a bit of a scruff) but my instinct would be to leave the very obvious chip on the the bonnet until last, have a 'practice' on somewhere less obvious that can be covered with a well placed sticker if it goes tits up. you might get away with one of those touch up kits that halfords do if its just stone chips ?

You be alright, good so far.

you want to ‘feather the paint edges’.  Use your wet n dry paper ‘wet’ with some hand soap.   Ideally flat it back and feather before you rust treat.

Then a thin skim of filler, flat that back.   I normally mask of the painted area and just prime the exposed area. Several light coats of primer to build up the depth.

then take the masking off and blend the primer into the surrounding paint.

them a few more coats of primer over a larger area including some of the existing paint. De nib the primer and apply your colour coat.  Several light coats 

I used to paint cars. I still do kind off, but not for a living. Anyway..

Rust loves to come back and will, something like bolt hamber deox should remove it. Never had success with just a converter.

Think that’s gonna be a pearl colour, id apply the colour in a lot of light coats, random fashion to avoid striping.

Keep repairs, primer and base coats to small as possible size, You wanna lacquer at least a few 6 inch at least, past the colour you’ve sprayed. Don’t get a hard edge to coats, should then be able to polish it out.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not after a perfect job. Just something half tidy. Anything's better than a car covered in scabs. I'm gonna have to google how to get the paint code.
Can anyone send a link on ebay/amazon for some primer and some laquer plz.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, paulplom said:

Would this do for a primer?

https://www.toolstation.com/plastikote-metal-paint-primer-spray-paint-400ml/p48232

If it'll do I'm going to sand the car and apply it till I get the top coat.

And what about this for laquer?

https://www.toolstation.com/plastikote-quick-dry-clear-lacquer-spray-paint/p95217

Tool station primer, satin black and lacquer are fine, all cellulose based and i'be used primer and lacquer on Alloy wheels (with sparkle silver in between'.  I've used statin black on lots of stuff, it would be ideal for sills etc

check out the  lacquer though, I can't recall my toolstation stuff being plasticiote, I will check