My '82 Porsche 924 2.0 n/a in Light Metallic Blue - Tatty McTat

Cord Fourteener

This is my 924, Florian. He's old and tatty but during my stewardship I aim to tidy him up. I've had him a couple of years, he's my first classic car, rather than mundane old shite.

Yes he is a classic, before you ask; he's on classic insurance. He's nearly tax and MOT exempt, two more years to go.

And yes he's a Porsche. Some will say he's a VW built in the Audi factory using the Audi 2.0 and the transaxle and the VW Parts bin in general. Yes that's all true but he was designed by a man whose surname was Porsche and the has the word plastered Porsche all over him. The father of this man founded VW and designed the KDF Wagen, the car we know as the Beetle and the Porsche 911. In fact if you get an elephant to sit on the Beetle and swap it's engine to a 6 cylinder you get a 911.

Let's brush over the Nazi origins of these cars and understand that you cannot separate VW and Porsche as companies. They have always faught over who owns who; VW won that game in the end though and now also want to rule the world.

Back to my car.

Here he is

https://porsche924.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31111

Here is @Twin-Cam's video of Florian

I'll get some photos for here next time he comes out of the garage!

Anyway job in hand today: continuing the re-upholstery of the seats.

More to come, I'm sure.

I had one years ago, I bought it from a breaker for £1000, it was probably '92 so it would have been 10 ish years old. I couldn't get the mechanical injection system to work so I converted it to twin sidedraughts. I can remember it being a really comfortable long distance car. The engine was a joy to work on, loads of room around it and a sound design.

More pics please, especially interior.

More pics. Just washed it, focussing on the arches and sills. Next step is touching up with rust converter.

Note the rusted front outer arches behind the front wheel, of course. The general shabbyness and the bumped front bumper, with slightly off drivers pop-up headlight.

Endearing qualities.

@brownnova this is the car you may see milling around on occasion.

20200324_141902.jpg

20200324_141916.jpg

20200324_141928.jpg

20200324_141946.jpg

20200324_142000.jpg

20200324_142005.jpg

20200324_142011.jpg

20200324_142017.jpg

20200324_142039.jpg

20200324_142151.jpg

2 hours ago, Twin-Cam said:

I've never really got the whole "it's not a real Porsche" thing. Apart from the whole VW/Porsche connection back to the 30s, a car is a car is a car. If it's cool, it's cool. No matter if it's a Lada or Lambo.

Indeed, it's a cool car. It was considered uncool for so long that 924 owners are now enjoying rapid appreciation now that everyone sees it for what it is, a cool and fun little car, rather than a 'shit Porsche'. 

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Exactly the origins of the first Porsches make it a curious perspective (didn’t even quite late 356s have couple of Vw bits (steering rack?))

So it’s an odd thing to say really.

I think the similarity between the KDF Wagen and the 356 is stark.

1 hour ago, spartacus said:

What's going on there, did you buy a kit or re trim those seats yourself from scratch?

I'm doing it from scratch. On the Porsche 924 owners club thread I've detailed the work that went into the seat base. Will post to that thread what I did today, but later!

Excellent thread; and great video too. I do enjoy 924 content, I owned this lady until a couple of weeks ago:

48223108637_22b633222e_z.jpg

Great to see a transaxle being kept alive and kicking. They are a smashing car to own and drive as I'm sure you're aware. Anyone who's says they're not a real Porsche or anything along those lines, in my own experience at least, has never even sat in one, never mind actually owned or driven one.

7 hours ago, Alusilber said:

Nice rolling resto project there. Great colour for a 924 too, IMHO. 

Real Porsches are the ones that use Beetle parts ?

It was the colour that sold me really, and that it was close to me and in budget, and a runner. But the colour! The it's been re-painted, it's faded a shade and the new paint is starting to de-laminate but, you know, character. I was going to rush into re-painting it but apart from time, lack thereof, I'm clumsy and keep putting more scratches on it!

4 hours ago, inconsistant said:

As you might expect, I thoroughly approve of this!  Good to see someone else from the 924oc on here!

Yes I'm a member, rather the annoying 'I'm stuck, help me!' poster. And I've not posted there over winter, but I'm back there a bit now. It's a valuable and friendly resource indeed. I'd be really stuck without it.

People seem to be down on single model owners clubs, and I'm sure some are awful but the 924oc has been great for me. There are some members who know these cars inside out and crucially are very generous and humble with their knowledge. 

That front wing lower bit is where they always go, there's supposed to be a drainage slot where the middle section of the bottom edge of the wing is shaped away from the inner wing when in position. On a lot of cars it's either hammered flat or the bottom edge of the wing is welded on instead of bolted, the gap is closed and muck & shite collects and rusts through that bit of the wing like yours, and also the bottom of the inner wing too.

This place below does sill repair panels, might be a cheap way of repairing, as decent wings are £100+ if you can find one. Plus it's just the black bit so toy might be able to repair without re spraying the wing.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/repair-panel-porsche-924-outer-sill.html

Good work with the seats. Is that a hobby or are you a professional needlesmith? ou might end up with a queue around the block if word gets out.

10 hours ago, inconsistant said:

People seem to be down on single model owners clubs, and I'm sure some are awful but the 924oc has been great for me. There are some members who know these cars inside out and crucially are very generous and humble with their knowledge. 

That front wing lower bit is where they always go, there's supposed to be a drainage slot where the middle section of the bottom edge of the wing is shaped away from the inner wing when in position. On a lot of cars it's either hammered flat or the bottom edge of the wing is welded on instead of bolted, the gap is closed and muck & shite collects and rusts through that bit of the wing like yours, and also the bottom of the inner wing too.

This place below does sill repair panels, might be a cheap way of repairing, as decent wings are £100+ if you can find one. Plus it's just the black bit so toy might be able to repair without re spraying the wing.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/repair-panel-porsche-924-outer-sill.html

Good work with the seats. Is that a hobby or are you a professional needlesmith? ou might end up with a queue around the block if word gets out.

I've been quoted £50 for welding the wings from a mate, though when I actually get around to it that might have changed!

But that's a useful link, thanks.

My experiences of the 924oc is like yours, a wealth of humble and generous knowledge.

The needle work was an attempt to take over the world making bags and shoes, which is very much fun but very hard to do as a living, and I'm not very good at working indoors when the sun is shining, it seems.

But it did pay for itself at least, but now I go out and garden for people for cash, so the leather is a hobby, i think? Or a shelved profession for a better time to rely upon it full time. Don't know.

But if I end up doing my own interior then I get orders for more interiors, and offered enough cash to make it worth spending the time doing it I think that would be quite nice...

I doubt many people will in the market for new interiors any time soon though!

God I miss my 924!!

Still absolutely my favourite car I’ve ever owned. 
6EBAE6BE-3B7D-4B1B-B6B7-6D95A8CF0A23.jpeg

It was comfy, fun to drive, really good on long journeys (once spent a week touring the south coast in it and did 1000 miles in a week) 

Sadly it was only my second classic car (after the Dolomite I had when I was a student), and I was really rather naive and when it failed its MoT rather badly I sold it as an MoT failure. Now I would have invested time in fixing the faults as beyond it needing welding nothing was too horrendous and (now) I could have done most of it.

924oc were pretty good when I was a member too. Forum was always friendly and helpful.

Have another picture of mine

28DD578E-90ED-4862-BEB6-98A853D29F7E.jpeg

I will own another. I’ve promised myself that.

Look forward to seeing yours out and about @Tim_E

9 hours ago, brownnova said:

God I miss my 924!!

Still absolutely my favourite car I’ve ever owned. 
6EBAE6BE-3B7D-4B1B-B6B7-6D95A8CF0A23.jpeg

It was comfy, fun to drive, really good on long journeys (once spent a week touring the south coast in it and did 1000 miles in a week) 

Sadly it was only my second classic car (after the Dolomite I had when I was a student), and I was really rather naive and when it failed its MoT rather badly I sold it as an MoT failure. Now I would have invested time in fixing the faults as beyond it needing welding nothing was too horrendous and (now) I could have done most of it.

924oc were pretty good when I was a member too. Forum was always friendly and helpful.

Have another picture of mine

28DD578E-90ED-4862-BEB6-98A853D29F7E.jpeg

I will own another. I’ve promised myself that.

Look forward to seeing yours out and about @Tim_E

Ooh lovely. Well after the whole outbreak lockdown isolation thing there is actually a danger you will see mine (and be able to tell me that mine is tatty and tired!)

Is that bottom shot at Ponderosa?

Today I carried on a bit...

Started doing the fancy should stitches of the back of the seat. Easy really, the faff will be getting the whole friggin lot back on the seat when it's all done. But the joy of not doing that yet is still on me as I merrily cut, mark, glue and sew.

Not the Aquillim 315, it's a must for this kind of stitch. You glue the leather together, sew the two pieces together then peel back to the stiching then sew the hems flat with some cotton or linen over the back. The glue is a water based non-toxic finger applied contact adhesive that remains tacky for about a day so you can join the pieces then peel back and rub off the gluey bits easily.

20200328_135039.jpg

20200328_150548.jpg

20200328_145611.jpg

20200328_153917.jpg

20200328_153925.jpg

20200328_155032.jpg

That's some really pretty work you're doing there, Sir.

Your pale blue 924 is the spit of one I used to walk the long way home from middle school just to gawp at. The year was 1989, and the car was parked on a shitty bomb-site sales lot near Keighley, West Yorks, where the stock never seemed to change. The screen price was £395, and I never understood why it was there for so long. Even tried to persuade my parents that it was a bargain for a Porsche. They laughed. I moped upstairs to gaze at my Porsche 959 poster. Other lads liked Testarossas and Lambo Countashs. The fools.