MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

gadgetgricey

I used to take my vans and cars into a small village garage for MOT's, despite it being an hours round trip. Family run business, etablished for many years and alway very, very fair.

One year they gave an advisory for rust on my VW T4 (really). Asked when they could do the work, and the tester said "it's only to let you know it will need doing, its structurally sound". Was an advisory for two more MOT's before he said "it needs doing this time". 

• 1 month later...

Still trying to decide if I want to chuck the van in to Kwik-Fit down in Bletchley shortly or just leave it till the spring at this point.

Jag has been done, Xantia was sorted last month (it didn't get an extension), so it's the only one I need to worry about in the near future.

Was just going to leave the van till the spring but ran into the first "well that made things awkward" moment having to cram the dog into the back of the Xantia for a trip to the vet last week.

both the focus and the panda passed their boris extension MOTs a couple of weeks back, but then they're both 2014 cars so it was sort of expected.

i think the bike is due soon, but that'll wait till better weather now.  the mini is still not going anywhere, so not worried about that, and the Ranger is *exempt, so not worried about that either, especially as it hasn't been used in almost a year :-(

On 12/7/2020 at 6:09 PM, colino said:

It's a bit weird that if you put it in for test the month before the end of the BJ extension, the car is mot'd for a year from the end of the extended date., not from the test date. 

Why would that be weird?

The extended date is the valid date of the current/latest MoT

My MOT was due on 7th July and I didn't realise I had the BJ extension. So I took it for the test a week early, to allow for any fixes. Fortunately it passed, but it expires on 2nd July 2021. So not only did I lose the extension, I also lost a week of the original. Must try harder.

One of our cars had and April 2020 Expiry.

It got a Covid Carryforward Cash Cutter until Oct.  

I hate October onwards MOT’s cos the weather is shite and fekkin miserable.  

So I planned to get it done early in the summer but got busy with other Furlough Frolikings.  

So come October, it’s pissin down with rain and the exhaust clamp fell off and the joint needs some fettling.  Then the windscreen washer pump motor packed up.  So I made a rod for my own fekkin back, sorned the fekker, it will wait till the spring, so it will be two years between tests.

lying on the ground fekkin about with the under bumper washer bottle in the cold and rain, serves me right for running the full 18 months.

• 2 weeks later...