MCM

Out Run

Not an episode goes by, without Marty referring to his MR2 turbo as rusty. 
I find this odd, as shitty fasteners aside, it’s sound. 

I know they don’t have much experience with rust, but they have dealt with it. When the body is fine, the car is pretty rust free, IMO.

He goes on like he needs to sweep the thing off the floor, every time he gets the spanners out. I reckon it’s cos these are a bastard to work on - which he often states - and he’s just venting. :-)

Not that I've seen many, but Morty's Mister Poo looks the cleanest one I've ever seen. Fair enough bolts snap and shit on it but I couldn't really see any rust on the car. It's not like it's gonna need the sills or the sponge voids doing or anything is it?

Suppose you have to have a gimmick though.  RUSTY OLD NUGGIT. 

I bet it will drop piss on the Moon-bug from quite a height in head to head tests too. 

Based on working on my Corolla of nearly the same vintage as the MR2, he's sort of right. About 50% of the bolts I took off that Corolla broke off through rust. The chassis itself though had no rust. It just seemed to be the bolts holding it together.

However I think that particular MR2 has had some water damage in its life. The rust in places does seem odd. 

The VW Buggy thing can get in the bin though. Hateful thing. 

3 hours ago, Skut said:

As much as MCM is a reality show it always tries to build a narrative sometimes a bit unnecessarily, and part of their MR2 narrative is that its a rotbox.  

Perhaps it's also an attempt to paper over the glaring disparity between a Turbo MR2 and 70s Bug. 

True enough. This whole build series is a bit odd in general.

Nice to see Marty having time graft a bit, even with his fancy lift and transmission jack etc. The lad is clearly very skilled, but lack of access will put the dampeners on it for anyone!

Reading between the lines, it sounds as though he plans to keep this car. Yet MOOG wants to crush it, should he win.

Ooh, the suspense*!

29 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

I used to like MCM but 1) not really into newer Jap stuff and 2) Moog really gets on my tits. Like Marty though

The 240Z, Stagea, Mini and Super Gramps builds they done were peak MCM/Skid Factory for me.

The recent Yaris and all the boring track comparison stuff isn’t for me, and I was losing interest. But I can relate to this Toyota, so it’s interesting to finally see one on their channel.

They both seem decent people to me, but MOOG is clearly less skilled. Marty could have his own show/channel and I would watch it.

23 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Not that I've seen many, but Morty's Mister Poo looks the cleanest one I've ever seen. Fair enough bolts snap and shit on it but I couldn't really see any rust on the car. It's not like it's gonna need the sills or the sponge voids doing or anything is it?

Suppose you have to have a gimmick though.  RUSTY OLD NUGGIT. 

I bet it will drop piss on the Moon-bug from quite a height in head to head tests too. 

Aye, imagine if he looks inside said sponge voids and sees a bit of surface rust on the 30 year old inner sills. Call the wreckers and take it to the junk yard! :-)

I think these things are very resistant to rust. A few now are having the outer sills done, but not a lot more than that.

The tests will be interesting. That moon buggy looked quick in the little squirts in the underground car park. I bet it will be a blast on the beach or dunes.

I also don’t get the rebuilt turbo, CoP, new ECU, CC, downpipe etc if that MR2 is still running a paper head gasket, as that generation do as standard.

Maybe it is to hold it back some?

10 minutes ago, sgtberbatov said:

Based on working on my Corolla of nearly the same vintage as the MR2, he's sort of right. About 50% of the bolts I took off that Corolla broke off through rust. The chassis itself though had no rust. It just seemed to be the bolts holding it together.

However I think that particular MR2 has had some water damage in its life. The rust in places does seem odd. 

The VW Buggy thing can get in the bin though. Hateful thing. 

My MR2 is a 1992 JDM import, brought over in 2006. So very similar to that one.

I think Toyota fasteners of that era are made of cheese. Annoying, but give me that any day, over the car itself being made of that. It’s why mine doesn’t currently have any under trays, as most of the bolts holding them on, snapped. The front ends are particularly bad on these, I put it down to not enough heat in that part of the car, to dry things out.

The bumper is a twat to get off, and the fog lights do need drilling out, but it’s a small price to pay when you do, and your crossmember, sills and floor pan etc etc are fine. I have mates with much newer 200sx’s and they have both had so many patches - but they have better quality fasteners. Makes you laugh.

Sorry to hear your Corolla is the same, with the fasteners! You can’t knock a Toyota of this generation for being screwed together badly, though.

Maybe I haven’t been paying close enough attention, but what odd rust? I only remember the flaky rad fans and OE condenser etc turning to dust. Standard stuff.

The buggy looks like shit! That engine needs to be stuck in a Cal Look Beetle, for me.

28 minutes ago, dome said:

I wanted to get into it after seeing the Roadkill crossover episode but it doesn't do it for me. 

I was similar with a Roadkill, for ages. Then (before the colab) I ‘got it’. I think it’s because like with MCM, they do varied things. I tried to watch Roadkill from the start, and it was shit.

Then @filthyjohn showed me the episode where they were murdering an SRT10 Viper, Challenger etc and I enjoyed it. I think I have seen them all, now. As well as other HRG stuff and I usually watch Finnegan.

2 minutes ago, Out Run said:

I was similar with a Roadkill, for ages. Then (before the colab) I ‘got it’. I think it’s because like with MCM, they do varied things. I tried to watch Roadkill from the start, and it was shit.

Stopped watching Roadkill when it went pay per view, but just took the 14 day freebie and have been mainlining them while stuck at home. Some weak ones, but really liked the one where they bolted/welded to 4x4's to each other. Seemed weird in the description but was a really great episode.

As for MCM. I've stopped watching it of late. That whole lets stick a turbo to a Yaris didn;t really do anything for me, and not really watched the MR2 described as above. However being stuck at home will probably watch it eventually.

As an aside its weird that not really been watching much TV whilst at home. Been watching all the You Tube channels. Best thing I ever did was connect the PC to the TV and a wireless keyboard :)

Yeah, Roadkill can be a bit hit and miss. Finnegan and Tony D'Angelo doing drag week in Blasphemy last year though was one of the best episodes.

I pay the fiver a month for Motortrend but I've barely scratched the surface of what's on there. 

I really enjoyed Ant Anstead building his 1950s F1 replica. 

10 minutes ago, gadgetgricey said:

Stopped watching Roadkill when it went pay per view, but just took the 14 day freebie and have been mainlining them while stuck at home. Some weak ones, but really liked the one where they bolted/welded to 4x4's to each other. Seemed weird in the description but was a really great episode.

As for MCM. I've stopped watching it of late. That whole lets stick a turbo to a Yaris didn;t really do anything for me, and not really watched the MR2 described as above. However being stuck at home will probably watch it eventually.

As an aside its weird that not really been watching much TV whilst at home. Been watching all the You Tube channels. Best thing I ever did was connect the PC to the TV and a wireless keyboard :)

I get Motortrend as part of the IPTV service I honestly didn’t subscribe to for £40pa. But I barely watch any of it. I say I have seen all the Roadkill stuff, I forgot they went PPV. I don’t think I have seen any episodes, since!

I was going the same way with MCM. The Yaris made sense at first, stick a $200 engine in, cobble the test together and leave it at that. Even then it was boring.

Yeah, most of the TV I watch is YouTube. It gets better and better, on a whole. Very little need for anything else.

I wish I could find more episodes of Car Fix, somewhere. Seen that? One minute they are adding Vintage Air to a muscle car, then it’s fuel pumps in a TT Supra, then dropping the powertrain out of an F355... pretty cool.

1 minute ago, dome said:

Yeah, Roadkill can be a bit hit and miss. Finnegan and Tony D'Angelo doing drag week in Blasphemy last year though was one of the best episodes.

I pay the fiver a month for Motortrend but I've barely scratched the surface of what's on there. 

I really enjoyed Ant Anstead building his 1950s F1 replica. 

That Tony seems a cool guy. Blasphemi and the Drag Week stuff was good, yeah. I think I saw that. Maybe it was the year before? 
That car is a fun thing, regardless.

Never seen too much of Ant, but I like him and would watch anything featuring him - even it means having to suffer through Philip Glennister. :-)

Hotrod Garage with Tony Angeloo and Lucky Costa is great too. Mainly ramp work which is always interesting. The Cuda Drift build and Pick Up Truck on Crown Vic chassis were both great. As was the Bone-maro drag car. Think that runs 10s on under 10 grand spent. Maybe quicker. 

Also on Motor Trend on demand. 

30 minutes ago, Out Run said:

My MR2 is a 1992 JDM import, brought over in 2006. So very similar to that one.

I think Toyota fasteners of that era are made of cheese. Annoying, but give me that any day, over the car itself being made of that. It’s why mine doesn’t currently have any under trays, as most of the bolts holding them on, snapped. The front ends are particularly bad on these, I put it down to not enough heat in that part of the car, to dry things out.

The bumper is a twat to get off, and the fog lights do need drilling out, but it’s a small price to pay when you do, and your crossmember, sills and floor pan etc etc are fine. I have mates with much newer 200sx’s and they have both had so many patches - but they have better quality fasteners. Makes you laugh.

Sorry to hear your Corolla is the same, with the fasteners! You can’t knock a Toyota of this generation for being screwed together badly, though.

Maybe I haven’t been paying close enough attention, but what odd rust? I only remember the flaky rad fans and OE condenser etc turning to dust. Standard stuff.

The buggy looks like shit! That engine needs to be stuck in a Cal Look Beetle, for me.

Yeah I agree with the sentiments generally stated. They seem to be ok structurally but anything chassis related will be seized solid. Supras, IS200s, always locked solid. Bolts stuck in buses, eccentric bolt heads stuck against the subframes, adjustable track rods locked solid- everything. Those rear toe arms on SW20 MR2s were a nightmare if they hadn't moved for a while.

51 minutes ago, Out Run said:

That Tony seems a cool guy. Blasphemi and the Drag Week stuff was good, yeah. I think I saw that. Maybe it was the year before? 
That car is a fun thing, regardless.

Never seen too much of Ant, but I like him and would watch anything featuring him - even it means having to suffer through Philip Glennister. :-)

Nah, it was pretty recent, last summer I'm sure. It was on Finnegan's Garage on YouTube too but it's worth getting a Motortrend Trial to get it on Roadkill.

Roadkill Garage is pretty good too. Steve Dulchich and David Frieburger messing about with old muscle cars mainly

2 minutes ago, dome said:

Nah, it was pretty recent, last summer I'm sure. It was on Finnegan's Garage on YouTube too but it's worth getting a Motortrend Trial to get it on Roadkill.

Roadkill Garage is pretty good too. Steve Dulchich and David Frieburger messing about with old muscle cars mainly

Ah, it will have been Finnegan’s Garage where I saw it, then. Makes sense!

I have Motortrend as part of IPTV. I just never really watch it. Telly time gets pretty swallowed by YouTube.

Prompted by this I just sat and watched the Roadkill where Finnegan and D'Angelo resurrect an old Charger that was built as a racecar 50 years previously but never turned a wheel. It's class, especially when they take it back to the guy who originally built it ?

I've watched MCM for a number of years and some episodes are really interesting, other less so.

I like WatchJRGo for the variety of cars he and his mates work on. Whether that be an engine swap on  his twin turbo Audi R8 (that has yet to be completed), fixing up cheap $300 cars to sell on immediately, the conversion of a Rolls Royce to a burn out car (cost must be running into $10's of thousands by now). Most done in his or his friends garages, no two post lifts but using axle stands. Clever bloke, never fazed by any issue, electrical or mechanical.

And the car store he uses,  O'Reilly's, seem to have nearly everything  he ever needs in stock for every car he fixes. Love to go shopping in one of their stores.

3 hours ago, dome said:

Prompted by this I just sat and watched the Roadkill where Finnegan and D'Angelo resurrect an old Charger that was built as a racecar 50 years previously but never turned a wheel. It's class, especially when they take it back to the guy who originally built it ?

That old bloke gave 0 fucks like. 

*Hey would you like to drive it*

(Pokerface) No. 

*Oh. Ok*

1 hour ago, Skut said:

Does anybody watch the Car Throttle channel with Alex Garsteng I think he's called.  It seems to have loads of views but its never mentioned in car circles that I notice.  I find it all a bit bland and smug.

I sometimes watch it. Kerstan I think is his name. Bland and smug sums it up. I even hate the name and the logo. Shite.

I've never seen this before but out of curiosity I looked up their channel on facetube.

As already mentioned some episodes are pretty good, with some good information. Others are over the top, so with some picking and choosing there is some decent stuff to watch. 

I did enjoy the supercharging of the A-Series Jap Mini. Whilst fitting a B Series Honda to a Jap Mini isn't my thing the engineering work was done well and its his car so he can do what he wants to it.