Garden Find

When I was a kid my grandad told me at the end of the garden at their house a tractor had sunk into the ground years ago. Obviously me being a sad bastard used to dig like mad looking for it. Only years later did he tell me it was bullshit. Crafty old bastard he just wanted the garden digging over. 

12 hours ago, kirton said:

I have been told that there is a car buried at the far end of my garden: it being an rural ex council house I don't think it will be a 4.3 litre Alvis like the one the garage told me they had had buried in Bradford on Avon tip just a week previous,  I had seen the car so I know it's existence wasn't a myth

BoA had a tip? News to me

BoA tip; This was at about 50 years ago, so probably a desirable housing development now. I was in my early 20s and was asking for an acquaintance whose father turned out to have a large Alvis of that age. I had the complete Profile set of booklets so I knew what a 4.3 Alvis was. Garage is now the Texaco

6 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Always hearing about buried cars, 100E behind a council house and a motorbike in my girlfriend's dad's back garden for a start. Must be an easier way to get rid of them?

ISTR that back in the day you had to pay to get rid of scrap cars, and that scrap itself didn't have any value (as it doesn't from time to time these days). Certainly, djimbob's Dad cut up and buried the remains of an engine donor Thames 400E at the end of his garden when we were kids.

10 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Always hearing about buried cars, 100E behind a council house and a motorbike in my girlfriend's dad's back garden for a start. Must be an easier way to get rid of them?

Yeah i'd have thought so too to, be honest but when you see all the cars that just used to be abandoned on scrap land, I suppose many just got left in gardens & perhaps gradually just sank or got earth piled on them perhaps?

I've lived in this village for more than 50 years.  45ish years ago I removed the rotten body of a B-plateBeetle from its floorpan, chopped it into lumps with an axe and buried the worthless bits of shell in a handy and large hole in Mums garden.

You can just see it in this 1969 pic., before rust and my axe finished it. The hole is about 20ft from where the car was.

2027853493_Screenshot2020-04-09at18_49_43.thumb.png.e6441f3d98d9826c4cc2517ed9a8dddb.png

Every so often this info comes back to me from villagers, always wildly exaggerated, along the lines of. "So&so told me he'd heard your folks buried an early, rare and perfect Volkswagen back before they were valuable. You should dig it up. Like on TV. Worth ££££."

• 2 weeks later...