MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

gadgetgricey

7 hours ago, outlaw118 said:

Company van is in for work AGAIN and then an MoT. Any idea how long the gov.uk website takes to update? Is it immediate or overnight?

Varies. Often immediately but I've had it take a day or two to update before. If it's not immediate, it's usually taken quite a bit longer to update. 

• 3 weeks later...

Without the extension my Almera N16 's MOT would have run out today. However, I have booked it in for an MOT tomorrow and will probably agree to get the work done on it should it fail.

As nice as it is to have the 6 month extn, I don't fancy booking it in for an MOT on a chilly late December or January day. Might as well get it sorted while I have a few days off work and while the weather is nice.

Advisories from last year include the tyres, oil leak and chips in the windscreen. It has fresh rubber on all corners so no problem there. I haven't noticed much of an oil leak tbh. It certainly doesn't leave pools of oil on the asphalt like my old Minis used to. The chips in the windscreen haven't got any worse imo.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday had a car come in for test that had the extension added last month.

Luckily he brought the car in when he did

IMG_0067.thumb.JPG.cdb68eaa0d7e315bd18317251779b607.JPG

Yes that is the cords showing and the other side wasn't much better.

Imagine two tonnes of Mercedes hurtling towards you when it's pissing down with rain and that is the tyre.

57 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

Yesterday had a car come in for test that had the extension added last month.

Luckily he brought the car in when he did

IMG_0067.thumb.JPG.cdb68eaa0d7e315bd18317251779b607.JPG

Yes that is the cords showing and the other side wasn't much better.

Imagine two tonnes of Mercedes hurtling towards you when it's pissing down with rain and that is the tyre.

Doesn't surprise me at all, you should see the state of some of the tyres on some sub 3 year old cars  in my works carpark, it would seem that budgeting for tyres on your heavily financed car is never done, and its fine to fit the cheapest chinese shit to them as you specced the 20" wheels and can't afford to fit another set of OE michelins or continentals.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked mine in for its test next week to get it off its boris (hopefully) 

Trying a new garage, seems nice and small, and the guy roared with laughter when I called it a Boris test, so that's promising! He was worried I needed one 'tomorrow' which he's had alot of, but seemed relieved when I said no, just before December! 

I’ve just licensed my E Class for another year, I’m not sure why, as I’ve still got very few jobs booked in. Anyway after 27 years of the Council Inspection been the harshest most extreme MOT Ive ever seen.  I once had a Mercedes fail because of a 5p sized blister on the bottom of the drivers door- you literally couldn’t see it unless the car was on a ramp or I’d just run you over. Twice a year up to 6years old, 3 tests a year after that. All this, of course in the name of public safety, nothing to do with the £80 per test, which was carried out by lawn mower mechanics they employed already anyway.

But now , they’ve decided that a normal MOT is sufficient, not even twice a year or a list of approved MOT stations... WTF?  The state of most of the shitty Priuses round here anyway, it doesn’t bare thinking about when they can have a £100 bender thrown on them. The council reckon there  will be more Police/ Council spot checks,, can’t imagine TVP know about this extra strain on an already stretched to breaking point service.

i shouldn’t complain as I’ll be saving £130 , I suppose.  Although I’m going to get my MOtT done at the Merc main dealer so I can give peace of mind to customers when the inevitable local newspaper headline that 80% of Milton Keynes cabs have got bald tyres or whatever,breaks, probably after a Nuns and kittens disaster.

3 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

....The state of most of the shitty Priuses round here .....

TfL Priuses generally seem well cared-for, which is remarkable given that some of their drivers appear to be half-asleep whilst on the move and unaware of which lane they should be in until the last second....

Just now, Tadhg Tiogar said:

TfL Priuses generally seem well cared-for, which is remarkable given that some of their drivers appear to be half-asleep whilst on the move and unaware of which lane they should be in until the last second....

There’s a good reason for that, TFL have teams of enforcement officers driving round in minibuses checking cars and drivers at random. There’s often a load of them at LHR, I’ve been approached by them many times as I don’t have a PH plate on the back of my car  showing where I’m licensed. As soon as I show my badge and ‘ Plate exempt car license’ they wander off, I could have 4 bald tyres and be off my head on coke, they only have jurisdiction over London cars. 
London has gone from having the worse, in fact non existent regulation and enforcement over private hire , in the country . To the best , in less than 15 years.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

I'm off the Boris extension! 

Can't say it's not been bloody handy though, swallowing a rear light cluster and 2 tyres in a month would have killed me. But spreading the work out made it nice and do-able. 

I’m off mine now too. 
Mine on the Volvo expired early October but thought I’d best put it in. Passed no probs though! I did notice however that you don’t get the extra month added for putting them in early like you usually do. Probably shouldn’t complain though!

36 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

I’m off mine now too. 
Mine on the Volvo expired early October but thought I’d best put it in. Passed no probs though! I did notice however that you don’t get the extra month added for putting them in early like you usually do. Probably shouldn’t complain though!

No I didn't mind and I've lost a day technically. Infinitely better than getting a fail and wallop, no mot and comes up as so too... 

I got my 97 MX5 through another test , it came with a bill for £250 for welding to the seat belt anchors in 2018 before i got it but they must've done a crap job because it's gone again in the same spot 

£240 later it's fixed properly , I got them to tidy the rear arches as well but can't pick it up until next weekend so i can't see how good a job they've done 

Still can't complain , a mot test , bodywork and welding for under £300 is a bargain these days 

13 minutes ago, Wack said:

I got my 97 MX5 through another test , it came with a bill for £250 for welding to the seat belt anchors in 2018 before i got it but they must've done a crap job because it's gone again in the same spot 

£240 later it's fixed properly , I got them to tidy the rear arches as well but can't pick it up until next weekend so i can't see how good a job they've done 

Still can't complain , a mot test , bodywork and welding for under £300 is a bargain these days 

That's about how much I had aside for the xsara incase it had a wheel bearing fucked and I couldn't hear or a bit of rust... Good to hear it may have been enough

They charged me £240 to weld the rear seat belt anchors and fibre fill the arches and paint it , only with an aerosol mind then £30 for the mot test 

When I get it back i'll put a couple of pictures up , when it failed I thought about scrapping it ,the bodywork isn't great but mechanically it's fine so it's got to be worth £750 with 12 months test on it i'd have thought 

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Am  I right in saying that Boris extensions are no longer being applied to cars that are about to have their MOT expire?  I know the original information was from 30 March to 31 July, but I wondered if that has been extended?

No, there has been no further extension. 

Yeah, I've got to sort out my MOTs two of which are now looming and one is miles out. Problem is the MOT test centre I've been using for the last 15yrs is about 15 miles away. Never used to be a problem as I used to still work near it but now I work from home, it's not just a case of popping out at lunch.

Gonna have to find somewhere nearer that deals with shit old cars. 

24 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Or one that's never seen shit old cars and you can point out which bits of the MoT don't* apply.

Yeah Volksy took my Jag to the Vauxhall Dealership he worked at a few years ago and they didn't have a frigging clue what to do with it as they generally don't test cars more than a few years old. 

My xm got tested at a big vw commercial dealer that my mate worked at. 

Usually he nips off to a scrappy lovely saab garage in Loudwater that he was on the books with and moonlighted for, but couldn't get away. 

All the service people took the utter piss out of the poor thing, not helped by a strut return pipe breaking and pissing lhm everywhere! Still passed (just, pinhole in the exhaust. My mate did give me a whisper that if it didn't pass on its own merit he would have to fail it because of where we were. Couldn't just take it outside (leaving the lremesis during a test) and sit on the red line for 5 minutes... (was that sort of friendly tester)) 

While I appreciated the extension on the 2cv's MOT, I now have 2 cars due this month!  The daft thing is, I work for a car dealership, but I don't take the 2cv there any more as they don't understand it and MOTs were a nightmare. Even with the Clio, they were not interested in giving it a service, just straight MOT. I suppose that if you can keep a full workshop with recent vehicles, why bother with ones that could be aggro? Although surely the older ones are more likely to need more money spending?

As others have said, a LOT of cars need MOTs this month, so if your's  needs doing, you may find that you have quite a wait.

2cv passed, but mysterious developed a large hole in the exhaust on the next journey. Clio going in tomorrow. Wish me luck! 

I was a bit ‘pissed off’ that the DVSA dropped the “28 day before expiry”’rule on Covid Extended Tests.  

Whist I appreciate that a car should be road legal, if you put in for a test early and it fails, at least you have a valid MOT for on highway parking whilst you sort the issues.

So Covid extensions become ‘sudden death’ in that if you fail, your extension gets cut short.  Fekkin stupid IMHO.

So I Booked in for day of expiry on the basis that there was little to be gained by testing early. Then I got a bit ‘unwell’ and wasn’t up for fixing the washer pump that finally failed as I did my own pre-MOT.  Ok, it wasn’t brilliant but met the min std by delivering a dribble to the screen.  The fekker packed up when I topped up the washer bottle and went to align a jet to try and improve things.

Cancelled my test to buy me some time to fix the washer when I feel better and am up to crawling around under front bumper.

Bollux, now out of test, so rather than leave it parked in the road, put it on parents drive, ordered new pump.

28 day rule would have seen me OK.  Hats off to the DVSA for the original extension scheme, but which fekkin clown dropped the 28 day rule, twat.