Early start on a collection thread... To build excitement*!

shedinagarden

Good choice sir. My parents had one of these as a “courtesy” car when their Octavia’s clutch and DMF went bang in a big way.

The only things I remember about it is that it was green and the gearstick comically jumped back and forth under acceleration. Oh and that Nubira means cross-cross.

Safe trip home, looking forward to seeing more about this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly, I am overwhelmed for the *love of the Nubira. Thank you all for your kind comments. It's remarkable to see what would normally be a car purchase failure be applauded by like-minded loons, errr, folk. ;-)

OK, so here's what I learned on the way home. 

This 1999 Daewoo Nubira CDX Auto has had just two owners from new. Registered in Reading (according to the plate at least) and last residing in our *beautiful capital city. 

It's remarkably "tighter" than my Leganza, which incidentally has 10k fewer miles. This Nubira has a solid feel: no rattles, bangs, knocks or squeaks.

@Talbot - not that awful! OK, the auto doesn't do it huge favours. You put your foot down, she kicks down and you get a lot more noise and very little in the way of extra forward motion! But from a standstill - probably more thanks to a sensitive throttle rather than anything else - she is very spritely. That's the same engine and box as my Leganza.

There's some lovely "period" features, all in good order:

On the buses, we call it moquette. Goodness knows what it's called in cars! Velour?? Either way, it's comfortable, and preferable to leather in my thwarted opinion!IMG_20200414_180701093_HDR.thumb.jpg.ff3f69bda7f0b3c9e495f5adda4c2244.jpg

Loving this sticker in the windscreen:

IMG_20200414_180235424_HDR.thumb.jpg.623a759de1a553a556ca935384638c9f.jpg

Anyway. The paint is in terrible shape. Looks like it's been parked under a tree for a bit, and not washed for some time! So, that'll keep me busy over the coming days. I think the interior will come up mint. Outside, a T-cut and wax will see to the most of it, but the bumpers and the offside rear door need some more serious work, in time. 

So, there we have it? Bored yet? I hope so: it's what it's built for! ;-)

6 hours ago, dome said:

Were these still Vauxhalls under the skin at this age?

No, I believe this was a new platform, designated J100. I think it was only ever the Nexia that was a rehashed Vauxhall in the UK?

The Nubira and the Leganza are both powered by a GM engine though and, in the case of my pair, mated to a ZF 4-speed auto. 

19 minutes ago, shedinagarden said:

No, I believe this was a new platform, designated J100. I think it was only ever the Nexia that was a rehashed Vauxhall in the UK?

The Nubira and the Leganza are both powered by a GM engine though and, in the case of my pair, mated to a ZF 4-speed auto. 

There was the Espero as well which was a rehashed Cavalier, the Nexia being Mk2 Astra based IIRC. 

You put your foot down, she kicks down and you get a lot more noise 

Noise is often underrated :)

You have inspired me to get off my arse and try and purchase and collect some chod (not in your league of choddiness, but been on my want list for many years). I can justify 2/3rds of the journey - visiting elderly parents to deliver supplies. It's the last 1/3rd that will give me roadblock nerves.

13 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

I can justify 2/3rds of the journey...:)

If you go somewhere, you have to come back... ;-)

I managed to jump on this because it worked in with some fleet movements for a local bus firm I am helping out.

I figured it was actually probably safer for me to buy some chod and drive it home rather than infect everyone on a train (or be infected myself).  I wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't making a trip that way anyway. Or, I'd have found somewhere else for it to stay in the meantime.

Around the whole Corona thing, I think we just have to be responsible and sensible. When I was out and about I didn't touch anything, stayed around 20m from anyone and everyone. It's actually quite easy at the moment, even in London I found.