The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

17 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Have you filled it up with E10 perchance? Friend's Toyota Starlet is hesitant and coughs on the new fuel.

Otherwise, it could be a dirty injector.

I did stick E10 in to go to FOD last month, but last fill up was BP's finest E5 premium at £1.59 pl 😳

Had to go into the office today, only 5 miles, but AX is running like crap. Really pissing me off now.

Mojo a tad on the low side right now. Other reasons, not cars, but won't go into details on here, suffice to say GP was considering involving the crisis team, but I refused. 😳

Firstly, I’m really sorry about your mojo issues and can totally understand the difficulties of achieving even basic tasks when mojo is at a low level - never mind sorting  potentially complex fuel injection problems with an old French car! Has the idle worsened since the video you helpfully posted above? It doesn’t sound terribly lumpy there, but it may have deteriorated.

Odd question, but are all the throttle body multiplugs happy? There are 2 (or 3?) big plugs going into the throttle body, and I think in your position I’d be undoing each in turn, wazzing in some contact cleaner into each side, plugging and unplugging them a few times, repeating,   and ensuring that they are all making good solid contact. While you’re under the bonnet it mightn’t be a bad shout to do this with the various blue temp sensors to ensure that the ECU is getting all the correct info.

Does the emissions light ever come up? The one that looks like a small amber explosion. I never saw it but that might be a suggestion of serious running faults (rich/lean) if it’s enough to confuse the lambda sensors. 

Getting fed up with this now. Idle is up and down randomly. Surge/hunts when idling or driving gently. Sometimes goes like a rat up a shutter and sometimes bogs down. 

Going to try @outlaw118 's advice and put an in line fuel filter in, as well as investigate all the open vacuum ports which have no tubes on them. 🤔

Looking on the French advice websites I have found this advice (trans) which is a possibility:

"with the injection, the throttle flap is completely closed, the idle speed regulator is a kind of bypass which allows the engine to be supplied with air, while the injection computer calculates how much to send  fuel to keep things running smoothly, whether cold or hot - and sometimes the idle regulator has a malfunction

On a multipoint injection, I would have advised you to look at this step-by-step but as the AX has a single point injection (it looks like a carburetor), the system is different, it is a part which is called "idle speed regulator" and which is fixed on the injection body"

They are available it seems:

https://www.oscaro.com/valve-de-reglage-du-ralenti-alimentation-dair-citroen-ax-za-11-1-1-55cv-1298-15323-0-gt

Have a look and see if you have got one of these. Given they are so readily available failures may be a common occurrence. 

Been faffing with the AX today

IMG20211010140140.thumb.jpg.635741dc0eff177a94fddb5471913201.jpg

Added in line fuel filter and cleaned everything with carb cleaner.

IMG20211010140143.thumb.jpg.a05d79ddafe5801a982b5630b8e8ddf6.jpg

Cleaned up injection electrical connections, funnily enough, when I unplugged what I presume is the TPS, it didn't change the idle at all. 🤔 I've ordered a replacement anyway, as it's only 9 quid.

Tidied up a few of the cable tied bits and replaced some of the missing vacuum hoses. 

IMG20211010142348.thumb.jpg.780178db369a537f8981b732eb248521.jpg

It doesn't seem any different, although when it's not bogging down, it feels more lively. 

Found some money hidden in the AX today, obviously by a previous owner. 😳

If one of the previous owners wants to reclaim said money, they just have to say where and how much.

And no, it wasn't 20p in the handbrake.

@AxWomble

@castros_bro

If not, I'll throw it in the pot for the Peugeot.

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time. Treasure hunt?
30 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

Found some money hidden in the AX today, obviously by a previous owner. 😳

If one of the previous owners wants to reclaim said money, they just have to say where and how much.

And no, it wasn't 20p in the handbrake.

@AxWomble

@castros_bro

If not, I'll throw it in the pot for the Peugeot.

I realised I'd left it there the day after I sold! £20 hiding behind the steering wheel centre cover, emergency petrol cash/getting towed out of a ditch by a farmer funds. Will PM bank details - send us a tenner and keep the rest for 309 fettling eh? Cheers! 

34 minutes ago, richbraith said:

Hell yes, I've gotten logged out and struggled to get back in again...

Yes, well it was this.

246071386_702253667834707_6859001573221010085_n.jpg

I didn't realise there were any Ultras left. Dad owned an immaculate black Ultra Horizon in the early 80s - VFJ 570X,  following an earlier Horizon and Alpine. It looks like it lasted a decade, which was pretty much standard fayre for these at the time. What's the story with yours? Long-term decent storage? 

8 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I didn't realise there were any Ultras left. Dad owned an immaculate black Ultra Horizon in the early 80s - VFJ 570X,  following an earlier Horizon and Alpine. It looks like it lasted a decade, which was pretty much standard fayre for these at the time. What's the story with yours? Long-term decent storage? 

It's been owned by a few members of this forum, and a few members of the Talbot Chrysler forum, and has made its way to me.  I'm not sure how much of it is original...I don't think alloys were standard.   It's had an awful lot of work done in the last year and now drives superbly.  It's fun to be out and about in...it's so conspicuous! 

8 hours ago, richbraith said:

It's been owned by a few members of this forum, and a few members of the Talbot Chrysler forum, and has made its way to me.  I'm not sure how much of it is original...I don't think alloys were standard.   It's had an awful lot of work done in the last year and now drives superbly.  It's fun to be out and about in...it's so conspicuous! 

Now you mention it, I do vaguely remember reading about an A plate Horizon on here a few years back. I guess this is one and the same. 

Have you seen this brochure for the Ultra Horizon? Looks like the seller is open to offers too. The slotted steels are the same as my father had on his Ultra. I'm trying to work out if they're different to standard Horizon steels, and where your alloys came from...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TALBOT-HORIZON-ULTRA-Car-Sales-Specification-Leaflet-Dec-1981-C9621-1-50-/202918427507?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Screenshot_20211017-090900_eBay.jpg

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time. Make a wish
4 hours ago, DoctorRetro said:

Yep, but I've replaced both as you should always do suspension stuff in pairs, or so I'm told. Plus there were two provided with the car.

Nice! No harm in free parts - definitely best to replace in pairs as it reduces the chance of fitting a slightly longer/shorter component on one side, thus mucking up your tracking 😬 

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time. Wheeler dealer