BIL Bought a Bloody Big Bargain

Peter C

My BIL has failed to find the E39 estate of his dreams and last week a work colleague offered him his 83 year old dad's Subaru Outback 2.5 auto. The old boy was getting lost on route home from the supermarket and his family decided that it was time to hang up his driving gloves.

It's a 2005 car, in silver, with a decent spec that includes sat nav and working a/c. The car came has 131k and FSH, including two stamped up service books and came with 3 months MoT. In recent years, the car has done approx 1k miles between MoTs.

The Good. Drives well, 'box changes smoothly, engine pulls well, nothing leaks. It's been properly serviced and mechanically, the Outback is in rude health. A couple of months ago it had a new alternator and last week a new £100 battery was fitted. The cam belt and auxiliary belts were done at 121k miles. It has a matching set of 6.5k mile old Michelin tyres and a decent spare. The interior is very tidy and all the toys work.

The bad. The bodywork. Giffer related damage to most panels - see photos. The worst is the rear nearside arch and rear passenger door.

How much did this piece of automotive art cost? £320, which I think is reasonable. 

Aside from sub 30 MPG fuel consumption, is there anything that we should know about the Outback? I am guessing that these Subarus are generally low tech and reliable old things?

IMG_5465.thumb.JPG.76249b0af82257ae3c0c2266d88c5877.JPG

IMG_5466.thumb.JPG.bd5759b7e100285b89b062df09c93677.JPG

IMG_5467.thumb.JPG.2d031cac2bdbdc24bc3c0c95fc46e6f4.JPG

IMG_5468.thumb.JPG.0838d5470bf6b0127ebeb7ab33a2d316.JPG

IMG_5469.thumb.JPG.9438569db9501250af112796d1d7b3b9.JPG

IMG_5470.thumb.JPG.f39731ff659ad2998cd6125b71714e04.JPG

IMG_5471.thumb.JPG.a5877f362115d6b1748a6ec072c00661.JPG

IMG_5472.thumb.JPG.a5e4494b99b151923e873e3252200b68.JPG

IMG_5473.thumb.JPG.bd9a5b16635d70e66b95812babe375f8.JPG

IMG_5474.thumb.JPG.2b1368de3e97745170c6138ace346eb2.JPG

IMG_5475.thumb.JPG.b161c83efd42323ed83184133767409d.JPG

IMG_5476.thumb.JPG.deaf9bad123c16a28016bba7cf8e4f23.JPG

IMG_5478.thumb.JPG.63b919fa663428fc7ddcc3a5339e0832.JPG

That’s an amazing price!

There seems to be two schools of thought with these: firstly that they’re incredibly reliable.  They kept coming top of JD Power surveys and they seem very tough.

Secondly, there’s a lot with failed head gaskets.

With purchase price that low, you can certainly live with low fuel economy as long as he doesn’t do 20,000 miles a year

I had a Saloon Legacy (same car but for the ground-clearance) for 7 or 8 years , must be the best all-rounder of a car I have ever owned. 

Troubles? Front calipers, but they are easy to change, rear wheel bearings likewise. Rear subframe rust is a real issue, as the subframe is quite complex with that five-link suspension. The immobiliser died on mine, but it only inhibits the starter motor, so I fitted a starter button.

The parents had a 2.5 Outback manual, '05 model, until very recently.

It was on somewhere in the 130ks in miles when they got rid.

Overall, it was a very reliable car, and really nice to drive. However, the exhaust loved rusting away on it, and parts were seemingly difficult to get hold of. I think some of the exhaust ended up being fabricated by the local exhaust place in stainless steel as it was cheaper than sourcing an OEM part from Subaru. I also remember the price of a front brake caliper carrier being eye-watering!

Otherwise it was a really nice car. I really enjoyed driving it. Even the outback has very direct steering and a nice small steering wheel. It felt very confidence inspiring when pushing on.

The problems above may not happen with your BiL's one though. My parents used their one on their Aberdeenshire farm as a bit of a workhorse, and it also towed somewhat large trailers fairly regularly.

Big bargain. As Asimo says...rear subframe. Get underneath and wire brush and cover in gloop. Same with radiator mounting bar.  Wise to make sure diff oils are good.  Heasgaskets if the old boy was redlining it a lot but sensibly driven not an issue.  Very little really goes wrong with them in my view. I've had 6 of them, all various 3.0 legacy/ outback and 1 Wheel bearing the only thing other than routine maintenance between the lot of them.

The water pump can leak from the  block mounting;  this should have been replaced as part of the cambelt change. Check the rear diff oil seals. Apart from that nothing to worry about. I've had my Impreza for 6 years and done over 60,000 miles. I've spent the value of the car in the last year on wear and tear items - clutch, oil seals, suspension bushes, brakes - but keep up the maintenance and they will reward you with being completely reliable. 

Edit - forget to mention wheel bearings - had to replace all four in the last year.

Well bought (bit of an understatement!)...

We have the same car, same year, and I have been impressed on the whole.  As others have said rust is the enemy... I took the sill covers and wheelarch liners off ours when we bought it (about 4 years ago now actually, should probably have another look!), and greased everything I could.  Rear subframe needs protection too. 

We were quoted over a grand from Subaru for the exhaust, and that was just the cat back.  Local guy did us a stainless one for £600 (and more since to do the cat section), so watch out for any blowing!  Weirdly, the sump had rusted through also, and I had to lift the engine a wee bit to get the rearmost bolts.  Wish I'd noticed it was going when I had it out all the way to change the clutch six months before!  On the plus side, the engine is very easy to pull out, I'd never done it before and it only took 4hrs out, 4hrs clutch on and back in.  

I have just done (yesterday) the nearside rear wheel bearing (£73, eBay), easy enough if you soak/heat the four bolts that hold it in.  Ours is 20k further down the road than yours, but I did the other side two years ago.

Apart from all that boring stuff, as I'm sure you're aware, there aren't many family estates that take the bends as well as an old Subie.  The engine loves to rev, and the noise gets addictive.  I think they've aged well, and are a nice compact car on the road without being small inside.  Rustproof, check the oil regularly (I've gone to 10/40 now, seemed to use a bit of the spec'd 5/30, I think as they get up in miles they need a heavier oil), and enjoy!  Someone said to me that it's only really the turbos that eat their headgaskets… my wife drives the car mainly, but by god does it get a thrashing when I get hold of it!  

The parentals had one, also purchased from a giffer hanging up the stringbacks due to onset of dementia, but not before he'd added a few giffer dents in odd places. Boringly reliable, I don't remember it giving them any problems at all, they only got rid as it started to rust, replacing it with a Forester. The badermatic is supposed to be a weak point but theirs gave no problems.

3 hours ago, Cheggers said:

And it had a fuck service in 2016 emoji23.pngd9301a36ce32da6544903a3204896167.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

It’s had services since then, including one towards the end of last year, all confirmed by stamps presented in the second service book.