Tigerfoxes Spendthrift Fleet Picasso HDI Corsa B & E Riley 9

Tigerfox

I have a collection of broken cars and today I thought that after a couple of years it was time to replace the bulbs in the Picasso air con display

This is the 1st time I done anything like this so I hope it turns out ok

So 1st off removed  the end trims on the radio and then pulled the gear lever gaiter and trim panel off which left me with this, after which it was easy to replace the bulbs.

I replaced the gaiter as well and here it is finished.

The more observant of you may notice something missing

Cars017.jpg

Cars015.jpg

Cars016.jpg

Cars018.jpg

Cars020.jpg

Baby Tigerfox (she is 26) turned up having managed to hit a post and pushed the headlight across so far it broke all the mountings and pulled the connector out so the lights did not work.

Apart from a couple of scratches on the bumper no other damage. Temp repair done and second hand headlight ordered for £20

And I must get the Corsa back on the road, been owned by the family for about 14 years

04032020111.jpg

Cars001.jpg

So having found the gear knob I lost ( it was in the kicthen)  I moved on to the next small job

I thought I would try a set of these heavy duty mounts and see if they last

10 minutes to fit. Has anybody else had them last or do they fail like the rest

Cars021.jpg

Cars019.jpg

Cars022.jpg

14 minutes ago, Tigerfox said:

And how do you get the pictures interspersed with the text. Bearing in mind I am can only use I finger at a time as i am not far off my bus pass

Put the curser where you want the pic then add it.

Then press enter a couple of times and you can type under the pic. Repeat as necessary.

• 7 months later...

Needs the alternator replacing along with the belt and probably a engine mountingm not capable to do it myself these days.

Its been off the road 3 years I think, but we have owned it for 12 or 13 years and probably too expensive to take to the garage

Got other tat on the drive now, Phaeton Lowline

Corsa Bentley.jpg

• Tigerfox changed the title to Tigerfoxes Spendthrift Fleet Picasso HDI Corsa B & E
  • 1 year later...

After reading in another post about posting I thought I would do my bit.

Corsa is still on the drive and has been off the road 4 years I think, but having space in the garage now the 505 has gone I will get it in and see what it needs, wont be quick

You will not be surprised to know that a 18 year old French car has electrical problems. Picasso has radio on 24/7 and the heater blows hot on full speed and also cannot be switched off. Going to try remove a few bits this weekend after disconecting battery hoping that resets something.

Riley 9  No progress but I have bought some steel to see about repairing the chassis. Dont hold your breath

Radio problem resolved for now as I took it out, so should not drain the battery.

The heater fan is as you say @RoverFolkUs. It comes on as soon as the engine is running and blasts hot air at the top fan speed. The digital display for the fan, air con etc is not working, disconected it but made no difference.

Going to try disconecting the battery to see if that changes anything. I suspect the heater resistor might have failed but dont understand how this affects the radio. Mind you if changing a bulb or fuse is not a cure its beyond my electrical abilty.

• Tigerfox changed the title to Tigerfoxes Spendthrift Fleet Picasso HDI Corsa B & E Riley 9

With climate control I suspect the issue to be a bit more complex unfortunately. It could be a faulty resistor that's shorted but I doubt it

Worst case scenario, if the true cause cannot be found, you could just wire a flick switch in series to the blower motor

But my first suggestion is to unplug the climate control ECU/control module. If that switches them off, then that module is fried. If the blower still stays on then the motor is probably shorted internally

• 4 months later...
On 12/1/2020 at 1:33 PM, Tigerfox said:

Needs the alternator replacing along with the belt and probably a engine mountingm not capable to do it myself these days.

Its been off the road 3 years I think, but we have owned it for 12 or 13 years and probably too expensive to take to the garage

Got other tat on the drive now, Phaeton Lowline

A sure fire 100% classic that will have girls throwing their trollies at you wherever you go, and every available (and unavailable) MILF in the neighbourhood leaving notes under the wipers.

Not sure about the Bentley though.

16 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I would watch the Riley with interest.  How much of it have you actually got? 

I have a complete running chassis, that is totally dismantled and knackered. The first problem is too find somebody to machine the front spring mounts,on the right (see photo )as they are welded into the chassis and then I can make some dumb irons and cross member. I do have 2 new springs so that will make  getting the front square. The chassis itself is 2 3mm U sections pushed together 

Engine is need of a rebuild as the white metal on one big end detached its self living a very scored bore and piston

So plenty to go at, no budget and I am very nearly a oap, so will have the time but not all the skills

RMC2.jpg

Riley 9 Piston.jpg

12 minutes ago, Tigerfox said:

The first problem is too find somebody to machine the front spring mounts,on the right (see photo )as they are welded into the chassis and then I can make some dumb irons and cross member. I do have 2 new springs so that will make  getting the front square. The chassis itself is 2 3mm U sections pushed together 

Do you have an engineering drawing (or just a dimensioned sketch) of the spring mounts you could post? 

22 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

Do you have an engineering drawing (or just a dimensioned sketch) of the spring mounts you could post? 

No there is nothing available as far as i am aware. I intend to make a triangular jig to bolt to the chassis through existing holes so that i can be sure of the mount position.

I then intend to cut the mount off and use it as a pattern to get a pair made. The other question is the grade of steel to make it from

The picture below shows what the front of the chassis should look like

1866072899_RileyChassismod.thumb.jpg.bb1a7b35c154751ce99e5524f6cd08f8.jpg

There may be one or two fabricators on here who might be interested, but they are going to need a bit more info than that.

The spring mount is just a shouldered rod by the look of it, no problem if you have the dimensions.

The easiest way to make the dumb iron is from 4 pieces of flat plate - get the sides cut to profile, then add the top and bottom as separate strips.

How good is your welding?

• 11 months later...