MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

gadgetgricey

If possible I hope to MoT mine when they naturally fall due in July/August - tends to be quieter, plus nicer weather for rolling around underneath a car fixing something...

The 'return to normal' process will need careful management, not just for MoTs but for all parts of life and businesses.

My 16th April hasn’t ‘moved yet’ so i’m not quite sure where that fits in with ‘7 days before’ but it will ‘move’ sometime between now and the 16th April.    

Next Milestone is about 3rd May, daughters car.  

Quite handy really as we had 4 family cars all maturing between end March and May.  

I will get the ones ‘pushed back’MOT’d in August ( here’s hoping we will be beyond Coronashite by then).   This spreads the load, having 4 family cars within a month was a bit naff if the weather was miserable.  I do like to fully valet and check over before taking a car in.  

I must be the only bloke in the country with a vehicle without an MOT. The ticket on the T2 expired in February, but it was booked in for a service & a test on 31st March. The garage closed on the 27th! In theory, I could queue up in the teeny tiny village post office & change it to historic taxation & sod the test, but I'd probably catch the pox in there.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:33 PM, CortinaDave said:

Had to get a tyre at kwak fat this week for the first time in years as it was all that was open. Got sharked as expected. Still, was grateful they were open or I'd have been stuck.

I have 3 spare tyres plus the space saver ...  and the local independent is opening in a morning .

must find out what the crack is on local MOTs soon , the garage has been open when I have walked the dog

pushing my MOT to the end of summer would be handy !

1 hour ago, Isaac Hunt said:

16th April now 16th Oct, No Advisories ? 

DVSA working on B’Hol Friday, or your Man’s computer code is well written.

So folks...is the 7-days ahead is now fully operating? Was being done a day before earlier in the month - though was varying a bit car to car.

When the current Apocalypse ends some will have about 7 days to get a MoT when the extension system ends?

3 hours ago, 0ldCh0d said:

I just checked my daily’s MOT which was mot’d in December 2019.....it’s still MOT’d until.....December 2020.

The 6 month extension is applied 7 days in advance of expiry date.  We understand that the DVSA will ‘turn off’ this facility at a ‘point in time’ when all this Coronavirushite is ‘under  some control’ 

34 minutes ago, Isaac Hunt said:

The 6 month extension is applied 7 days in advance of expiry date.  We understand that the DVSA will ‘turn off’ this facility at a ‘point in time’ when all this Coronavirushite is ‘under  some control’ 

Very useful update thanks.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:21 PM, sierraman said:

Surely after all this the MOT stations will be impossibly busy at the end of the year?

My thoughts exactly.

My 205GTi was going for MoT tomorrow (11th April) and the MX5 on the following Tuesday but not now of course. They are due on 8/5 & 12/5 respectively but the six month extension will put them in November which I don't really want, I'd rather they were May to September (for weather reasons mainly) so when DVSA pull the plug on extensions being granted, I'm getting both done pretty quick as there will be a real fight for MoT slots from Sept onwards in the future. 

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

Well my local garage is open still so there’s no reason for me to wait till the six months grace is up. 

Not thoroughly checked but most seem shut round my way. 

Agree that cheap tickets may go away for a while though. (I get a trade-type deal for £30-35 usually). 

Raises the question about EU alignment with a two year test regimen (yes I know we voted out) but the ability to have the same test (April 2018 changes) every 2 years wherever you are is appealing.

The 6 month extension will I expect run to the end otherwise nobody could plan and you’d have a block of people out of test without warning.

387294A7-768F-4EF8-8C91-E7C2C9D01186.jpeg

My local tyre place is still open, but I wouldn’t trust them to do an MoT on the 2CV (which is due early next month).

I did trust them to pop two new tyres on the back of the Saab when one got a slow puncture and then when it was up in the air I saw how badly the middle of the tyre on the other side was cracked! (Sidewalls were fine... ?)

5 hours ago, bangernomics said:

The 6 month extension will I expect run to the end otherwise nobody could plan and you’d have a block of people out of test without warning.

Run to the end of what, the lockdown, the year, the next decade  ?

At the moment, Week 1,2,3 of October could potentially have April 2020 and October’s falling ‘due’ at the same time - less any that will have been undertaken in July Aug Sept (assuming we are clear of this Coronashite by then ). The knock on effect will continue for a while - I can’t see us being out of lockdown until the mid to end of May IMHO,

So that would make Oct and Nov very heavy on the trade for MOT.  Then it would all settle down a bit.  Then April and May 2021 will be a bit light, mainly 3 year old at first test and those who didn’t take the extension.  As each year passes, it will gradually even itself back out and then there will be a blip in 2023 as few 3 year olds come ‘first test’ due to lower 2020 registrations - unless dealer groups have neen pre-registering

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Eehhh, one that looks after their car and knows what it needs??

My Corsas MOT is about to be extended but it's going nowhere because the strut tops have rotted through. Tyres are great by the way.

There’s the difference, you know this because you keep an eye on things, a lot will just use it to dodge getting the test done and in turn avoid the inconvenience of expense on tyres etc. Strictly speaking I could have run the old Mondeo for another six months but it’s unroadworthy due to the rear suspension going west, I wouldn’t be happy to use it but there’s plenty of people out there that couldn’t give a fuck so long as it runs. 

I know my car is fine apart from the odd niggle , so the MOT is due end of  June , but I will get it done end of July if the extension allows ...

its done about 200 miles this year so far !!!!

2 hours ago, Claire84 said:

spoke with my mot man yesterday who reckoned of the cars they've tested lately nearly half have failed on tyres.  

i shall still be getting my mg tested next week even though it's exempt because what sort of knuckle headed pig ignorant mouth breather doesn't want a fresh set of eyes on their car for £40 and a pack of biscuits?

It is ignorance 99% of the time, I am the ‘car bloke’ where I work and see lots of problems that should be easily noticeable by the vaguely aware. With the exception of one guy, none of them would choose to run on bald tyres - they just NEVER check them (that’s what the MoT is for in their eyes - and many think the MoT is the same as a service). They don’t notice funny noises, smells, tight spots in the steering etc etc. I have got into cars I have never driven and within a minute know something is not right but they seem oblivious. Some of it can be explained by the younger ones being used to the ‘wrapped in cotton wool’ feel of modern cars, but the ones older than me are no better so it can’t just be that. I think to most people cars are just like a fridge or a TV, they don’t care how it works - they have become a white good.