MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

gadgetgricey

Initially the MoT special notice said they would be monitoring and reviewing the extension. This has been replaced with 6 month extension for 12 months. I've not seen or heard of the 6 month MoT rumour. If we get a special notice when the extension ends I will let you all know.

I've been looking at the failure rates. In March the average failure rate was 32% of those 26% were for brakes, 31% suspension and 22% for tyres. Going by those figures roughly one in three cars will not be safe. With the extension most of Aprils car MoTs will not have been done. Of those 1 in 3 one in four will have dodgy brakes and one in five  will have illegal tyres .  So if you are planning to have a drive about in England be very wary of other road users....Stay safe.

I just went to book mine in a month early for its test , and they said this post dating was not avb during the 6 month extension .

as I am off sick it would of been handy to have my car done ready for the summer .

so I opted for a test nearer the due date ...when I am still off sick..

13 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

@MikeR  if the MoT has been extended then your garage is correct but yours is early so won'thave had the extension. 

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

you can get it done before the due date 

what they were saying was I could not take advantage of the extra month by getting it done early ...

as I need the car in the hols and after the hols , it is getting done soon , I wont need to worry about the post extension rush !!

its only done 8K this year !!

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting the Gov. updates to me by email. No significant changes to the regime or any indication of how and when it will be wound down. Clearly still keen to keep contacts as low as possible here.

But there is an update on the website on what happens if your car is MoT tested during the 6-month extension period it has been given and fails that MoT. Pretty straightforward. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

20200528_134826.thumb.jpg.ece1b0a51efaba99f4b81ac03f79813e.jpg

I'm still off work on furlough at min, but penciled in to start 8th June. I'm dreading going back with social distancing etc. Also been told poss open 12 hrs a day for all mot's that's going to be needed, it's busy around March and September for mots anyway, but goung to be even worse with 6months extra cars to test. Let's face it, people aren't going to take then early, most haven't got a clue when it's due. I only realised mine had expired in April, luckily it's been extended for 6 months. 

On 5/28/2020 at 1:50 PM, lesapandre said:

I am getting the Gov. updates to me by email. No significant changes to the regime or any indication of how and when it will be wound down. Clearly still keen to keep contacts as low as possible here.

But there is an update on the website on what happens if your car is MoT tested during the 6-month extension period it has been given and fails that MoT. Pretty straightforward. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

20200528_134826.thumb.jpg.ece1b0a51efaba99f4b81ac03f79813e.jpg

That is now on failure sheets.

If this vehicle had an MOT extension in place at the time of test, it is no longer valid

The vehicle must pass an MOT before it can be used on public roads.

Boxster I got a new MOT literally the day before the extension was announced. A4 expires in 11 days time. So I suspect in 3 days time we will get an announcement that the extension is no longer happening...

I'll probably get it MOT before the extension is out, just allows me to time it with the service which is due in 1800 miles. Usually that would be a month's time but our current usage means that may be a few more months. 

Mine is due on the 29th, problem if it isn't extended is getting it in to the garage, as there's no National Express services at the moment I'm floating spare on local bus so only know a couple of days in advance what I'm working the following week. 

We have 3 family cars now running on the 6 Month extension.   This was useful to avoid fekkin about in the Lockdown.

only downside is they are now November expiry.  That doesn’t suit me, Nov to Feb MOT’s, fekkin about in the cold and rain if anything needs fixing, so i’ll get them done in late Sept / Early Oct.  Then next time round, a ‘28 day’ early MOT will be early Sept with chances of fine weather if there is fixing to do.  

Cars should be OK, but like last year, my own personal pre-MOT check identified a split ( road debris sliced) Inner CV Gaiter.  So that had to be addressed before shoving it in for test.

21 minutes ago, Isaac Hunt said:

We have 3 family cars now running on the 6 Month extension.   This was useful to avoid fekkin about in the Lockdown.

only downside is they are now November expiry.  That doesn’t suit me, Nov to Feb MOT’s, fekkin about in the cold and rain if anything needs fixing, so i’ll get them done in late Sept / Early Oct.  Then next time round, a ‘28 day’ early MOT will be early Sept with chances of fine weather if there is fixing to do.  

Cars should be OK, but like last year, my own personal pre-MOT check identified a split ( road debris sliced) Inner CV Gaiter.  So that had to be addressed before shoving it in for test.

That's what will get me too, I've finally got a car that doesn't need a test on the fucking 29th of December and it might be in December after all! (but like you say I'll Wang it in a bit earlier!) 

• 2 weeks later...

Confession time, and really embarrassed about this.

Golf's MOT got extended about a month ago, and did not give it a second thought.
Drove the car a few miles last week, and ended up driving into a space on full lock.
Returned to the car and BOTH front tyres are very worn on the inside (cables staring to show)

Got new tyres and tracking done the next day, but got me wondering how many other people may be driving round for an extra 6 months with something wrong with the car and not realise.
No excuse for myself as should have been checking,  but still a sobering thought.

25 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

Does anybody know when this MOT extension will be ending? I have a car due on the 14th July and ideally I could do without having to get it MOT'd in the coming weeks.

With shielding having been extended (in Scotland at least) I doubt that is can realistically be ended before the end of July at the earliest.

This is good news as the Mini MOT is due on 12th July and I have to replace our bathroom which is leaking into the living room and also falling to bits because of a cowboy builder 4 years ago.

The Mini isn't making any untoward noises, tyres, brakes, lights are fine and brake lines are plastic coated at the front so I'm comfortable to continue until around October.