Rover 75 Colour TV

Heinzy

If anybody is looking to restore their analogue colour tv on their R75 to working order, l can recommend a really good guy. His name is Neil and he is in Birmingham. He fits 2 systems one being a plug in digital box with remote, this needs a wire running to the dash in order to use the remote. The other system to which l opted for, is to remove the gubbins from the original tv box (in the boot) and replace with a  new digital system  and Ariel . This system will continue to use all of the original buttons on the head unit. The prices are around £350 and £450 respectively.  

C670F5EE-15C3-4B0E-98CF-1B323C7008D0.jpeg

4F4711B9-7FC3-4741-B662-BD9347FD65D8.jpeg

D362DDB9-9E8A-4F3B-901A-71A6D3BA0394.jpeg

You are absolutely right, for me it’s about trying to keep all of the original fitments working as much as poss.The navigation system fitted to them is difficult for my eyes to read well, but again it's just trying to keep it all together and working. There are some excellent cheaper larger touch screen units for 75s  and e39s I believe for sale!

Hey hope your keeping ok, yes been busy with both sills repaired and painted along with front and back bumpers re painted.

Tv as stated repaired and new disc for navigation. The windscreen which seems to have been mentioned as an advisory for yonks now repaired too. All suspension arms at rear and petrol tank strap replaced. New chrome trims to all of the exterior. Had new VIS motors too.

As you have mentioned before it runs like a dream!

Im utterly impressed - flabergasted at the cost, but impressed none the less.

As a young driver I had a 5" black and white TV that I mouted in the glove box of a Fiesta. Always thought it was a "babe magnet" but in reality used to sit in a car park at the docks watching late night TV alone until closedown to avoid going home.

14 hours ago, Heinzy said:

There are some excellent cheaper larger touch screen units for 75s  and e39s I believe for sale!

Mine came to me without a stereo as the screen on the original had been smashed.  I fitted the larger-screened version from the later E46 - almost fits straight in the dash, just needs the ends of a couple of brackets hacksawing off.  At the moment the CD player doesn't work as the base unit in the boot still thinks it has a tape player, but I don't really listen to CDs anyway.  The larger screen makes the sat nav a lot more usable, although the colour scheme isn't any better.

I like the idea of a working telly in the car but not sure I'd pay £450 for the privilege.  I have been half thinking about seeing if I can wire up a reversing camera to the TV input somehow.

I occasionally consider fitting a digi TV tuner to my Merc. It's got the older COMAND 2.0 nav system which was available with analogue TV. 

Thing is, whoever ordered the car new didn't order the TV option, so although I've got a button marked TV it has never actually worked. 

It's £90 ish for an adaptor to connect a freeview box to the Nav unit. I might do it one day. 

Similarly mine came without a stereo as (it turned out) the head unit was filled with something sticky, like coffee. I replaced like for like & have working a radio & CD. The Sat nav tells me to 'please wait' ad infinitum & the telly displays white noise/no signal. I am happy with this arrangement and like Wuv would sooner spend £350/£450 on another car. While all you 75 radio folks are reading, does anyone know why a fan whirrs in the boot whenever I open the spare wheel lid thing? It might do it all the time, but I can't hear it from the drivers seat & it doesn't flatten the battery.

Thanks for all the comments, I did forget to say that in with the £450 the guy fitted a reversing camera in the price. Also a USB port in the boot for plugging in stuff.

The whirring sound when you open the boot is l believe the navigation computer waking up, some of these early computers developed a fault where as they didn’t power down ( mine included) and so another unit was required. A test to see if it’s powers down properly is to open the boot and stand and listen to it whirring...the unit should after 2 or 3 mins power down automatically., so long as nothing like a door is opened. 

lam not surprised to hear the E53 is similar to E39 but there were a few a  changes to the system within a short space of years.Mine is Cd based whereas I believe from 2001 the nav computer used dvds . Of course the BMW based  R75 system  had several MKs .... mine as 1999 is a Mk 2 computer.

Chris :)

pic of reversing  camera..!

05A35839-DE94-4371-B053-5DC32C9C4339.png

Yep, mine is DVD based.  A bonus as they are still updating the maps for the DVD system - don't know if they are for the CD version.  I have a base unit that's also compatible with the DVD system and the CD player in the dash unit, but the aerial connections are different so I haven't fitted it - I'm sure you could get an adaptor but it's not bothered me enough to look into it any further.

As Heinzy says, the whirring is the disc drive in the navigation system spooling up.  Mine does shut down after a few minutes fortunately.  I occasionally get the "Please wait..." message when the car has been stood for a while, especially when it's been cold and damp - taking the disc out and giving it a clean normally gets it working again.

2015 is the latest cd disc currently available for the Mk1 computer I believe. Yes lots of newer updates for the dvd system. Actually the cd computers themselves are getting very difficult to obtain now too for early systems! 

Fantastic, I love that you are keeping this as good if not better than new, a monkey does not seem too bad when put into context as what you have is a very smart and stylish car and this cost is one and half months rental on something new and boring. I was quoted the same for a service on my Mondeo! People spend this sort of money on new crap without thinking twice, your money is far better spent the way you have done in my opinion.

On 4/1/2020 at 8:26 PM, Heinzy said:

Actually the cd computers themselves are getting very difficult to obtain now too for early systems! 

I've got one if yours ever shits itself - I assume it works, it made all the right noises, but couldn't test it as the dash unit was missing.

At some point in the future, it's entirely possible that I'll end taking my dad's E39 over, and, as it's one of probably about seven 540is to have been built without Professional Nav, I might well see about an OEM-style retrofit system. The existing radio / OBC displays have done the usual old BMW pixels on strike thing anyway.

Yes I believe  a lot of BMW owners have bought the Alpine board monitors and the other from  scrap 75s for their cars, tbh l don’t think there was that many rovers overall had them fitted. All the Launch’s cars did but the cost as an option to all others including the Connie Se was an eye watering £2300.00 in 1999.

image.jpg

Good job mine isn't the Lowline system then - my IPK screen is pretty much knackered!

Interesting to see those price lists.  I have the original bill of sale for mine - total price was £28,185.01.  Curiously that includes £127.66 for power folding door mirrors which the car doesn't have.