1925 Trojan

plasticvandan

I've also found these cars to be very interesting, from since I were a nipper. There must've been one in a car book I had.

Great to see that strange engine in bits. I'm still not entirely sure how it works tho...

Have a few shots from Brooklands taken in recent years. ADV3774 was registered in Southern Rhodesia.

trojan_1.thumb.jpg.c8b48359f1fd76cb32c8459328587f45.jpg

trojan_2.thumb.jpg.5ca04a3e8d26075e94ccf32ddae3e124.jpg

trojan_3.thumb.jpg.70f3d41007332a50bfbf5ffdaa516847.jpg

trojan_4.thumb.jpg.da3ec78d13c296297241667b29332e1c.jpg

41 minutes ago, davocano said:

Have a few shots from Brooklands taken in recent years. ADV3774 was registered in Southern Rhodesia.

BF7987 and ADV are one and the same car, pre- and post-restoration. John has put pneumatics on so he can trial it.

PD7704 is Jim's car, and XU is another local one to me belonging to Roger Armstrong

5 hours ago, plasticvandan said:

All working,Wednesday was getting the ignition working again,carb and exhaust attached and:

Awesome stuff!

never seen a starting mechensiem like that, I thought that was the hand brake at first!

im guessing it works like a motorcycle kickstart or pull starter except with a honking big pull lever and your arm! LOL

being 2 stroke does it run on premix or is it another type of setup?

2 hours ago, davocano said:

ADV3774 was registered in Southern Rhodesia.

1 hour ago, barrett said:

BF7987 and ADV are one and the same car, pre- and post-restoration. John has put pneumatics on so he can trial it.

ADV3774, 3 letter 4 digit non irish/NI registration mark, thats weird, going by the fact its on an age related BF plate, Im guessing said first registration was not a british one?

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

ADV3774, 3 letter 4 digit non irish/NI registration mark, thats weird, going by the fact its on an age related BF plate, Im guessing said first registration was not a british one?

Yes, ADV is the Rhodesian plate, it has no relationship to British numbering systems! It was registered with the BF plate later

That model is gorgeous angrydicky :-) wish the car was as nice,it's being a total shit and we have run out of ideas,I've had it run for about 20 seconds once today,and apart from the occasional fire,it's not having it.cracking spark,pretty sure the timing is right,it behaves like it's flooded so been starting with full throttle,then it seems to run out of fuel.plugs aren't getting wet either,and I've run out of easy start

Usual favourite for that sort of symptoms on a two stroke would be a vacuum leak around one of the seals into the crankcase.

I'd give it a decent squirt of fuel down the plug hole into each cylinder then see what happens.  I've always found two strokes can be a bit of a git to get to go the first couple of times after a long hibernation.  Getting the plugs roasting hot before throwing them back into the head can often be helpful.  After dropping some fuel into the cylinders, I'd start with choke off, half throttle and see where you get.  Obviously every engine is different and experimentation will be needed.

If it runs for a second or two but then dies repeatably I'd start looking at the carb to make sure you're getting fuel.  What sort of carb setup does this run?

This has a large brass Trojan carb,fixed jets.the engine has no crank seals like you would find in a normal 2 stroke engine.im pretty well versed in strokers as I've been riding mzs for 15 years,but this is being a twat.the carb has for some reason had a modified intake fitted, comprising two elbows linked with hose to move the carb to face forwards instead of being bolted direct to the manifold.although it ran (albeit hard to start) with this when my dad got it,I'm thinking that the contorted inlet tract us causing a lack of fuel so I'm going to try getting it back to stock.i did strip,clean and fit new washers to the carb which was loose and leaking,and it's now fuel tight so that's a start.

Does it still have the priming pump fitted? Does it work? If not easy start in the inlet should help, but even standard it must be the longest and least efficient inlet on any car ever. It should take about 16 pulls to fire, don't be despondent if it doesn't go first, fifth or fifteenth time. Offer still stands to put you in touch with the marque guru if you'd like some advice. He knows this car well.

Hi Barrett,yes that would be great,I don't want to give up,as my dad has pretty much and I can't blame him,your inlet tract comment has confirmed my thoughts of what I'm going to try today,and that is to fit the carb onto the manifold and do away with the double elbow,which is basically doubling the length and making it go round a bend! Yes the primer is working very well.

Fantastic thread.

My Grandfather (he died in 1952) had a Trojan as his first company car. He worked for the Kent Messenger in Sittingbourne and would drive out into the Weald of Kent to report on village fetes and cricket matches. A dream job really. 

I don't know whether it was in the distinctive Kent Messenger yellow and black livery his later Austin 7 Box saloon was in, but my Grandmother (she died in 1997 at 103) remembered he hated the knobbly ride and that he destroyed the windscreen because he forgot to fold it down before driving into their converted shed garage.

Still looking for photos but I don't think any exist sadly.

Did any one collect the PG Tips History of the Motor Car cards? I'm 'aware' of quite a few rarer cars due to my exposure to these -eg Mercer, Napier-Railton and the Trojan. In fact as soon as I saw Trojan in the title my first thought was the PG card - the colour, the wheels and the tent like hood. This series was from 1968 - I can't remember what I did last week though...

image.png.41e93a79738cf88aa973499a19da5e11.png

2 minutes ago, martc said:

Did any one collect the PG Tips History of the Motor Car cards? I'm 'aware' of quite a few rarer cars due to my exposure to these -eg Mercer, Napier-Railton and the Trojan. In fact as soon as I saw Trojan in the title my first thought was the PG card - the colour, the wheels and the tent like hood. This series was from 1968 - I can't remember what I did last week though...

image.png.41e93a79738cf88aa973499a19da5e11.png

I think a planner in Tamworth did. Whenever  I drive around that area I think how cool it would be to arrange a car show on there with each make on their respective street.

778C9033-2F79-41E0-8D29-E34FC75F9C2A.thumb.png.2e055be20130f72e85801d51cb4a2dbd.png

It lives! BUT the water jacket gasket is leaking into the combustion chamber,got very hot and has steam cleaned the plugs.not having a picture or thickness idea for the gasket hasn't helped,now I've got to work out if I can take the cover off without removing the engine,as the front engine mounting is this cover :-( as to what stopped it starting,the timing was a mile off,and the distributor drive locator was loose as well.