purplebargeken

Project Maybe not so Lovely Astra

Nah its fine - I also have a feed from the OBD2 fuse to power a perm live USB charger socket. Not been an issue in the last 4 years or so Ive used one like this.

But Im out in the car for work each day anyway. But thanks for the concern chaps.

Just reminded me of a past colleague who spent 4 months chasing a parasitic drain on his Focus MK2 where the battery only would last a week of not driving. He left an ELM327 adapter in his OBD port for logging stats on some app and forgot he left it in there. 

21 minutes ago, SiC said:

Just reminded me of a past colleague who spent 4 months chasing a parasitic drain on his Focus MK2 where the battery only would last a week of not driving. He left an ELM327 adapter in his OBD port for logging stats on some app and forgot he left it in there. 

Lad has a "black box" on his car and thats drained tha battery more than once during lockdown.

Just to be the yin to @BorniteIdentity's yang, I have to admit I really like these Astras, vastly nicer to be in than the mk5 and the last decent car Vauxhall made, I might be so bold as to say.  I've previously owned a very late '05 1.6 coupe in a very rare metallic orange and about 10 years ago spent several years tooling around in a very tired company 1.7TD estate  - yes the seats will ruin you, and about 40k miles in the manky estate did just that, but there's something simple and honest about them.  I particularly liked the 1.6 hatch I got off @SiC a few years back for the lad at work to use, had he not ruined it I might have been tempted to have it back when it came up for sale.  If I needed a generic hatchback I'd have another one.

35 minutes ago, phil_lihp said:

Just to be the yin to @BorniteIdentity's yang, I have to admit I really like these Astras, vastly nicer to be in than the mk5 and the last decent car Vauxhall made, I might be so bold as to say.  I've previously owned a very late '05 1.6 coupe in a very rare metallic orange and about 10 years ago spent several years tooling around in a very tired company 1.7TD estate  - yes the seats will ruin you, and about 40k miles in the manky estate did just that, but there's something simple and honest about them.  I particularly liked the 1.6 hatch I got off @SiC a few years back for the lad at work to use, had he not ruined it I might have been tempted to have it back when it came up for sale.  If I needed a generic hatchback I'd have another one.

My dad had a W Reg Mk4 Astra from new, think it was "club" spec. Felt like royalty sitting in the back compared to the Metro it replaced 🤣 My first "proper" car (to me) was a 3 door Mk4 Astra SRI, felt like such a massive upgrade to my mk2 clio at the time. When I was moving house and skint a few years ago I sold my spaceship Civic for £3k and bought a 1.7 CDTI Mk4 for £500 which was the cheapest car to run I ever had. I'd definitely have another one for nostalgia purposes. Pity that the rear arches on most of the ones left are pretty ugly nowadays

1 hour ago, purplebargeken said:

I actually find it pretty comfy.

It's a nice little thing to bimble around in tbh.

Im not alone in finding the seats comfy then! I Drove mine about 1000 miles over a long weekend no problems. 

Only issue I find is if I want to rest my head on the headrest it's miles away, very curved backs on the seats. 

Although this is coming from a man who commuted daily in suzuki SJs for years. One being a KJA pick up model, like the one below. So I have a fairly low acceptance of comfort. 

Screenshot_20200526-174719.jpg.5706c6b93e91bdd32184798b3e13e8cd.jpg