Project Maybe not so Lovely Astra

purplebargeken

Its Some thing like stuff the key in the ignition, turn to 1 or 2, press and hold the lock and unlocks for a couple of seconds each

If that does nothing slide the key appart, (not losing the little black chip) Then open up the button part and you may find the battery holder has come loose due to failed solder joints. The non soldering fix for this is a bit of card folded up on top of the battery housing between the case and this pushes the housing down onto the board, 

My previously repaired replacement key is now featuring this bodge. 

13 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

Car key guy came over today and sorted out the transponder for the original fob, provided a new solid key with a transponder as a spare and fixed the remote central locking on the original fob. 

£120 all in but that's how it is.

Happy having working central locking and a functioning spare key.

I need a second for my Swift Sport, and it's THREE FUCKING TIMES THAT.  Yep, £360.  Got a great deal when I bought the car and thought I'd just get one later but I wince every time I consider it and have gambled with the one key ever since.

Lovely car BTW. Always thought they nailed the rear end on those.

9 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

Mine was a solder issue. 

Your life would be betterer* with a remote central locking feature in it. It really would.

Seems easy enough - both keys LED lights when pressed so I think its just gone out of sync - I shall try when I knock off from work

EDIT 17:55
Whale Oil Beef Hooked.

It only works! Ive now got 2 keys that work on the plop.

Looking rather good on those alloys. 

Today saw the odometer click electronically over to  the 100,000 mile mark. The first time ever in all of my cars owned.

The car marked this milestone by making the newly fixed C/L fob not working.

Also had the slow puncture repaired, had a bloody 2" nail in it. It is now the spare. Two new tyres were put on the back.

Just had to nurse the astra home over the last 2 miles with it sputtering, coughing and stalling at idle.

I suspect the coil pack has given up the ghost. I will put the OBD reader on it and see what it says. 

Thanks to the car drivers behind me for being so patient* and understanding*. Yes, the finger was for all of you. 

Okay, I took off the Delphi coil pack, removed the plugs, all of which looked like they hadn't been changed in decades. The most obvious thing was that on number 4 plug the centre electrode was absent. 

That has either broken or burnt off and may be rattling around. The engine tinkles at low revs but clears a fair bit at higher revs. I fitted the new plugs. I wonder if it might also have taken out the coil pack at the same time?

I am going to put the code gadget on there to see if I can clear the code, is it worth sending down a magnet ended probe to see if I can catch the missing bit or is it fucked beyond fucked.

CHECK YOUR PLUGS Folks. 

Ok, EML and flashing spanner light on. Car rattling, shit running and poor idle.

Code reader cleared the flashing spanner and also then the EML for a bit. The car ran better for a short while, less hesitation and no rattle and would hold idle.

Then all back again, rattle, erratic idle and hesitancy and unable to maintain idle. Harder to start. 

Code P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire again.