Rover Metro 111 farting noises & history lesson

N Dentressangle

24 minutes ago, egg said:

Was the old water pump leaking at all do you think?

Don't think so. I know it looks a bit crusty, but there were no signs of leaks and the water level was steady.

Possible though, I guess.

The contents of the expansion tank are starting to look like what I remember of our septic tank before my dad called Greenapple Sludge to pump it out

SepticTankPumpout008DFs.jpg

If a belt is tight to go on its usually because the front run isn’t tight . If you do get it on then the timing is usually one tooth out when you do so that is what may have happened to you .

Good profess tho . Actually miss doing K series head jobs . Used to do so many you got quick and good at them . I wouldn’t do one without changing the inlet gasket tho 

11 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

. I wouldn’t do one without changing the inlet gasket tho 

The 8v has a very different gasket to the 16v, so is less prone to issues as far as I can understand. Here's the famous 16v one:

s-l1600.jpg

and here's the 8v:

LKJ10050.JPG

I think you're spot on about why I got the belt wrong.

Here's a confession in my defence: I've never actually changed a cambelt before. Somehow I've always managed to run OHV cars, or the job just never came up!

The 16v one looks like its made of carefully sculpted silly string?

Top work, I've only assisted on one head gasket change which all went wrong and the car got scrapped afterwards, and have done precisely 1 cambelt and water pump which all went OK.

Would read again.

• 4 weeks later...

So, a few weeks of daily use and anxious checking of the expansion tank and EVERYTHING'S FINE!!!

Coolant level is steady and clean, temp remains constant. I even gave it an oil and filter change to say thankyou, using a genwine MG Rover for Winners oil filter.

Quick fettling job was to sort the exhaust blow its had since we got it. A piece of crap design (Yeah, I know...) leaves the heavy centre box unsupported, and the stress had caused a rot hole at the top of the otherwise perfect box (fnarr):

yw2sBaM.jpg

As you can see, I tried a wodge of Gun Gum a few months ago, but the flexing of the fucking thing has just made it fall out.

I bought a new box ages ago (they're cheap) but it had rustwelded itself solid into the rear silencer, so for the sake of £25 I ordered a new one of those too. Shame, as the old one's perfect otherwise:

SzbkCNq.jpg

All sorted, with plenty of gasket spunk in the bolted joint which was also blowing like a bastard.

Whilst I had the car on the ramps, I replaced the two manky and rusty self tappers which the secondhand dealer had used to put their own plates on in place of the Rover dealer's 22 years ago:

QUqvNy1.jpg

I know it was then, because this came from the previous (now deceased) owner:

Q6ZjFsX.jpg

I'm not sure which dealer originally registered the car. The service book seems to suggest Rover Finance, although maybe this was just the standard stamp given to AR cars sold on tick:

NAWNEoC.jpg

The service stamps - what few there are - come from Startins of Redditch, so I guess that would be a good bet for the supplying dealer if there was one:

r3cxK8x.jpg

Happy to be put right by the many BL fans* here!