My '82 Porsche 924 2.0 n/a in Light Metallic Blue - Tatty McTat

Cord Fourteener

Indeed fools.

Though I used to love all the supercars, now I think they are all silly!

Even in 89 (Iwas 8 then) wasn't £395 was a bargain for a runner? I remember my best mate had a plastic model kit of one of the transaxle Porsches. It was so cool, we painted it black.

I'm amazed that both on here and in local life how many people have said they had them or just loved them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

924’s were an integral part of my transition from callow youth to something approximating a man.

1982 and a new Account Executive arrives at my workplace in a flurry of shoulder pads, YSL Opium , hair gel and 4” heels, the MD sends me down to take her to our underground car park . She throws me the keys to her 924 LeMans because she’s not confident reversing- I still remember pushing the seat, right back  and not being able to reach the pedals - the first time that had ever happened, I can’t remember it happening since to be honest. Anyway I was smitten .

A year later she divorced one rich man and he took the 924, she got a company Scirocco Storm until she found another rich sap who funded the start up of her own company , I went with her she got another 924 this time having it painted pink!  Real paint not a wrap they hadn’t been invented , I got an XR3i luckily I convinced her pink wouldn’t be a good look for me. I used to love driving those 924s even if I did get some choice insults from cab drivers etc, if I was on my own.

We went to Paris a couple of times on business* trips-Hovercraft and Autoroute didn’t start till StOmer, I used to think I was on a Car road trip and got as excited by the journey as the evening activities. The 924 would sit at an indicated 120 all the way- the Gendarmes still had Renault 4’s then, and didn’t bother British cars anyway.

Eventually I realised it couldn’t last forever and moved on, not before over the Christmas break of 1985 whilst she and hubby no.2 were in Barbados , I managed to shag the gearbox on his 735iSE, ( only fair as I was doing the same to his wife) which meant I had to use the 924 as it had a phone and my car didn’t. I met the current Mrs N and drove to Mid Wales on Christmas Eve then back to her parents in Milton Keynes on Christmas Day- again 120 for all the deserted Motorway miles.

Since then I’ve considered the odd 924 , but never bought one, I had 1/3 shares in a £700 944S2 which we abused on a few track days , memorably getting threatened with been kicked out for ‘drifting’ at Bedford Autodrome- we hadn’t got a choice the tyres were like concrete, even though they’d got tread.

One of my brothers bought a 944 Turbo which was fun and I considered for MrsN, she kyboshed that on the grounds it was the same as HER car- overlapping women is never a good idea.