Can you sell a car during lock down?

inconsistant

4 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Wonder how test drives can be conducted - my trade insurance is accompanied demonstration only!

A lot of trade policies have unaccompanied cover these days. Realistically it’s no different to having courtesy car cover which I think costs me another £180ish a year.

31 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Depends on your definition of cheap ?

It'll be damn good value, put it that way...

I didn't necessarily mean I was interested in a Z4... I meant silly cars in general could be cheaper.

2 hours ago, meggersdog said:

good point . Think the care worker was on his own on the test drive (if he had one)

Daughter said the dealer came with her.  Her ward doesn't *have anyone with C19.  He obviously decided he'd rather sell a car than stay safe. 

9 hours ago, Wack said:

David"s Panda looked Ok from the 5 second glance I gave it , in Bootle but he works in Liverpool if he's still working , I met him at lime street station when I bought the SLK a month ago, really nice guy

I like it and its not too far away but the mileage puts me off. 170K - if it grenades shortly after I buy it I just cant afford to loose £500 right now, Im sure most people are in the same boat.

Jim Bells is brill, but Im now struggling with the logistics of getting it in the time frame I have free. Not the end of the world, I have the bike and I can use Mr Wombles car for some days and JrWombles some days. Had a lovely loud "bang" after a prolonged groaning whilst negotiating a tight turn in the road in Bury today with the Picasso when I went on a wasted journey to view a C3 ( just pulled up and dealer phoned me to tell me it had been sold).
PAS now losing fluid. Not badly, but something defo leaking from the NS side of the rack.

20 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

I like it and its not too far away but the mileage puts me off. 170K - if it grenades shortly after I buy it I just cant afford to loose £500 right now, Im sure most people are in the same boat.

Jim Bells is brill, but Im now struggling with the logistics of getting it in the time frame I have free. Not the end of the world, I have the bike and I can use Mr Wombles car for some days and JrWombles some days. Had a lovely loud "bang" after a prolonged groaning whilst negotiating a tight turn in the road in Bury today with the Picasso when I went on a wasted journey to view a C3 ( just pulled up and dealer phoned me to tell me it had been sold).
PAS now losing fluid. Not badly, but something defo leaking from the NS side of the rack.

They really are fuckers for that , I took a mate to look at a picasso in liverpool , yeah yeah still got it 

We drove there, 30 minutes max , it was on an industrial estate , couldn't find it , rang, sorry it's sold , but we have got this bag of shite.

Did he try and sell you something else 

Was on the forecourt
Bloke says woman who came to look at it yesterday rang him up and said she wanted it this morning.
I'd arranged to meet at tbe car lot this morning at 11.
He phoned me literally as I pulled up at 10 to and knew I was travelling from Preston and it was a 40 min drive

Hey ho.

e18547d4059e7ab5c341e9cb6fe78866.jpg

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Timely thread for me. Going to view and probably purchase a car tomorrow.

Seller has said that he will leave car in drive, with the keys in. I leave cash deposit, envelope through letterbox. If I crash it I buy it. He is an older chap, not very good with technology. I can see an issue with v5 transfer, as doubt he can do that online. 

Quite a lot of trust will need to be given by both parties. Luckily I'm honest and fully insured and he seems like a very decent bloke when talking to him.

Any negotiating about price will be done via phone. Me on pavement. Him indoors.

I do accept it's not an essential journey and I am not an essential worker, so am struggling with a bit of guilt about contemplating it. I may change mind after sleeping on it.

23 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I planned to sell my Z4, but can't see it's feasible at the moment. As mentioned above, I reckon 'fun' sports cars which are highish tax and drink fuel are going to be low down buyers priority lists for a while. ?

Why thank you for making me smile ?

My car is high tax, a bit thirsty..... Chevrolet Tacuma, 'a fun sports car' 

On 4/15/2020 at 5:50 PM, inconsistant said:

How? Is it possible?

Has anyone managed it (other than rofffles and other inter-autoshite-buying-blind shenanigans, which I imagine could continue to happen pretty much the same? 

How would you sell a car during lock down? What would be the do's and don'ts, and the cans and can'ts??  

So... someone could come and have a look around the car and get under it, and sit in it, and fiddle with stuff, and start it to see it running, but what about the test drive? I'm not getting in a car with someone, and wouldn't want a them to do a solo test drive unless I had money in my hand for the car.

Or just leave the whole thing until afterwards? Your thoughts and experiences please!

I think myself and @sims00 pioneered this, in our brave new world?

I could be wrong. ?

Exactly , it's a common trick,  years ago we had a neighbour who went to buy a fiesta that was mint and came back with a scruffy 106 

It was one of those places where nothing had a price on just £×× a month , amazingly the mint fiesta had gone but their £xx a month bought them this POS 

I did the buying a car thing yesterday. Car was advertised on Trade Me. Spoke to the owner, he described the car's condition, price agreed. On line and transferred cash from my bank to his. Back on line and transferred ownership to me (5 minute job and paid the $9.00 fee by credit card). The only little problem is that I haven't actually seen or driven it yet and due to lockdown cannot do a collection thread yet. That thrill will happen ASAP and you will have to wait till then for details other than it is green, a large 4door saloon and has a 3litre V6 and is not a 2nd hand JDM import.

7 minutes ago, STUNO said:

...it is green, a large 4door saloon and has a 3litre V6 and is not a 2nd hand JDM import.

Maybe it's a Peugeot 605!  I enjoyed a squirt up the A46 in Watagongcorporation's slightly 'used' example until one of the driveshafts waved the white flag...

1 hour ago, chaseracer said:

Maybe it's a Peugeot 605!  I enjoyed a squirt up the A46 in Watagongcorporation's slightly 'used' example until one of the driveshafts waved the white flag...

Very wrong. I bought this because I already own a French car