Peugeot 304 Cabriolet

Tomtation

Hi folks,

Anyone seen this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-304s-Convertible-RHD-Restoration-Project-Stored-away-No-Reserve/264667434374?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I have a massive boner for these, i've wanted one for fecking years! Ever since I saw that Top gear episode when May bought one. They are usually waaaay to expensive or a heap of wob, this one appears to be affordable (for me!) so far, cheap enough and close enough that even if it is a gert gobful of wank, then i'd have a go. BUT the OH and I literally actually really last night were saying how we'd stop superfluous spending as a COVID-19 contingency, I should be ok as I work in healthcare but the OH is in retail management so is likely to be affected. Dare i go for it? Would probably cost a hundred or two in transport too.

I have this very sexy mental image of a red/burgundy roof (with matching seats), massively whitewalled tyres, rear arch spats (á la citroen BX/CX) and a period or earlier rear bootlid chrome luggage rack. Oh, and a 100bhp Smart roadster brabus 3 pot 0.7 turbo engine up front ?

I may need to go and pleasure myself now, i've gone all unnecessary.

They are lovely things, but rot like hell - as you can see from this one.

I had a 204 Cabriolet for a while during the nineties and loved it, apparently the column change of those was better than the floor change they introduced on the 304.  There was a period during the 80s/90s when these were very fashionable but that seems to have passed long ago so you may get a sort of bargain here.  Liking the period 1974 plate on it.

5 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

Still 7 days to run on ebay though.

Erm, it ends in two hours!

I had a 304 estate years ago - thoroughly pleasant thing to drive, not quick but lopes along in that classic '70s French manner.  I can believe what Carlo is saying about the 204 gearchange - the 304's was a little vague - but then it's not a sports car in any sense of the word.

If it doesn't get too much more expensive I say go for it.

/\

These are some of my arguments to justify it. I've been keeping an eye on values over the last few years, decent ones seem to go for anything upto 10k with usable projects maybe half that. Cheapest i've ever seen was £1750 for a rust bucket with stripped out interior - might never see a cheaper one, it's only 50 miles away too.

It's £620 now, I have £703.90 that I could spend. Getting close!

2 hours ago, carlo said:

They are lovely things, but rot like hell - as you can see from this one.

I had a 204 Cabriolet for a while during the nineties and loved it, apparently the column change of those was better than the floor change they introduced on the 304.  There was a period during the 80s/90s when these were very fashionable but that seems to have passed long ago so you may get a sort of bargain here.  Liking the period 1974 plate on it.

Much like a 306 cabriolet today I suppose. Very handsome car.

• 3 weeks later...

FUCK, FUCK, FUUUUUCCCK.  Having sold for £770 last month, this car is now back up for sale, in Oxford for £2200 with absoletely cunting nothing done to it apart from a better item description and more photos. To say I am angry with life (and myself, should have fecking bought it and damn the consequences) doesn't even come close to it.

?

/angry. Fair play BTW to the current seller, got themselves a good deal there.

I'm sure a lot of us know the - I should have gone just that little bit over budget lament, and the possibly decider - what has been agreed with OH

I was banned from going to Leominster auctions for my 2nd dream car a 1935/36 Rover 12hp tourer;  was going to see the heart Surgeon following day for final signing up to the op so arguably Mrs K did have a good point; and then a second one came up at the same auctioneers when I was only fit to take it slow around the house, bugger bugger bugger