1977 Princess 1.8 HL

phil_lihp

I've been busy this weekend and as a result the Princess is looking a bit sorry for itself at present.  A rather large item has been removed and is now at the painters.

20200929_123536.thumb.jpg.467c0b46fc17b92bd4b21ebae321a58e.jpg

20200929_123630.thumb.jpg.db8876f1b35720e5e8d843c42cf1de6a.jpg

I also dropped the fuel tank out ready to be cleaned out.  I'll see about fixing the fuel sender and it'll then go to the same guy for a repair on the small leak that's appeared.

20200926_131757.thumb.jpg.d3aafeb90d76588971051482ab701a02.jpg

I'm just a bit tempted to paint it green so it looks like a Quality Street triangle.

20200926_131809.thumb.jpg.49892a1f9bb2d0503a55574200171375.jpg

He reckons he can fix this quite easily.  Its handy that the tank has a removable lid, not so handy that it turned out to be full but I now have a large quantity of petrol which can be distributed around the fleet once its settled in the container.

Watch this space.

39 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

I dont remember that removeable lid on the Ambassdor tanks I messed with back in the day!!! Most unusual, I recon someone has added that themselves at some point

You might be right but the car is so original in every other respect, had the same owner from 1977 until 2019, was parked up untouched from 1992 and there's not much sign that the tank has ever been out so I'm inclined to think this might be an original feature!

IMG-20200929-WA0002.jpeg

Well now I'm curious because it's exactly the right shape for a road sign!  

To be perfectly honest it might have come out of the factory like that anyway, maybe they grabbed a tank off the production line, used it during a walkout when they couldn't find an oil drum and then bashed an old road sign over it before it was fitted to the next car on the line.  

We'll find out at the weekend!

1 hour ago, phil_lihp said:

You might be right but the car is so original in every other respect, had the same owner from 1977 until 2019, was parked up untouched from 1992 and there's not much sign that the tank has ever been out so I'm inclined to think this might be an original feature!

IMG-20200929-WA0002.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

You might find when you remove the lid and turn it over its one of these:

men-at-work-zintec-in-frame-main-crop-18

I genuinely thought for a confusing moment it was some sort of Light up road sign etc and was going to ask for a picture of the lamps/tubes fitted LOL

That tank panel is a new one on me too.  These tanks do rot out on the underside and the flange when they're left stood for a while but usually the tops stay pretty good because they're well protected from the elements so I don't know why someone would do that.  I wonder if it was something to do with the tow bar installation, maybe it got damaged in the past and this was the repair?  No idea, very odd.  Definitely do paint it metallic green before refitting it now you've said that.

There is no pump, it's in the engine bay.  The whole thing makes zero sense.  But they did manage to bend the pickup pipe around the fuel float so it's stuck down.

I did manage to pump all the dregs out at least so next job is to clean it up and pull out the sender before it goes for a small repair on the seam.

1 hour ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Why didn't they put that triangular 'door' on the bottom of the tank? Would have been much easier to access then. Honestly! F***ing idiots man.

Pretty sure it would leak horrendously, I'm almost suspicious that the dribble I've had recently is due to the tank having been full and the sealer under the 'door' breaking down.  I'll have to find something to reseal it afterwards anyway and I'm not 100% sold on those screws either.  Tempted to have it welded on!

42 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

They didn't just cut a massive hole to get to the pump, surely?  Since the sender isn't even in the right way around it makes even less sense to cut a massive hole in the top.  I'm so confused right now, this is so confusing.

I see what you mean, the sender is in sideways!

I'm moderately certain all Princesses had the pump (SD1 pump is the same) in the tank.  If that's the case it looks like the brackets that would hold it to the pick up tube on yours are gone too.  If not, you'd have a mechanical pump fixed to the engine somewhere and, since it's a B series, you should be able to retrofit one anyway which is generally more reliable than any sort of clacky electric pump screwed into the engine bay.

It could be a road sign that just says 'please help' in very small print, with a location code somewhere and they were betting that BL's reputation for rust and degradation would mean the tank came out in the 1980s.  Unfortunately the car was parked up so long that they've long since perished...

I can't recall if it was my Dads Princess or Ambassador that sucked in the petrol tank around 5 miles from him buying it off the forecourt, simply because the garage has put on a replacement, non vented petrol cap. 

Frankly I'd replace that tank, its got too much of the Heath Robinson going on for me.

• phil_lihp changed the title to 1977 Princess 1.8 HL - UnSaggy Brown Joy: Tanks a lot