Can you sell a car during lock down?

inconsistant

How? Is it possible?

Has anyone managed it (other than rofffles and other inter-autoshite-buying-blind shenanigans, which I imagine could continue to happen pretty much the same? 

How would you sell a car during lock down? What would be the do's and don'ts, and the cans and can'ts??  

So... someone could come and have a look around the car and get under it, and sit in it, and fiddle with stuff, and start it to see it running, but what about the test drive? I'm not getting in a car with someone, and wouldn't want a them to do a solo test drive unless I had money in my hand for the car.

Or just leave the whole thing until afterwards? Your thoughts and experiences please!

8 minutes ago, inconsistant said:

I'm not getting in a car with someone, and wouldn't want a them to do a solo test drive unless I had money in my hand for the car.

which means you wouldnt give them a test ride cos they shouldnt be going near you

you answered your own question i think

I sold the ride on mower two weeks ago and the disco on bank holiday Monday,

Mower buyer paid cash which I never even counted just stuck it in an envelope and put it in the safe then washed my hands so hopefully any potential bug will just shrivel up by the time I require it, 

Disco buyer arrived and i left keys on seat he tested it and we agreed a price and he paid direct into bank and drove it away there and then, no contact at all,   both sold through gumtree it's doable but not advisable really.

I suppose you could write up a contract of sale, both sign it and lock it in the buyers old car along with the money while they do the test drive alone.

I'd want to see proof of insurance etc first

People are going to need to make the odd car purchase during lockdown to replace knackered things they are using to get about.  Be tricky to justify buying anything exotic at the moment though.

10 minutes ago, Mally said:

Some people are taking deposits , I know because we missed one.

It's a big gamble though, risk deposit, something closer may turn up in the meantime, might be crap when you do get there, and no knowing when that might be.

Risky being a buyer too. I’m currently in a position (more of a shituation) where I need a decent sized bargain basement motor. Finding one is proving tricky and a lot of what I have seen have fuck off big warning bells going off over the seller, the location or the car itself.

I sold my Audi. He looked around it while I stood far away then test drove it on his own. I told him if he smashed it hes purchased it. He came back and we did transfer online so no paperwork and I counted money and put away then washed hands, not touched the money again yet. It is possible if you think about it. We had already agreed price before test drive

1 hour ago, 83C said:

Risky being a buyer too. I’m currently in a position (more of a shituation) where I need a decent sized bargain basement motor. Finding one is proving tricky and a lot of what I have seen have fuck off big warning bells going off over the seller, the location or the car itself.

A lad in Devon wants my Lada, but is (naturally) worried about paying for it without seeing it, then getting someone he doesn't know to collect on his behalf.

It’s possible as described above. However, the guidelines are, only venture out for food, medical reasons, to go to work or one form of exercise. So it’s it essential to sell it now? Or do you put your self and others at risk? If it’s not essential to sell, wait till it’s over to be on the safe side. I’ve been trying to sell my omega, but have parked it on a friends driveway till this has blown over. Then will probably break it after.   

Ive been struggling to buy a car at the moment - plenty advertised but trying to get a seller to message you back is like pushing water uphill. With your nose.

I might have a C3 to look at tomorrow. Still waiting for the vendor to get back to me initially after saying yes etc. Im working every day so still need a working car. Fortunately ive been able to fall back on the bike a few times with the weather being nice. Messaged the Shadow though over the Yaris - Im impressed with the ex @Jim Bell one that @JrWomble now has.

I am considering this very carefully at the moment.  The Wagon AARRGGHH which sold via Roffle about three weeks ago is still sat here waiting for me to deliver it to scdan4.  The issue I have is justifying the journey to do so.  I'd be putting it on a trailer, so would stick out like a sore thumb and likely be prime target to be pulled.  If I were delivering a car to someone who works in the NHS and desperately needed to still be able to get in to work, that could be justifiable.  Taking a 19-year old roffle-win car to a fellow autoshiter.. possibly less justifiable.

I suspect it's very much the issue of the journey rather than the actual transaction.  We can all be careful to distance ourselves, but unless there is desperate and real need for a car, can you say truthfully that it's an essential journey?

58 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

Ive been struggling to buy a car at the moment - plenty advertised but trying to get a seller to message you back is like pushing water uphill. With your nose.

I might have a C3 to look at tomorrow. Still waiting for the vendor to get back to me initially after saying yes etc. Im working every day so still need a working car. Fortunately ive been able to fall back on the bike a few times with the weather being nice. Messaged the Shadow though over the Yaris - Im impressed with the ex @Jim Bell one that @JrWomble now has.

If you liked that Yaris, you should buy this Panda. It's even better!!

33 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

If you liked that Yaris, you should buy this Panda. It's even better!!

Cant afford it sadly or I would have been all over it weeks ago - Im scrimping to get £700 to buy this C3 that I might get to see tomorrow

Daughter had to buy a car last week to get to her job in a hospital. She's on call so would rather not have to call a taxi at 3 am. 

She found a dealer open in Stockport, uber gave her 10 free lifts a week, so she went and bought it.  It was the second one she saw.  The first was over priced and was a wanker when it came to discussing warranties. 

IMG-20200408-WA0001.jpg

I've been trying to sell my Volvo 960 since the start of March. I've had it on Facebook and did a 28 day advert on eBay. The eBay advert lapsed and I didn't bother renewing it, because lock down. It's still on Facebook though and I've had three people contact me about it since the lock down. We exchange messages and photos and "yes, it is still for sale" however it all dries up when (I think) they sit down and they can't quite square lock down with the next stage of the process! I'm not expecting anything until it's over (unless someone on here fancies it?) In fact, I wouldn't be surprised it it doesn't sell at all this year. Are people even going to be thinking about such expenditure, even when restrictions lift?

If you can find a way round the logistics of test drives and payments I don't see how buying a car falls foul of lockdown, anybody can go to work if they can't work from home so if you need a car to do it why can't you buy it

No way I'd be using public transport, I'm amazed anybody even wants to get on a bus or worse still  in a taxi with a driver who's been in a car with god knows any people in the last 3 weeks, so how can buying a car if you're working break the rules.or even if you need it to do the things you're allowed to do

One of the kids snapped the toilet seat hinges yesterday so I did a click and collect at screwfix , could have been days if I'd had to order it online or not had a car.

10 hours ago, UltraWomble said:

David"s Panda looked Ok from the 5 second glance I gave it , in Bootle but he works in Liverpool if he's still working , I met him at lime street station when I bought the SLK a month ago, really nice guy

MoT'd a car yesterday for a local car dealer. He is closed but his website says open for nhs and care workers phone his mobile to arrange test drives etc.

A care worker bought the car. A test drive was arranged with the garage a few doors down,as they were open, and everything was done online. Collection is today and the garage have the keys.

A mate of mine has been selling a few motorbikes during lock down. He delivers in a large van and does the deal at the buyers address. Not had a wasted journey YET

56 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

MoT'd a car yesterday for a local car dealer. He is closed but his website says open for nhs and care workers phone his mobile to arrange test drives etc.

A care worker bought the car. A test drive was arranged with the garage a few doors down,as they were open, and everything was done online. Collection is today and the garage have the keys.

A mate of mine has been selling a few motorbikes during lock down. He delivers in a large van and does the deal at the buyers address. Not had a wasted journey YET

Wonder how test drives can be conducted - my trade insurance is accompanied demonstration only!