MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

gadgetgricey

I was wondering about how long the extension was going to go on for too.

The Honda is up at end of this month but as it's only my hack bike I don't care if it now expires in December, that's no big deal, it does few miles and is all sorted anyway. The Alfa on the other hand as my daily, expires end of next month and I don't want that being due in January (done repairs lying in the snow - don't want to any more). It's all good but if it carries on I'll get it done in October I think. 

My Xsara is up on the 24th and I'm hoping it's extended just because I can't fully afford it this month... Also haven't got a decent day to actually do it. I've got the car presentable, and gone through and over it as I normally would so if needed I can throw it in and hope, but I'd like more time...

Even just flooring it up and down the motorway a few times would help, I dread to think what it would blow on the emissions test after 3 months of local piddling around, can't send it in to its test 2 miles away and have it hot too easily (without a massive diversion)

But then I'd have a test due on the end of December, so it would get done way before then regardless, just because I hate december MOT's

46 minutes ago, PiperCub said:

I was wondering about how long the extension was going to go on for too.

Aware this has been mentioned earlier, but to my mind it has to last for a full 12 months. So everyone gets an extra 6 months added.

If not, next year will have the vast majority of MOT's in one 6 month period and non in the rest.

2 hours ago, gadgetgricey said:

Aware this has been mentioned earlier, but to my mind it has to last for a full 12 months. So everyone gets an extra 6 months added.

If not, next year will have the vast majority of MOT's in one 6 month period and non in the rest.

Agreed (I think I wrote similar further up this thread some time ago).  The legislation allows for it to continue for 12 months and I can't see it being stopped sooner. 

There is a huge 'call ' from the trade to end the extension.  

This is understandable because due to the reduced number of vehicles being tested, then revenue is down for the garages.  

The other 'concern' is whether the DVSA network can handle,the extra volume in Sept, Oct, Nov etc etc .  One view I have heard is that the DVSA just leave it running for 12 months. and then everything 'sorts itself out'   This means that some cars will,have gone two years without a test, but if they are well maintained there is no issue, it is those that aren't well maintained that is of concern.

I was grateful of the need not to go 'hunting' for test stations in April and May.  But like many, I'm not a fan of October to March test dates.  If you need to do any prep, doing so in the cold is not great.  I will thus be having our 'extenders' tested in late Sept

9 hours ago, Isaac Hunt said:

There is a huge 'call ' from the trade to end the extension. 

Is there?  My local garage are quite happy with the fact that they are still doing a number of MOTs for people who'd rather get them done than take advantage of the extension, but are able to do more servicing & repair jobs which bring in more money.

9 hours ago, Isaac Hunt said:

One view I have heard is that the DVSA just leave it running for 12 months. and then everything 'sorts itself out'   This means that some cars will,have gone two years without a test,

No - even if it's left to run for 12 months, no car will go more than 18 months between tests. 

On 6/18/2020 at 8:53 AM, BeEP said:

Is there?  My local garage are quite happy with the fact that they are still doing a number of MOTs for people who'd rather get them done than take advantage of the extension, but are able to do more servicing & repair jobs which bring in more money.

No - even if it's left to run for 12 months, no car will go more than 18 months between tests. 

If a vehicle had an MOT expiry of 4th April, it gets a 6 month extension until 4th October.  As we approach the 4th October, if the extension is still being applied, are you saying that the 4th October will not be extended until 4th May ?

1 hour ago, Isaac Hunt said:

If a vehicle had an MOT expiry of 4th April, it gets a 6 month extension until 4th October.  As we approach the 4th October, if the extension is still being applied, are you saying that the 4th October will not be extended until 4th May ?

AFAIK each vehicle only gets one extension 

Screenshot_20200624_080637_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.ffeee5cc55f97e17143bbf979e7ac1aa.jpg

Woohoo! That's a weight off, I don't mind admitting I've forgotten about the car for the last 3 months, not driving it every day stopped it niggling me!

Fuck waiting until 24/12 though! The office is open now, so hopefully my seatbelts will pass through hermes and get delivered, then I can smash those in and get it tested in August or some other handier time! Should probably grab an aux belt too as its one is perished as fuck... 

3 hours ago, Dick Van Diesel said:

I wonder when this will end? I've got two which are due MOT at the end of July. 

I'm thinking much the same myself. The government havent really been clear on when this will end. I am away to look at a cheap little polo today which has mot due at the end of next month, if it gets the extension that would be perfect.

My Alfa is due August but I have booked it in for next month. Lucky its not my daily so not too bad if it fails. I could wait until August to see if I get a covid extension but then that's Feb next year, possibly in the middle of flu season/ 2nd wave? When you could be bolloxed to get a test anyway. I think the government will run it until the scheduled end next March. If they end it in the next couple of months and there is a second wave then MOT stations could shut again and there is the risk of cars being without an MOT at all. 

2 hours ago, andyberg said:

My Alfa is due August but I have booked it in for next month. Lucky its not my daily so not too bad if it fails. I could wait until August to see if I get a covid extension but then that's Feb next year, possibly in the middle of flu season/ 2nd wave? When you could be bolloxed to get a test anyway. I think the government will run it until the scheduled end next March. If they end it in the next couple of months and there is a second wave then MOT stations could shut again and there is the risk of cars being without an MOT at all. 

I agree with Andy. The Gov should be looking to smooth the timelines out to get monthly demand back to normal levels. So they need to keep doing it till March.

I didn't take advantage of the extension and bunged the Vectra in on time.

Got mine done and out of the way ...

I dont put it past  a  car needing  a deep clean before a mot test to protect the testers

I dont put it past the govt to ladle this extra cost on car owners once testing ramps up

Looks as though UK Motorists are settling down to ‘normal’ with about 65% of MOT’s being undertaken when originally due in May.

when I said there is ‘huge’ pressure from within the trade to end the exemption, I was referring to that epitomised my some of the trade bodies 

E0A466C5-238E-4445-8C5D-4D3079B5CBEA.jpeg

10 hours ago, MikeR said:

Got mine done and out of the way ...

I dont put it past  a  car needing  a deep clean before a mot test to protect the testers

I dont put it past the govt to ladle this extra cost on car owners once testing ramps up

Deep clean? Plastic bag seat covers and a quick wipe of the steering wheel, and wash your hands after being in it. 

I'm fingers crossed for it lasting another two months. The vfr is due at the end of August which is a crap time for a bike. I'd happily push it back to October where getting a slot won't be as hard and anything can be tackled over winter ready for next season. 

Perhaps as part of a phased approach they could offer 14 months for 12 (like you can preserve your date normally up to a month) to stagger the amounts a little when they do come to getting rid of it.

Should really be in the grump thread but it is apt here.

A Discovery 2 came in today for an MoT. The extention was already inplace but as the owner dropped the car off and left it with us we MoT'd it. As it was driven in to the workshop we both heard a metal on metal scraping noise. Sure enough the offside brake pads were on the metal. Front brake binding and with it being an auto the gearbox overheating light is flashing. More than likely connected. Anyway being an automatic 4x4 couldn't put in on the brake rollers we had to use the decelerometer. Luckily we only went down the yard and not on the road.The brake pad had gone way past metal on metal and when my glamourous assistant put her foot on the brake the pad was so thin it came out and wedged itself between the carrier and the disc. The wheel was locked solid. Had to take it apart in the middle of the yard and slowly drive it back to the workshop.

The customer couldn't believe it as the car was only serviced two years ago and he hasn't done many miles since !

35 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

But the German TUV is every 2 years

And the NCT is every 2 years in Eire up to the cars 10th birthday..

And thr French CT is every 2 years....

Not sure on the French or Irish systems but the TUV test is very stringent and would fail many MoT passes from this country. From my experience they have a Teutonic way of thinking on their cars so they are generally very well maintained, or at least they were where I was. Some of the guys I knew were amazed by what wasn’t tested and what we could to vehicles. As an example one of the guys was amazed I could choose different tyres for my motorbike at my choice as he had a list of approved tyres for his. That was the early 90s but I bet they are the same now.

10 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

Should really be in the grump thread but it is apt here.

A Discovery 2 came in today for an MoT. The extention was already inplace but as the owner dropped the car off and left it with us we MoT'd it. As it was driven in to the workshop we both heard a metal on metal scraping noise. Sure enough the offside brake pads were on the metal. Front brake binding and with it being an auto the gearbox overheating light is flashing. More than likely connected. Anyway being an automatic 4x4 couldn't put in on the brake rollers we had to use the decelerometer. Luckily we only went down the yard and not on the road.The brake pad had gone way past metal on metal and when my glamourous assistant put her foot on the brake the pad was so thin it came out and wedged itself between the carrier and the disc. The wheel was locked solid. Had to take it apart in the middle of the yard and slowly drive it back to the workshop.

The customer couldn't believe it as the car was only serviced two years ago and he hasn't done many miles since !

Fuck me