REB's Workshop

reb

3 hours ago, hairnet said:

@reb

how far do ya ride them things in one go?

graeme obree stylee or wee potter?

I have to admit I've not ridden one in anger in a number of years! I used to be quite quick though, I was very good at quite rapidly getting myself further away from home than I was capable of riding back.

Thank you to anyone that joined in for what was ultimately a fruitless stream. Back home now, taking the frame to someone more experienced in the art of seized thing removal in the morning. I'm going to have my dinner and try and put a coherent video together out of 3+ hours of incoherent babbling/dead air. I will be back again at ????hrs tomorrow, hopefully with something more interesting to watch! I really need a better way of staying aware of the chat, I couldn't really move my phone away from the laptop as it was tethered for interwebs using USB.

As for the multi-camera thing, I've some ideas about how to best utilize the capability, as I don't really have a practical limit to the number of cameras and a proper two camera setup would make things a lot easier!

9 minutes ago, PhilA said:

"This video is blocked in your country due to copyright infringement of Sony Music Entertainment"

I suppose that'll happen when you spend 3 hours playing a Spotify playlist of copyrighted music lol

Screenshot_20200406-171833_YouTube.thumb.jpg.a177165c76d816322459ef8abc5bf530.jpg

The edited version will have a lot less dead air so less chance of content ID blocking the video. Nobody needs 3 hours of me fannying around anyway!

Today's main jobs are replacing the rear shock mounts and adjusting the front alignment. I would have done it yesterday, but I didn't think to check if there was batteries in the alignment gauge I borrowed from Dad. On the plus side that's given me time to find out the specs at my leisure.

20200413_161228.thumb.jpg.6134f39022ccabb86fa0f51369b1e486.jpg

I'm going to check the rear too, but won't be adjusting it as the procedure is a bit more involved and I don't think this gauge is really suitable for the rear as it only checks the alignment relative to the opposite wheel. I feel like that wouldn't really work at the rear as the wheels are fixed, so need to be aligned relative to the car? Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much!

I've never adjusted tracking on a car before, nor have I actually changed a track rod end, Dad always took over! Well, now it's my turn to take over!

As a small aside; should I keep it on my wanker pl8, or should Mavisnotmavis be Mavis again? I would still keep her on pressed plates for their utility, but I think to many P422 MVS means a lot more than N321 REB. If I do keep it on my plate, should I replace the mangled front plate with my spare, or should I embrace the DILIGAF? Bearing in mind she is currently missing her grille and has fairly obvious deer strike damage on the bonnet and wing.

I'm inclined to agree, it's not even that mangled all things considered.

20200414_115241.thumb.jpg.ed35d4b6c200cb7d3d47abd0b96e9886.jpg

Don't have appropriate spanners for either job. Piss. Could go get them from the house, but seems like a wasted journey. I'll have to find something to do.

Got a very welcome phone call last night, though with the air of a vet telling you your horse made it but only has one leg now to the mechanic's voice.

20200421_092448.thumb.jpg.7dc282bccb84a3bc97cd52f6f29159e9.jpg

The culprit:

20200421_092452.thumb.jpg.cdde415d01750d5829b3df88730212ce.jpg

No point wasting time, better get on with it!

20200421_110657.thumb.jpg.2df918e72256c675a7c25f751f9249b9.jpg

About to start sanding in a minute or 15. Got the worst of the crap paint off, no point in going full bare metal on this or I'll be here forever, I'll just have to be careful about my prep.