Alan's minimal Clio restoration...

Alan Prost

Well here is my splendid Clio having recently taken possesion from rusty998, whom was selling on behalf of a friend.

The car has turned out to be a fun little hack, just over 80k on the clock with cambelt done at 76k. To top it all off the AC blows nice and cold.?

The car has a few niggles, the key does not turn back on the ignition so the starter motor keeps cranking... no big issue as I just turn the key back, the other problem being the central locking that will not work from the fob, tried the hold down red light reset thing but no resolve yet...

There are some cosmetics on the car that I have spent little to no time repairing with some touch up paint from the bay for a tenner, the rest of the restoration consisted of a hoover/ wash and some wheel trims, also off the bay and I believe for a megane kiddie shifter, they are renault parts and as cheap as halfords pop offs for 19 notes.

Having got this far with the restoration I can now look forward to cruising.

If anyone has one I am in the market for a renault basic radio so that I can work the volume controls off the stalk. ?

496522344_cliotrims.thumb.JPG.e532ff57719cd10fda482aeac8cdef80.JPG

clio.thumb.JPG.709314ce391be35e7e33d5cf196310d0.JPG

IMG_3416.thumb.JPG.619058260d3200e4b58be5f56185dce5.JPG

Tyres have nice grooves and stay inflated.. tried tinkering with the inner spring in the key, still no joy!

Forgot to mention the budget, all in with the restoration we are at £260... need some new wipers but plan on hitting my nice scrap yard for these (old school one where they give you a section of ladder so you can balance on the stacked cars like a circus entertainer whilst getting your booty). 

Just now, Broadsword said:

Looks excellent. Lovely colour too. I have a soft sport for this particular incarnation of the Clio. I really like the styling for some reason, kind of have a hankering for one once in a while. What’s it like to drive?

Good little drive, nippy but not fast being a 1.4 16V'er

I got it because I love the front ugly lights, not everyone's cup of tea, but it's not IMO that far from an old school Twingo front!

Just now, Alan Prost said:

Good little drive, nippy but not fast being a 1.4 16V'er

I got it because I love the front ugly lights, not everyone's cup of tea, but it's not IMO that far from an old school Twingo front!

That is exactly why I like it funnily enough. 1.4, how posh! Probably just as frugal as the 1.2, but with more go.

11 hours ago, Alan Prost said:

If anyone has one I am in the market for a renault basic radio so that I can work the volume controls off the stalk. ?

I have one from the same era Megane I think, if you know whether that will fit? Or you can purchase an adapter to be able to use Sony (amongst others) head units with the original controls.

5 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

I have one from the same era Megane I think, if you know whether that will fit? Or you can purchase an adapter to be able to use Sony (amongst others) head units with the original controls.

It would be the push buttons with no display as this is at the top of the consul, would be much appreciated....

If its a renner one hopefully the adaptors could come of the leads and it would plug and play!