Jaguar xj6 or BMW Z3 dilemma. Opinions?

Lanciaman

Mate is selling the above.   53 plate XJ6 3.0 and a T reg Z3 2.8 manual.

I owned the Jag 3 years ago and sold it to him. 

I fancy both. Need neither so 1 would purely be a plaything. 

Jag on 150k miles but its 100% sorted and is not far off genuine mint. £1500.

Z3 on 88k miles. Has recent eibach suspension upgrade and is vgc.  Comes with a 'fetching' plum leather interior. £2000.

The z3 makes more financial sense as unlikely to depreciate. Who wants an old jag these days...

I really liked driving the jag and am a big fan of waft and slushboxes.  However z3 might be fun for the 7 miles country roads to work.

Lastly I'm 51 and 6ft so likely to look a total tool in a z3.

What would fellow shiters do?  Other than not bother. 

Lastly lastly I don't need various comments saying z3 is shite , an xyz is better. These are the options! 

FE536115-D1E5-486F-B645-043546264379.jpeg

Z3, even if it was a 1.9 would be fun, as it’s a 2.8 why even ask. The Jag is just another saloon , if you need a sensible family car it would be nicer than a Vauxhall, BMW, Ford, Merc etc , but it sounds as if you don’t need that so why buy it.  If I didn’t have to have sensible boring saloons , I certainly wouldn’t have anything with a roof or more seats and I’m bigger and older than you- fuck what other people think you look like- I know in my head I look like James Dean in Little Bastard( before the crash).

Drive the Z3 before committing. I have tried a few with a range of engines and they seem to have been designed well, then someone has made a conscious decision to remove all the fun with electronics and restrictions. Compared to something like a Mk1 MX5 they feel bloated and boring. Feedback is abysmal. That said, if it’s more of a Sunday gentle drive through the country with the roof down you are looking for then they are perfect. Very refined and the cabin is a nice place to be.

Before opening this I thought Jag, no question, seeing as the Z3 is 2.8 and manual it seems quite attractive, the low miles and plum interior make the Z3 very attractive. The fact you have sold the Jag once before suggests you didn’t love it so I suggest the Z3 which surprises me as I like Jags!

This is a difficult one. I love Jags. I have a 3.0 Xtype. Love it. I also have a Renault Megane cabriolet. In this weather is is the weapon of choice. Roof down motoring with the sun shining, nothing better. Although it goes against everything I believe in, get the BMW.

Looking like the z3 has the majority thumbs up.  Only ever had 1 bmw.  A 1990 535i. First owner Fred Goodwin, him of ruining RBS fame. Came with a folder of bmw history. Still wasn't a great car.

I'm not expecting the z3 to be the best handling or fun car in the world. But it's a known entity and that's worth a lot for peace of mind.  The jag I sold when the 8.32 arrived. Cracking car though and the v6 is ample.

Not really a fair comparison between the two. Depends what you want really. My two pennorth though for what it's worth.

My dad got a 2.8 z3 last year. I really like it. Makes a nice noise, well knocked together. Above all fun. Sat over rear axle, old fashioned in feel compared to more recent stuff, a proper drive all in all. Nice to look at as well, I reckon they've aged kindly.

I've read the comments so far and whilst I'm far from a driving god, I think this threads in danger of getting a bit piston heads. All the fun removed is a bit much, in my experience.