Harrison's Garage - Mini City, back on the road!

rob88h

On 3/30/2020 at 3:42 PM, BorniteIdentity said:

Soon enough we'll be best friends and then I'll snaffle that w123 off you for beer money.  Nice one

@BorniteIdentity, I've sent you a DM about the Merc - no obligations to respond - like I said in my post, I'm still pretty bi-polar to the idea of getting rid, but a good outcome would be to be able to still hear from it without the stress of having to fix it myself, lol.

And Felixstowe, it's where my wife is from and where her family still live. Lovely place, we're mostly down the Ferry side of town. It seems to be where all the future one-owner-classic Honda Jazz's and Ford B-Max's are all maturing. Maybe a similar life cycle your Mini went through.

3 minutes ago, rob88h said:

And Felixstowe, it's where my wife is from and where her family still live. Lovely place, we're mostly down the Ferry side of town. It seems to be where all the future one-owner-classic Honda Jazz's and Ford B-Max's are all maturing. Maybe a similar life cycle your Mini went through.

Small, small world.

This tiny little map shows where the Mini lived - and where my parents still live.

image.png.0494d27c25dfe3bfef6dad8eae7bb707.png

Tips for people addicted to Carohol – Buying and Selling frequently edition.

I’ve been averaging four to six cars a year recently, with my base stock creeping up and up unintentionally. In my situation I’m finding giving the care these cars deserve at odds with the amount of jobs that are forming around me. So, with the help of a national pandemic and lockdown I have been able to enact Phase 1 of my consolidation plans – to not buy anything new! To this end I’ve developed a few coping mechanisms that I thought I’d share because they’re transferrable skills to other situations, like your partner won’t let you buy more cars, or you don’t have the money to buy new cars or space to buy new cars.

1). Pick up someone else’s car. – Recently I had a very enjoyable day collecting the Fenlander for the @TheDoctor. I had the excitement of the collection, the experience of something new and the wellbeing of helping a car into its next phase of life. Crucially, at the end of the day, my driveway was clear, my bank account was not depleted and my life admin around insurance/tax/MOT was uninterrupted. There was a sad moment the next morning when it finally sunk in that I didn’t have a mouldy 218D, but it soon passed.

2079408795_M608AAV.thumb.jpg.41803a415017fa33d00d7d5fc6fd33e3.jpg

2). Overly involve yourself in someone else’s purchase. – This last weekend a non-car-person friend had her Toyota Aygo completely shit itself of the A12. F**kin’ F**ked. Big time, total scrap job. She needed a car immediately, so I had an enjoyable evening finding her something suitable and then the next morning we went out test driving. Again, at the end of that day, my driveway was still clear, my bank account was still not depleted and my life admin around insurance/tax/MOT was still uninterrupted. Like with the Rover, I was a little sad that the bargain Focus was not on my drive in the morning, but with six other heaps littering the place I was soon over it.

1325256905_Y352SRX.thumb.jpg.cd4aeaf41c8a22b454b3a778c24c89c9.jpg

These pseudo buying techniques have helped me maintain fleet numbers, yet still given me the thrill as if I’d bought two more cars this year. I also like to think I was helpful to the two new owners. Win win right?

Phase 2 will be to sell some of my cars that aren’t doing if for me right now, or are giving me too much mental anguish *Ahem, Mercedes, Ahem*.

• 2 weeks later...

Volvo 440 - M93 CEC – Exhaust repairs

Some people can’t be told – I’m officially one of those… Back in late January, this happened.

b6238de8-59da-47eb-be77-e0f4868b9474.thumb.JPG.a13e3f6c5aa23d9107105cef6a244430.JPG

Now I know you’re supposed to replace a whole exhaust in one go to save yourself a world of pain, but something about being under the car in the cold wet of January told me that the middle section was ok and I only needed to replace the rear muffler. And in my defence the metal did look really good… I thought perhaps it had been replaced as a section already when my cousin owned the car. So this is an inevitable story of cutting a corner to end up with a ton more work just a few weeks later. Yay.

The rear muffler had removed itself on the road – it had warned me by blowing for about a week of “I’d better take a look at that” before it came clean off exiting a speed bump. The split was at the muffler inlet, so what I needed to do was remove the pipe section back to the service joint just ahead of the rear suspension. I can report that job was impossible. I tried heating it. I tried hitting it. I tried yelling at it. My weedy frame could do nothing to move it whilst lying under the car. My local garage got it out though, and installed my new muffler, new hangers and shiny new tailpipe while they were at it.

IMG_6507.thumb.jpg.ba6c44058610b60d53535be2b130e530.jpg

The garage gave me the sound advice that “you should really replace a whole exhaust in one go” and said that although the middle looked “ok” (not said with any conviction when pushed to comment), but warned me that it was pretty ropey right on the service joint. I got about 2 months out of it before the inevitable, it started blowing and then split again. This time right on the service joint, just as advised.

I had a lot more time on my hands in March so I decided to fix my mistake myself and replace more of the exhaust like I should have done in the first place! The old one came off the car nice and easy at the 2-bolt marmon flange for the catalyst. Then I managed to separate the mid-section from the catalyst (I was saving the catalyst) without too much hassle.

IMG_7089.thumb.jpg.f4054a55d9eb2ca5f3e8ca1f4e5500c3.jpg

IMG_7090.thumb.jpg.ca7c7a866c736d3f62d0ad1a3a86a6ab.jpg

The bulk of the job was correcting the mistake I’d made of having the new rear muffler fitted to the old mid-section. How annoying. It required a lot of patience, a lot of WD40, a lot of fire and after enough small gains with the needle nosed pliers, I drilled some holes to get a screwdriver through and applied some torque. Very satisfying that it all came apart.

1446610741_VolvoExhaust.thumb.jpg.b9772dfa2644082e764f4cf399e5f6c8.jpg

Reassembly was also a pig. I have six axle stands, four are holding up the MX-5 and two are under the Mini, so I did the whole job crawling about under the car. This was the first exhaust job I’ve done myself and I was amazed how a small the adjustments have to be to get things all lined up. Especially on a Volvo 440, the exhaust goes from the centre, right to the far left hand side to then get up and over the rear suspension. In the end I used cardboard wedges to get everything standing off the body correctly and then tightened it all up. I spent three evenings getting it all back together due to a self-imposed deadline of agreeing to go and pick up the Fenlander for @TheDoctor. The final result was very satisfying to have achieved myself, even though the majority of the complications were self-inflicted.

IMG_7109.thumb.jpg.261e00f540214142343e866d88d2313f.jpg

IMG_7114.thumb.jpg.292c742e52e7061f4ea2494c869cde5c.jpg

One thing is for sure, next time I need to replace any part of an exhaust, the whole lot is being done!

• rob88h changed the title to Harrison's Garage - Actual work completed! New Volvo 440 Exhaust
  • rob88h changed the title to Harrison's Garage - Actual work completed!

Volvo 440 – M93 CEC – Refitting the Undertray

After the hassle of the exhaust saga it is time for a nice easy job. Whilst crawling under the car I remembered that the undertray needed re-fitting, having been taken off when I last did an oil change… 7,000 miles ago! I didn’t put it on after the last oil change for two reasons:

1. I wanted to monitor an oil leak,
  2. One of the undertray fastener anchor points was missing.

I did nothing about the oil leak despite best intentions. There is negligible oil level change, I’m not having to top things up, so I’m not going to worry about it. I cleaned up the undertray so I can look at what has appeared on it after another 3,000 miles when the next oil change is due.

819537453_2020-07-21(4).thumb.jpg.f2ac68e90abb4e5532c90afbbfdd0732.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the internet was pretty quiet about what the right undertray anchor should be for a Volvo 440. I ended up ordering some for a 2008 Focus as the interface looked about the right size and any spares would be useful to the Focus we have should it ever need them. With an oversized fastener (the original 440 one rather than the Focus one) in the anchor, things were nice and secure on the 440 – not what I took the picture of, but you get the idea.

244869395_2020-07-21(5).thumb.jpg.f4220c50ff80744dc154caa4070eccec.jpg

The final modification was to screw the two undertray sections together with some short tapping screws for a bit more security. The front section by design is only fitted between the bumper and rear part or the undertray by overlapping tabs. It’d probably have been fine, but I don’t want to lose it. I’ve done nearly 1,000 miles since and it’s still all in place.

1 hour ago, rob88h said:

Volvo 440 – M93 CEC – Refitting the Undertray

After the hassle of the exhaust saga it is time for a nice easy job. Whilst crawling under the car I remembered that the undertray needed re-fitting, having been taken off when I last did an oil change… 7,000 miles ago! I didn’t put it on after the last oil change for two reasons:

1. I wanted to monitor an oil leak,
  2. One of the undertray fastener anchor points was missing.

I did nothing about the oil leak despite best intentions. There is negligible oil level change, I’m not having to top things up, so I’m not going to worry about it. I cleaned up the undertray so I can look at what has appeared on it after another 3,000 miles when the next oil change is due.

819537453_2020-07-21(4).thumb.jpg.f2ac68e90abb4e5532c90afbbfdd0732.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the internet was pretty quiet about what the right undertray anchor should be for a Volvo 440. I ended up ordering some for a 2008 Focus as the interface looked about the right size and any spares would be useful to the Focus we have should it ever need them. With an oversized fastener (the original 440 one rather than the Focus one) in the anchor, things were nice and secure on the 440 – not what I took the picture of, but you get the idea.

244869395_2020-07-21(5).thumb.jpg.f4220c50ff80744dc154caa4070eccec.jpg

The final modification was to screw the two undertray sections together with some short tapping screws for a bit more security. The front section by design is only fitted between the bumper and rear part or the undertray by overlapping tabs. It’d probably have been fine, but I don’t want to lose it. I’ve done nearly 1,000 miles since and it’s still all in place.

I have my 440 undertray, damned if I'm going to faff arround with fitting it though. None of my cars have their undertrays fitted! They are in safe places...

20 hours ago, Tim_E said:

damned if I'm going to faff arround with fitting it

I have a dozen or so of the red anchor points you can have if you ever change your mind and your car is missing the originals. Unless your car becomes my car when the roffle makes it across the finish line! ?

Volvo 440 – M93 CEC – Headlight Wipers

I’ve never really understood the need for headlight wipers on a road car, especially a car whose lights are stronger than they need to be and can afford to lose some performance (my other car’s a Mini, so I’m used to being able to use full beam without being flashed ?). They’re just another thing to go wrong, and they did.

1849557388_2020-07-21(7).thumb.jpg.c82fca5e0181a6defaa3004d4e4cc26f.jpg

I wouldn’t have minded so much if they died in the rest position, or even died completely in the up position so I could just move the wiper manually to the rest position. What actually happened is that the wiper motor would “work” 95% of the time but not make it all the way home. The rest of the time it was fine. I’ve been living with it like this for a couple of years, but It has always annoyed me, so when I went to pick up some spares from a breaker 440, I acquired the headlight wiper motors too. Fitting the replacement was simplicity itself. With the headlight unit out there is all the room in the world and with niche easy electrical connectors.

262290479_2020-07-21(8).thumb.jpg.22c21d1616460d2063cd1c15c353c581.jpg

1728145475_2020-07-21(9).thumb.jpg.20e565950ea93f071e93e3aa31a89225.jpg

The only problem is the timing ?. If the video below works, you’ll see what I mean. The driver’s side is the replaced motor, the passenger side is an original. I presume when these cars were new it was a bit more elegant, but I for one like the all-over-the-place look, it’s a tad more AutoShite.

12 hours ago, rob88h said:

I have a dozen or so of the red anchor points you can have if you ever change your mind and your car is missing the originals. Unless your car becomes my car when the roffle makes it across the finish line! ?

I'll let you know if the car fails to sell, though I'm sure you'll see how it does! Ideally I'd keep it and spend the time and money... I just wish I had the time and money! 

So as it stands the undertray comes supplied, in the boot!

It's nice to see that it can be done fairly easily ?

12 hours ago, rob88h said:

Volvo 440 – M93 CEC – Headlight Wipers

I’ve never really understood the need for headlight wipers on a road car, especially a car whose lights are stronger than they need to be and can afford to lose some performance (my other car’s a Mini, so I’m used to being able to use full beam without being flashed ?). They’re just another thing to go wrong, and they did.

1849557388_2020-07-21(7).thumb.jpg.c82fca5e0181a6defaa3004d4e4cc26f.jpg

I wouldn’t have minded so much if they died in the rest position, or even died completely in the up position so I could just move the wiper manually to the rest position. What actually happened is that the wiper motor would “work” 95% of the time but not make it all the way home. The rest of the time it was fine. I’ve been living with it like this for a couple of years, but It has always annoyed me, so when I went to pick up some spares from a breaker 440, I acquired the headlight wiper motors too. Fitting the replacement was simplicity itself. With the headlight unit out there is all the room in the world and with niche easy electrical connectors.

262290479_2020-07-21(8).thumb.jpg.22c21d1616460d2063cd1c15c353c581.jpg

1728145475_2020-07-21(9).thumb.jpg.20e565950ea93f071e93e3aa31a89225.jpg

The only problem is the timing ?. If the video below works, you’ll see what I mean. The driver’s side is the replaced motor, the passenger side is an original. I presume when these cars were new it was a bit more elegant, but I for one like the all-over-the-place look, it’s a tad more AutoShite.

2020-07-21 (6) - Video.MOV 12.84 MB · 2 downloads

I can't see it, an hour looking at and trying to understand settings on my phone might allow me to, though if you upload to YouTube and paste the link it enbeds automatically.

The reason they exist is spring in Sweden, everything gets as muddy as and they, plus other countries, mandate some kind of clean headlights.

Mine work! My 2000 Saab 9-3 mostly worked but occasionally failed to park, which looks annoying.

Thanks for the video advice @Tim_E, I could see the video in the post on my phone, but on the computer it only showed as a download, so I wasn't that happy with it. I've put it into YouTube so hopefully you can see it now. That's a better way to do it for sure.

A good point about the wipers being mandated - I saw your Blurple 440 had them too and yours is a pretty base spec model right? So if they were an option I'd expect them to have been a pricey added extra.

• rob88h changed the title to Harrison's Garage

Mercedes 300TD – KHM 73W / Jaguar XJS – G296 EHP – Gone but not forgotten.

I’m a bit behind on my posting, but I need to catch up on recent developments because there could be something new joining Harrison’s Garage in the next few days.

August signals Tax and Insurance renewal for the XJS and the Mercedes. This is always a natural reflection point in any ownership cycle and upon consideration, based on nothing very scientific, I decided that I’d sell both...

First to go was the XJS. Having made the decision that I’d sell, I cleaned it up and took it out for some golden hour photos for the advert. A colleague teased that it wasn’t a golden hour because of the lighting, but because the XJS was all working, which although unfair was quite true. I’ve never quite trusted the XJS to not cause trouble. In the year I’d had it I’d spent at lease £2k on keeping it on the road. The V12 XJS had consistently been on my top 3 wants list, but when I finally got one it never gelled. I had a low cost, big liability model. It’s disappointing to reveal that selling it was a relief. I can see that it’s a good car in principle, my learned advice is don’t buy a zero-history barn stored V12 XJS and press it into regular use. Still I’m proud I took the risk and still can’t stop looking at pictures of it.

DSCF0512.thumb.JPG.76cb8a5e6a248f252e660d3489412822.JPG

DSCF0529.thumb.JPG.ef3680ec9cf2455969fed1906e7c2adb.JPG

The sale was unbelievably easy. A couple of days after taking the photo’s a note came through my door asking if the Mercedes was for sale with a contact number. I met with the chancer and we couldn’t agree on a price for the Merc because of the rust. He was a car guy, so we were looking at and chatting over the Mini, and the Jag and stuff and I happened to mention that I was selling the Jag. I had a number in my head that was my purchase price, plus my bills, rounded up to the nearest £100. When he came straight out with £500 below that, it was easy to negotiate it up to just over what it owed me. He sorted out the payment and it was all done and dusted that day. I probably could have got more for it if I had made it as far as advertising it, but it was so hassle free that I’m happy with how it ended.

Next was the Mercedes. Although it is one of my all-time favourite cars I’ve had, the Mercedes was giving me much mental grief because of its general condition. Another MOT was a serious investment of cash. I knew I wasn’t going to keep it forever, that privilege is reserved for the Volvo 440 and the Mini, so the thought of spending good money chasing bad (for a second time with this car remember!) was not appealing. I ended up down the road of “if I want a serviceable S123, I should just buy a better one rather than dragging this one along with me indefinitely just because I can’t let go. So, decision made – I listed it on eBay and on here for a disgustingly low price to encourage a sensible buyer who appreciates the work needed and hopefully secure its future. My phone quite literally exploded, and I had a very stressful evening queuing people up to see it. It worked out nicely in the end though – the guy who came to view it first was a car body mechanic and was pretty positive about it continuing to see the road as a project affordable for him to do, but no good to anyone who would be paying to get the welding done, which is really what I thought. Also, his wife was an interior trimmer, so safe to assume it is in good hands.

1845024412_KHM73W(13).jpg.3e0cddb37d21688e89de674776da0023.jpg

If it comes up for sale again, I REALLY have to not buy it a third time.

So, the XJS is gone and the Mercedes 300TD is gone (again) and they are ceremoniously removed from my signature strip. However, the hole they’ve left in my collection may be inadvertently refilling slightly. I’m trying to cut down on cars, but two steps forward one step back is still a net reduction.

• rob88h changed the title to Harrison's Garage - Two out, One in.

Mercedes 300TD – KHM 73W – Re-beigeing

I nearly forgot a nice job that I did recently! It was too painless to leave an impression and a subsequent rant on here so I almost completely forgot about it. Just before selling the Mercedes I shamelessly tarted up the front wing that I’d protected ages ago from the advancing rust. I ordered colour match rattle can paint from Halfords (they outsourced it to Euro Car Parts in my area I think) using the paint code from the VIN and some decoding courtesy of the Mercedes Club forums. Once the paint was ready I spent a couple of hours cleaning and flatting the rust proofing primer followed by some masking. After that, a panel wipe, then three or four coats straight from the can. Incredible match for 40 years – and I’m pretty sure the wings weren’t original anyway. All that T-cutting earlier in the year really paid off.

IMG_7288.thumb.jpg.e0c33d98be05ce8766485609766f37a9.jpg

IMG_7289.thumb.jpg.032e0b14ce066d5c6bfc2f7a3c92e30a.jpg

IMG_7291.thumb.jpg.23a75f6de1e97c9f13d14612f5b111d9.jpg

Pleasing results. Now I can at last declare closure on the Mercedes 300TD on here and move on to introduce a car I just put down a deposit on…

Harrison's History - #45 Volvo 480 ES M270 AAF

Today I picked up Volvo number seven - a fairly tatty 2.0L 480 ES. I didn't bother with a collection thread, it was in my home town and took less than 10 minutes to get to. When my Nan bought the 440 M93 CEC back in '94, I'd always wished she'd bought the 480, and now I get to live that dream ?.  For me I've wanted one for a while, but finding the right running worst-of-breed example has been a slow burn and only getting more difficult year by year. There's plenty to do on it and I have a couple of trips planned for this unique little Swede (or Dutchman, or whatever it identifies as). It's MOT'd for now, so I've started enjoying it already.

1909817877_2020-07-29(2).thumb.jpg.f5428e05268f37663b9d43be633f1265.jpg

• rob88h changed the title to Harrison's Garage - Now with added Volvo
27 minutes ago, rob88h said:

Harrison's History - #45 Volvo 480 ES M270 AAF

Today I picked up Volvo number seven - a fairly tatty 2.0L 480 ES. I didn't bother with a collection thread, it was in my home town and took less than 10 minutes to get to. When my Nan bought the 440 M93 CEC back in '94, I'd always wished she'd bought the 480, and now I get to live that dream ?.  For me I've wanted one for a while, but finding the right running worst-of-breed example has been a slow burn and only getting more difficult year by year. There's plenty to do on it and I have a couple of trips planned for this unique little Swede (or Dutchman, or whatever it identifies as). It's MOT'd for now, so I've started enjoying it already.

1909817877_2020-07-29(2).thumb.jpg.f5428e05268f37663b9d43be633f1265.jpg

Wow, it just gets better! Siblings ?

Soon you have the full set...

Volvo 480 - M270 AAF - First thoughts

Thanks for the well-wishing. I'm a fan of this 480 already. The odometer doesn't work, so I can't report how many I've done, or it's done, but from the MOT history it could be as low as 105,000 miles, across three different clocks... It got to about 70,000 by 2006 which is probably right, then it reset and climbed to 33,000 between 2006 and 2015, then it jumped to 119,000 in 2016 and has done 2,000 miles since then. Although it has stopped counting, it was apparently laid up for the last few years in someone's collection and the mileage has been moving a little bit. Who knows, I remember my 944 would count a few hundred miles and then give up for a while before coming back to count some more.

I've ordered front and rear disks and pads to address last years advisories, which visually haven't been replaced.

2020-07-30.thumb.jpg.3ead566e049a095545628fc4541bee7e.jpg

Also high up on the priority list is to breath life back into the drivers side pop-up. It's too stiff to wind up manually, so I'm going to take it apart and check the mechanisms. I'm hoping the motor isn't knackered as they're pretty rare and apparently only common with a Ferrari 456. I've found a replacement motor for £100, but I'm hoping to not have to go there. Finally it needs some welding in the rear wheel wells by my reckoning - something the 440 needed last year too, so I'm not to mad with it for that.

2020-07-29.thumb.jpg.dc85b3fc567ffa104d41af02c603126b.jpg

There are a dozen other jobs to do to make it nicer, but only the brakes, light and rear wheel wells are jobs that need doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Ford Focus – WF08 JMV – Taking a beating

A few days after buying the Volvo 480 I broke my foot and ankle falling off a skateboard… So much for: “Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth”. It turns out I’m not made of rubber anymore. This means I’ve done absolutely nothing with the cars for about three weeks now. Having said that, it’s been too hot, and then too wet, so I probably wouldn’t have done anything on them anyway even if I could move!

Things aren’t static though and unfortunately my wife has had an accident in the Focus. She’s fine, but really annoyed at the whole situation. Someone tried going right at a roundabout from the left-hand lane and drove right across the front of her. Sad face. In the stress of the situation she only got a name and number for the driver, so we’re relying on him responding to our phone call. Having double checked the Highway Code and the lane markings/signage at this particular junction on StreetView I’m fairly confident that we’re 100% not at fault.

940999452_2020-08-19(1).thumb.jpg.aca2b4f8ed26f2f5ccc363ed9bff6bac.jpg

The car doesn’t look too bad, but it’s what’s underneath that’s disappointing. The Grill Opening Reinforcement (top plastic cross brace) has snapped and the metal crash structure of the bumper has pushed back on the accident side. It’s hard to see in the picture because the reaction of the metal bending inwards lower down is that the plastic higher up has twisted forward.

1230765357_2020-08-19(2).thumb.jpg.e33fe5599f3c2e1766a43b2d2d3b8efd.jpg

1965398041_2020-08-19(4).jpg.e7d56d76d354a0f6c5d86fe80d68fd2b.jpg

It has also shattered the plastic slam panel, the RHS radiator air deflector, pushed the lock barrel right in, knackered the bumper skin dented and scratched the wing and snapped the headlamp mounts off. Luckily the horns did not hit the condenser and radiator.

Without Insurance involvement: We’re getting it looked at tomorrow for a repair quote from my usual garage to see what this should cost without insurance companies involved. I’m thinking that because it’s not major damage the guy might want to settle outside of insurance if the repair cost is somewhat reasonable. I don’t know his situation though… Or if we’ll even hear from him again.

With the Insurance: I did a Confused.com comparison with and without a no-fault claim and the difference is +£70 per year, and it should be declared for 5 years, so it would cost us only £350 to involve the insurers. I’ve read we can claim our excess back from his insurer too. However, the Focus is so low value that if we have to use his insurance and an “approved” repair shop, I can see this maybe being written off, considering paint repairs etc… In that case, a payout, then buying the car back as a cat-D and doing repairs myself from scrapyard parts (these things are plentifully stocked) could end up with some money in our pocket. Even though we’d fight for 100%-Third-Party-at-fault I fear that some bullshit will go down against us.

Either way, it’s all less than ideal faffage.