1977 Princess 1.8 HL

phil_lihp

Not the only Princess out in that horrible rain, guess who was on errands when it hit.  Bet yours was SIGNIFICANTLY more waftastic though.  Looks so much better sitting up at proper height, I don't know what it is about Hydrasag cars, they always look like the most knackered things ever when the suspension has dropped, even if its dropped evenly.

Well that went well.

Went for a drive and all was well, ride and handling are a lot better but I'll get the tracking done to finish it off.  

On my way home though, I got a surprise when this happened...

20200817_184947.thumb.jpg.ba722667225305fcac38c32ed14b6d3c.jpg

I managed to get home by holding it up and mostly getting the gear I wanted, the view from underneath confirms that something ain't right.

20200817_185346.thumb.jpg.b8bf4f8736043664b8b80007ea1bfcda.jpg

I'm guessing some bolts have gone missing, when it's drier I'll investigate as this is a bit of an obstacle to actually driving it.

Quick shift yo.

20200818_190313.thumb.jpg.e6f863bccd800c0705f384441092c4a5.jpg

Fixed it.

20200818_190430.thumb.jpg.efa32c67f80c207d3dfd57547be5b93b.jpg

A poke underneath to clarify what's going on...

20200818_191123.thumb.jpg.af59397f623f098f1fd2ceb2449c5cca.jpg

20200818_191116.thumb.jpg.285243b11669b4e66afd04b3041b356d.jpg

Can't work out what's missing here.  Rubber bits are just buffers, there's what looks like a bolt hole in the bit it must attach to but nothing corresponding on the shift mechanism.  Haynes is not much help.

I walked the bit of road where it happened but didn't find anything useful.  Any thoughts?

Just now, phil_lihp said:

Super, thanks chaps, I was overthinking it as usual.  Seems rather obvious in hindsight,

I shall look for some suitable replacements, I'd assume anything of similar dimension with a bolt through it would work.

You've lived a very sheltered life, not knowing about those!  You could possibly use a through bolt with a rubber doughnut (for example a household door stop) above and below the gearbox plate, but it needs some flexibility for noise/vibration insulation.

2 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

You've lived a very sheltered life, not knowing about those!  You could possibly use a through bolt with a rubber doughnut (for example a household door stop) above and below the gearbox plate, but it needs some flexibility for noise/vibration insulation.

Never heard of them before, every day is a school day!  This car is also by a considerable margin the oldest one I've ever owned and my abilities with a spanner are somewhat amateurish.  I also have other excuses if anyone would like them but those are my favourites.

3 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

No,needs to be a rubber bonded mounting,is,two studs bonded into the rubber,so the middle is flexible,a bolt through the middle effectively means bolting it solid to the car,and the rubber will do nothing.

Google cotton reel mount etc.almost certainly unf thread.

Brilliant, thanks very much, this is massively helpful.

1 minute ago, phil_lihp said:

They look good - I was going to say there is a range of sizes so they may not be actual exhaust bobbins, they look larger,