MOT tests to be extended by 6 months, if due from 30 March

gadgetgricey

What about a car with an mot expired after March 30? Is that essentially allowing “6 months test” when selling a car say with 1 months test to go? Or even a car whose mot has just lapsed into that period. 

I think the usual ruling in un-roadworthiness will apply. If you're out and about in a car getting something essential (ie the food for the week or travelling to work where you need to be in) and Mr Policeman sees something obviously not working dangerous with your car but the MoT is still valid or has been extended then the law will apply as if the test was only carried out a week ago.

The state some idiots let their cars get into between annual tests does leave a lot to be desired though if they're allowed 6 months on top of usual.

My Volvo is due on 3 April. I did have it booked in for test tomorrow but the garage have just told me they’re clearing the work that’s already in then closing their premises from 1st April. He said I can still bring it in tomorrow but given the new extension it’s not important so I’ve cancelled it.

Tbh, I’d rather not take any chances with this virus and it’s better for me and better for them. He said he’s got to do the best thing for his staff which is fair and sensible. I’ll just take the 6 month extension and book it in later in the year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-owners-to-be-granted-mot-exemption-in-battle-against-coronavirus

"All cars, vans and motorcycles which usually would require an MOT test will be exempted from needing a test from 30 March 2020."

That sounds suspiciously like you do not need an MOT to use your vehicle, it just needs to be in a roadworthy state.

51 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

Sweet, have a fucked sensor putting my airbag light on and MOT due early May 

*puts wallet away*

I'm the same. I have a faulty ABS light. Being able to focus on the stuff that actually keeps it usable is good.

I can't put my wallet away as I need 4 new shocks as they were all weeping anyway and have popped one by way of excessive exuberance trying to impress a girl. The C2 really has turned me into a 17 year old again. Luckily I can get them less than £25 a corner, and it seems that parts supply chains are remaining open, if not quite as swift.

2 hours ago, dc2100k said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-owners-to-be-granted-mot-exemption-in-battle-against-coronavirus

"All cars, vans and motorcycles which usually would require an MOT test will be exempted from needing a test from 30 March 2020."

That sounds suspiciously like you do not need an MOT to use your vehicle, it just needs to be in a roadworthy state.

Not an exemption. Just the existing  current MoT's from March 30 extended by 6-months at the flick of an electronic switch. Details in Gov website.

To check a vehicle look on the Gov MoT website for a particular vehicle to see if extended.

So they will have a longer MoT after that date. (Non-MoT are not eligible nor those that expired just before 30th).