MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

gadgetgricey

26 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

Should really be in the grump thread but it is apt here.

A Discovery 2 came in today for an MoT. The extention was already inplace but as the owner dropped the car off and left it with us we MoT'd it. As it was driven in to the workshop we both heard a metal on metal scraping noise. Sure enough the offside brake pads were on the metal. Front brake binding and with it being an auto the gearbox overheating light is flashing. More than likely connected. Anyway being an automatic 4x4 couldn't put in on the brake rollers we had to use the decelerometer. Luckily we only went down the yard and not on the road.The brake pad had gone way past metal on metal and when my glamourous assistant put her foot on the brake the pad was so thin it came out and wedged itself between the carrier and the disc. The wheel was locked solid. Had to take it apart in the middle of the yard and slowly drive it back to the workshop.

The customer couldn't believe it as the car was only serviced two years ago and he hasn't done many miles since !

I saw a 2004 merc driving up thame high street yesterday making the exact same sound! 

Has anybody had an MOT extension, used it for a while, then had their car freshly MOTed before the extension end date was reached?

I ask because I listened to a tale that a friend of friend who got an extension but after a month had there car MOTed anyway. The new expiry date only lasted to the original anniversary date so in effect they only got 11 months. What have others experienced?

25 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I ask because I listened to a tale that a friend of friend who got an extension but after a month had there car MOTed anyway. The new expiry date only lasted to the original anniversary date so in effect they only got 11 months. 

That is exactly what I was told by a friend who is an MOT tester would happen.

Be interesting to know if you wait until almost the end of the extension do you then get the remaining 6 months balance.

2 minutes ago, Tickman said:

Be interesting to know if you wait until almost the end of the extension do you then get the remaining 6 months balance.

I was even thinking if I went 1 day past the end of the extension before MOTing it again will that reset the 12 months MOT.

Does your MOT tester friend know?

Interesting one (IMO...)

Parent's car - MOT due 14th June.

Was extended to 14th December.

Dad took it for an MOT on 11th June so was within the original test period, not actually reached the extended period yet but expiry showed 14th December online so extension was in place.

New expiry date shows 10th June so he's actually "lost" 4 days of test.

Interesting set of observations.  You can MOT 28 days (approx) before the expiry date of your test.  

lt looks as though that rule has been carried over to the extended date and thus if you MOT ‘before’ the 28 day window, you loose the preservation of the expiry date.

i’d not registered that, made me change my plans on a couple of MOT’s that have been extended.  

Yeah, the Alfa is 10th August. I see the government have planned it well though. All the cars in March were given 6 months extension, that  takes them to September. Add on the cars that will now be due anyway from August, so that's double the demand for the next 6 months. And I read earlier that Baroness something or other that is in charge of this says that MOT stations are currently at 70% capacity. Good luck everyone getting an MOT on time, just pray you don't then have to try to get a re test. I may be lucky, where I work does MOTs anyway so I might get in on time.

As we approached the 22nd August, my lads expiry, I was wondering if he would get a 6 month extension, but this answers that.  So best get it booked for late July.   As OP say, Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan will see quite a demand for testing.

it is good that there is another step to a more normal, just a shame that Fekkin virus is still out there 

The only car I own to get an MOT extension was the one on SORN, so that didn't help. 

I wonder if all the car adverts with 'short MOT but likely to be extended' will now plummet in price? There's been some wacky asking prices for scrap lately. 

20 hours ago, bramz7 said:

The only car I own to get an MOT extension was the one on SORN, so that didn't help. 

I wonder if all the car adverts with 'short MOT but likely to be extended' will now plummet in price? There's been some wacky asking prices for scrap lately. 

Been planning on selling the Z4 for a while now,  but thought it would be prudent to wait as MOT is due late July. 

Glad I waited to be honest, as when I advertise it in a month's time, I'll be mentioning the MOT expires in January 2021. 

Laguna will get an extension. Debating whether I want to MOT for a full 12 months to sell, or just sell as is with 6 month extension. The other problem is that insurance is renewing soon and I'd rather not pay out for that if I'm selling it. 

19 minutes ago, outlaw118 said:

Company van is in for work AGAIN and then an MoT. Any idea how long the gov.uk website takes to update? Is it immediate or overnight?

Its immediate, if you download the knowyourcar app and add the van it will notify you about 30 seconds after its passed.