rob88h

Harrison's Garage

Harrison’s History - #20 Sad Face Ford Fiesta mk4 S195 AGD

Technically the Fiesta after this one replaced the Volvo, but I’m struggling to remember the exact timeline and this one came and went while the Volvo was around/leaving. I got it from a friend at work for basically free and after replacing the heater control valve and temperature control resistor – like everyone who’s had this generation Fiesta or Puma – I sold it on to my brother for what it owed me. I don’t know how my friend had coped driving regularly between Essex and Glasgow that summer with the heating on full, it’s no wonder he wanted to get rid of it! I also replaced the door with a colour matching one (wow!) for a more rust-free and rust proofed version from a mk5. The bump trim didn’t match, so at least there was some visual oddness to it. My brother and I both agreed that the 1.25L Zetec was a good match in these little cars and my brother only eventually sold it because he had too many things on the go.

1630461093_S195AGD.thumb.jpg.4c3e4071c6a17f268971ebc9589902ca.jpg

460319958_S195AGD(2).thumb.jpg.f684421fb3e30828d3166a50fbb5f574.jpg

Harrison’s History - #21 Ford Fiesta mk2 F738 HKE

I’d spotted a mk2 shaped gap in my Fiesta history which coincided with finding this lovely mk2 diesel at a local garage forecourt for an absolute steal. This was my first foray into Diesel ownership, and the naturally aspirated 1.6L Ford LT Diesel I think was a good example of the shortcomings of diesels. Driving back up the M2, which previously I’d not realised was uphill, requires a downshift and I was still firmly in the hassled-by-trucks category. Then there was the noise! This thing was an absolute tractor and starting it up in the mornings I’d wish I’d parked it away from civilisation as to not annoy too many neighbours. Amazingly the thing had scissor timing gears (presumably broken!) to try and reduce rattle

1693612401_F738HKE.thumb.JPG.843bd1500a7f4be3b8cf603ae7bc6c62.JPG

1364560642_F738HKE(2).thumb.JPG.883c0e7c0896b56a08c38fa16f505ab0.JPG

Refinement and performance aside, the car was pretty good. With a different engine I can see this being as good as the other Fiesta’s from the era, which it is largely similar too anyway. Personally, I prefer the looks of the Mk1 and I have the first-car-affinity to the mk3, so this one is only my third favourite Fiesta. I took pretty standard care of the car yet learnt the value of replacing fuel filters after running the tank down to get a good average for a fuel economy calculation. It all came to a head when my partner tried to join a dual carriageway with a maximum speed of 25mph – and because it wasn’t a Metro she had no sympathy. I sold the car as I was still doing quite a few motorway miles and the Fiesta was more suited to chugging around town never leaving 3rd gear. I got probably the most profit I’ve ever made on a car selling this one due to a bidding war between two people who learnt to drive in one like it. They both seemed to have a now or never crisis as according to howmanyleft.co.uk it was one of two surviving 1.6L Diesel mk2’s. Personally I wouldn’t bother…

269709585_F738HKE(3).thumb.jpg.0e89e7288993f1d5d4ca29c98230f9ee.jpg

Harrison’s History - #22 Volvo V40 W691 XPP

My big car, little car, big car swing was still occurring, probably because I did about 5 miles a day going to work and then 500 miles a weekend on mountain bike trips or visiting family. A Volvo estate should be perfect then right? Well, maybe, if I hadn’t bought a high mileage 1.6 petrol… Like the diesel Fiesta, this thing also required motorway shift downs and lived constantly in the hassled-by-trucks category. It was really underpowered and fuel consumption was pretty high because the engine was working so hard all the time. I think the V40 from this era is a pretty good-looking machine though, especially in this colour! My friend managed the elusive £1 buy for a white one of these (not a 1.6L), replaced a MAF and has managed tens of thousands of miles since. The dream.

727091031_W691XPP(2).thumb.jpg.4ea857c3ad3c00d4fa8c927bf1065ff5.jpg

57992555_W691XPP.thumb.jpg.ae271213283dc053d3c9bef40b84f97f.jpg

I rebuilt the shift linkage mechanism on this car because 5th gear was not always possible to get to – with parts the Volvo dealers were still stocking which was impressive. I also enrolled it in the official Volvo High Mileage Register as an ode to the commitment of whomever had the patience to get it there. I sold it pretty swiftly for another little car.

1913071629_W691XPP(3).thumb.jpg.75aae8dca23425db493afebd1d9fe711.jpg

Harrison’s History - #23 Toyota MR2 L84 GAA

By late 2014 I had the itch to retry my ill-fated Land’s End to John O’Groats Christmas trip. The brief I’d set myself was that it had to be in a sportscar in homage to the attempt made by the Porsche 924S, or at least something you’d consider a sportscar - and it had to be less than £500 due to financial constraints. I managed to get this SW20 MR2 from somewhere on the South Coast, high mileage, warped discs, no history. One of the previous owners had heavily smoked the indicator lenses and fitted weird HID lights to it. I restored the car back to its factory settings with eBay spares and sold on the HID lights kit and smoked lenses to make the whole endeavour pretty much cost neutral. Except two new rear tyres... They’d cost more than I’d paid for the entire car FFS.

1602768720_L84GAA.thumb.JPG.10a76d949c6194bf48bef0c93d3a55a6.JPG

After a basic service I pressed the car into daily use to build up some confidence, and then on December 22nd we set off for or second LEJOG attempt. Unfortunately for anyone still following this thread, the car provided zero entertainment other than one low oil pressure warning, swiftly remedied with a top up.

I sometimes miss the MR2, it was a fun car and I’d definitely have one again – but it was not suited to transporting a mountain bike, so it had to go. Until this point I’d often owned more than one car at once, but I’d not unlocked the next tier of taxing and insuring multiple cars (save for the Missus’ Civic on her policy) thanks to extortionate young man insurance.

1552221628_L84GAA(2).thumb.jpg.b3e2d56899b41d9a15864a503192eb86.jpg

514992456_L84GAA(3).thumb.jpg.e29abd7656804b29c6f5c6ec27675f1c.jpg

29224399_L84GAA(4).thumb.jpg.bc50c01a2230b305c926a797408dbe01.jpg

Since I did it in the MR2 in 2014 I've done it twice more, in 2016 and 2018. The Land's End to John O'Groats trip has become a biennial Christmas tradition for me and one of my old school friends who shares the driving/co-driving. We're both living in Essex but make the trip to Yorkshire for Christmas the long way round every other year. (In the off-years we stay at home or visit my wife's parents). I'm due to make another stab at it this Christmas, maybe in the XJS... maybe something else. If nothing else it's a good excuse to get a cheap sports car every couple of years!

I had meant to only do it the once with the 924S, but because that went wrong it became unfinished business, which then became a retry, which then became a tradition. It's a nice achievement but it is a lot of driving, ha. We try and mix it up by adding a bit of a spin to it each time: 2016 was no Motorways, 2018 was top down all the way. Any ideas for 2020? We've been thinking of incorporating the North West 500 into the trip "while we're up there".

28 minutes ago, rob88h said:

Since I did it in the MR2 in 2014 I've done it twice more, in 2016 and 2018. The Land's End to John O'Groats trip has become a biennial Christmas tradition for me and one of my old school friends who shares the driving/co-driving. We're both living in Essex but make the trip to Yorkshire for Christmas the long way round every other year. (In the off-years we stay at home or visit my wife's parents). I'm due to make another stab at it this Christmas, maybe in the XJS... maybe something else. If nothing else it's a good excuse to get a cheap sports car every couple of years!

I had meant to only do it the once with the 924S, but because that went wrong it became unfinished business, which then became a retry, which then became a tradition. It's a nice achievement but it is a lot of driving, ha. We try and mix it up by adding a bit of a spin to it each time: 2016 was no Motorways, 2018 was top down all the way. Any ideas for 2020? We've been thinking of incorporating the North West 500 into the trip "while we're up there".

I'll have a think, I'm Yorkshire based so don't know the North West that well. I drive buses and coaches for a living so the driving doesn't bother me.