MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

gadgetgricey

16 hours ago, Isaac Hunt said:

Whist I appreciate that a car should be road legal, if you put in for a test early and it fails, at least you have a valid MOT for on highway parking whilst you sort the issues.

I've never had any hassle parking MOT-expired cars on the road.  As long as they're taxed and insured nobody seems to give a toss as long as you're not driving it.

26 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I've never had any hassle parking MOT-expired cars on the road.  As long as they're taxed and insured nobody seems to give a toss as long as you're not driving it.

Me too. There is nothing in it for the authorities - no tax they get the tax revenue - no MoT they just get hassle and no income stream.

I'm deliberating what to do. I've looked in, around and underneath my car and I think the only thing that will cause a fail is the sidelight bulb, which I'll get tomorrow.

MOT is due 24/12/20

Should I get it MOT'd right at the end of November so that if it fails on something major I can SORN it and not pay tax for December? Should I get it done as close to the 24th of December as possible so that if this happens, I've been able to use it for longer?

I'm reasonably competent but MOTs drag up dread and fear, although I've never really had a bad fail.....

On 9/4/2020 at 7:53 PM, beko1987 said:

I'm off the Boris extension! 

Can't say it's not been bloody handy though, swallowing a rear light cluster and 2 tyres in a month would have killed me. But spreading the work out made it nice and do-able. 

Pretty sure swallowing car parts would kill a person regardless of the timescale involved... :D

I’m a disorganised sod... 

I had planned to get mine sorted before their extensions ran out... the first of the extended cars runs out in November... No cars on extensions have been tested... ooops!

Wish I had sorted them in the summer, as now the 2CV’s exhaust has snapped an the 9000 has begun making an ominous creak from its suspension! 

I've tested a couple of 3 year old cars recently. They both had the extension so now if you look at the MoT history they have advisories. Both now state mileage unknown with an advisory of : COVID 19, six month mot extension applied. This was automatically applied when the extension came in.

edit : On a first Mot you have to input the test class. As it was already inplace I looked further.

9 hours ago, brownnova said:

I’m a disorganised sod... 

I had planned to get mine sorted before their extensions ran out... the first of the extended cars runs out in November... No cars on extensions have been tested... ooops!

Wish I had sorted them in the summer, as now the 2CV’s exhaust has snapped an the 9000 has begun making an ominous creak from its suspension! 

I try and line all my MOTs up for the summer months so any maintenance needed  at least has the potential for nice weather , if you get them done quick at least you’re on course for late September for an early test next year 

I've completely messed up on my extensions. Both the 620 (quietly confident, but no doubt something major will surface) and Accord Coupe (will not pass, needs welding) have expired and are parked on the road somewhat illegally.

Mind you, they're parked next to an Astra belonging to a neighbour which expired about two years ago. She goes out every 6 months or so to pump the tyres up. Belongs to her old fella I believe, who is in prison for 25 years. No chance of being dobbed in, then, but still makes me edgey, even being at the end of a cul de sac.

Covid mots can go get fucked now . I’ve had 10 tests a week for the last month or so instead of the usual 3/4. It’s just not sustainable for me . They all seem to be massive fails too . I’m looking into taking another mechanic on but I know full well work will dry up March til Oct next year . 
This pattern will carry on til the cars are scrapped too .

Its a massive ball ache and I’m fed up with it . 

44 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

Covid mots can go get fucked now . I’ve had 10 tests a week for the last month or so instead of the usual 3/4. It’s just not sustainable for me . They all seem to be massive fails too . I’m looking into taking another mechanic on but I know full well work will dry up March til Oct next year . 
This pattern will carry on til the cars are scrapped too .

Its a massive ball ache and I’m fed up with it . 

I reckon if the local lockdowns hit Cornwall you'll end up getting Boris-expired fucked up cars too where people haven't been out until they've been allowed... 

10 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I was quite surprised when I popped into my local garage on Wednesday lunchtime to book the Škoda in and they said "pop it in tomorrow".  I was expecting to have to wait at least a week.

I’m not having too much problem booking the actual tests - it’s the repairs that come with it that seem to be going out of control . 
It’s nice to be busy but I feel frazzled at the end of everyday . And my vat return is looming and a fuck load of paperwork needs to be done 

My new-found indie is in the same boat. They've got MOT fails parked all over their unit, and were overflowing. I said they could keep the Streetwise for however long they needed, but they simply did not have the space left to store it. By the time I took it back, it had thinned out a little, but they were clearly still stupidly busy.

I felt genuinely sorry for the little family garage in the next village to me.  It's a multi generational thing and a lovely bunch of guys.  I think they do literally "just enough" work all the time to keep the two mechanics busy (but not mental) and they sell a bit of fuel as well to keep the old boy in a job.

They failed my Avensis last week - quite correctly.  I said "Just do what it needs David, you know the deal" and he looked at his feet and said "I can't".  The next time he could book me in for 3 hours work was the middle of November.  

I feel for them, because a lot of their very regular customers will have to take work elsewhere now as they're just too full.  The usual number of customers spread over 12 months is manageable for them, but over 6?  I fear for them come Easter.

Keep buggering on @meggersdogand @twosmoke300.  Hope it all comes right for you.  

39 minutes ago, warch said:

My car's MoT expires on the 28th of November. If they have another lockdown this month, will it get extended again or will MoT garages remain open?

Mine runs out on the 29th. My wife's car got caught in the post covid extension failure trap but is supposed to be having repairs and a retest on Monday. I'm working in a school 5 days a week so I can't put mine in for a test (and repairs) unless I have something to drive... could get awkward.

Still... public transport should be nice and quiet if there's a second lockdown.