Vintage Photography Archive. New Zealand-1950-60s.

Rab

Back in 2010 my friend Rachel was tired of lugging around boxes of slides she found in a Dunedin recycling centre. Ode to joy..i thought they were so good i scanned as many as i could before the damn machine died. The man behind them was a Mr Drumm who was a taxi driver from Invercargill..he had used a quality camera..perhaps a Leica or a Rolleiflex with a 35mm attachment. I found it really sad that the family just disposed of such an extraordinary personal record of NZ social history. Ill do them in sets of three or sequence just in case u want to comment.

Military parade. Invercargill circa 1958

army 2..jpg

army 3..jpg

army 4..jpg

Classic bike show circa 1958 and the Meremere coal fired power station outside Auckland..newly built..rumour has it they built it the wrong way round!..so the back faced onto the main road instead u seeing its front glass facade...its now been mostly demolished and is now a drag racing-drifting track.

drumm 5.jpg

drumm 6.jpg

drumm 7.jpg

29 minutes ago, Rab said:

A lot of the images are holiday snaps...his first car was a Hillman Minx and then the second was a Holden EH or HR:

1. Auckland harbour bridge and his Mrs.

auckland bridge..jpg

car park 8.jpg

These are flipped, the letters are sdrawkcab and the bridge is going the RONG way. The bridge pic is I think taken from the top of St Marys Rd looking north.

2 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

These are flipped, the letters are sdrawkcab and the bridge is going the RONG way. The bridge pic is I think taken from the top of St Marys Rd looking north.

Adds to the fun..i seriously cant be timelessly consumed putting them all through GIMP-Photoshop.Its exhausting.