Scrappage scheme on TV....

Waderider

I don't know if this is relevant outside Scotland, but should definitely be worth watching and if you scan your schedules it might be on in Englandshire, and elsewhere also.STV (Scottish ITV), 8pm 30th October "The Car Scrap Trap". Hopefully this program will inform Joe Public with honesty about the wrong-headedness of the scrappage scheme. From the program description in my Mythtv schedules it certainly seems on the wavelength of this forum.I'll probably 'bump' this thread the day before.......

Thought the entire media was totally biased towards greedy '10 year old cars are crap, ugh they're horrible, get them away, want a new bottom of the range BMW 1 series, next door has a new bottom of the range Mercedes 1.4 A-class, and the other side has a brand new bottom of the range Megane 1.2' agenda.

I was almost cheering as I watched this!! It made such a refreshing change to finally hear some sense being spoken at last. I simply don't understand why environmentalists weren't screaming about the illogical bollocks the government were/are spouting about how green this scheme is!!

Well I enjoyed that.. it seemed pretty anti scrappage overall, but the points made were very fair I thought. It was interesting to see that when they brought out four random cars traded in on scrappage that two of the were low mileage minters. Im glad that at least somebody has highlighted the wastefulness of it all!

Normal chinless minister just spouting garbage, should of put him in the crusher and recycled him

Yeah, if I was the interviewer, I would've vomitted and said 'What the fuck are you talking about?' and then pulverised the workshy fop with the camera, before squeezing every last gram of his worthless life out of his scrawny neck. :idea:

I was half expecting the usual anti-car crap we're so used to getting from the media, so I was really pleased with this programme. Particularly liked the fact that the classic car argument got shown too, there have been far too many decent old motors lost for ever as a result of this stupid scheme.

Really nice to see the anti-scrappage argument put forward. I was worried it would be a boring half hour about financing a new car, so was very pleased when they covered the environmental issues and even the classic car problem.

The arguement with the minister:"Isn't it not very environmentally conscious or mature to scrap perfectly usable cars?""Will you be saying that when the electric car comes in?"

Ha, I yelled at my TV when he spouted that irrelevant nonsense. But my favourite bit was the family scrapping their Nissan Micra because "it's starting to cost us money" *writes cheque for new car*

But my favourite bit was the family scrapping their Nissan Micra because "it's starting to cost us money" *writes cheque for new car*

Oh yeah, me too, I actually shouted at the TV at that point! :oops: He even went on to say that they'd had to spend money on an exhaust!!! Do new cars never need exhausts then? :twisted: What an uttter moron! :roll:

The fact that evryone seems to forget is that this scheme is costing the Government nowhere near £1000 a car. If a punter decides, just on the basis of this scheme, to buy a new conveyance, the Vat payed on the new purchase goes an awful long way to making up that £1000...........

The arguement with the minister:"Isn't it not very environmentally conscious or mature to scrap perfectly usable cars?""Will you be saying that when the electric car comes in?"Greed wins in all cases I'm afraid.

That was priceless wasn't it, what a vacuous fool :roll: The other interesting point was the selection of new models where the list price seems to have risen by almost exactly £2000 in most cases since the scheme came in :evil: down to 'increased manufacturing costs' apparently :roll::roll:

Don't blame the environmentalists for this one. They too are up in arms about the wastage of perfectly good cars, and especially that there is no limit on the CO2 emissions of cars bought, unlike in Germany and Spain. Are we going against EU guidelines :shock:

Is it too late to mass produce stickers saying:

SCRAPPAGE - GREED NOT GREEN

The fact that evryone seems to forget is that this scheme is costing the Government nowhere near £1000 a car. If a punter decides, just on the basis of this scheme, to buy a new conveyance, the Vat payed on the new purchase goes an awful long way to making up that £1000...........

Yeh, but thats money that may have been spent elsewhere creating VAT that wasn't given back as a discount, so it does cost the government.