rusty998

1994 Mercedes W202 arrival at Rusty towers

I did a buy on Monday, borrowed the trade plates from work and drove it home, 

So this is now my new project for the foreseeable future,  

20200324_084415.thumb.jpg.1dec410465567d23a281999964e0e565.jpg

I have been looking for an early W202 so quite happy with this popping up near me on Facebook marketplace,  I only have this one picture so far as I have been kept busy at work trying to get customers cars out the door, 

What I know so far about this fine steed, 

Elegance spec automatic 

106,000 miles 

2.8 M104 straight Six

What I know is needing doing for the next MOT so far,

near side mirror glass broken,

Rust hole in right hand sill, 

Oil leak from the front of the timing cover TADTS,

central locking not working,  I suspect a perished rubber vacuum hoses,

I'm pretty sure there's going to be more but as I'm going to be home for the next I don't know how long (like many) I'm sure it will keep me busy

These C280s must be rare now. They weren’t cheap and you’d have to have really wanted one to pick that over a 328i back in the day. I suppose they’re a different proposition, especially in elegance spec

Tetleysmooth  possibly  it's the earlier type as mine is the pre facelift model,  far less electrical bits on this than the 1995 - models, 

Schaefft yes I will in time change them back to original Orange indicators

J-T I would have thought that this was bought by the Old money brigade way back in the day, 

BMW 328 for the young sales manager with file o fax in hand 

Mercedes C280  possibly the Managing director 

Does anyone have either 

Orange front indicators 

bonnet Star badge for one of these ?

3 hours ago, Peter C said:

Years ago I briefly had a W202 C180 Sport fitted with a manual ‘box. It was genuinely horrible. Your C280 by comparison looks a very smooth ride.

Looking forward to more 

I can indeed confirm that the ride is very nice, smooth, quite with adequate power when required, the front lower bushes were replaced a couple of years ago due to clonking, hitting all the curb side drain covers and pot holes showed up no worrying noises which is nice as there a complete pain in the proverbial to replace so I'm told

Can't help you with any parts (unless you want a lovely set of wheels and NEW tyres?) but I can confirm that MB sell the sars for he bonnet a quie reasonable prices. Plus, you can ge he right one which will fit properly instead of bodging on somehing from the truck range :) 

Nice car.

10 hours ago, ProgRocker said:

I remember when these first came out, you could have then in "Esprit" spec, which was my favourite styling wise: kind of sporty styling. One up from "Classic" spec. 

Did they also do a Avantgarde or was that on later Panzer wagons?

I had a C250TD as a company car in the late 90s. Had that reassuring solid and relaxing feel of older Mercs, as well as the old fashioned dash without blanking plates, and was great over long distances.  I actually preferred it to the W203 C220CDI which replaced it, which at times felt like a pound shop E46 rip off, oh and introduced Merc owners to the concept of plasticky dashboards and blanking plates.

With the W203 came the electronics,  part of the reason i got an earlier Merc, its almost analogue in comparison to the crazy electrical modern Mercedes,  the interior has a smell that reminds me of a W124 my Friend had and the doors all shut with solid precision, I really quite like it so far, body let's it down but it's not a rot box just some silly bits that need doing, most pressing will be sorting out the rust hole on the right hand sill, its not big ( famous last words ) but needs doing, I will make sure to take many pictures when I do