The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

24 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Heater control valve I'm guessing...

If so just bypassing it would probably be my take it you need it fixed in a hurry.  The weather forecast for the next week doesn't look like it will be calling for heating!

True, although I am going to Newcastle.... 

Part I need is this... 

Screenshot_20200727_174923_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.ada7b69435553e0a8339471e5c45f519.jpg

10 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

So, jobs to do include:

Change oil on Tourer 

Change oil on Fenlander 

Replace power steering belt on Fenlander 

Replace brake pads on Fenlander 

Replace HCV on Tourer 

As at least one of these needs to be ready for a 700+ mile trip next week... ?

No problem! I'm sure...

18 hours ago, rickvw72 said:

On the subject of 43 mpg I’d guess it’s about right. I’ve run a couple of Pug 1.9tds in the past, and never got great mpg. One was a 405, that I ran 3 years / about 50k.

I appreciate that they were 1.9 not 1.8, but the engine seems closely related. 
For me, the non PD VAG 1.9 was my first 50mpg banger. 

I tried hard to make my 405td hit 50 mpg but never quite managed it, 47 was my average over 4000 miles. 

C15 van has done 43 over similar mileage. 

Decided to try to do the oil change over my lunch break today (joys of working from home). It will only take 10-15 minutes I thought....

While moving the tumble dryer which has a fridge on top of it from in front of the airing cupboard in my hallway (because my flat is a stupid design!) I managed to topple a carton of long life milk off the top, which promptly hit the hallway carpet and exploded! 

I was actually quite calm, and set about soaking it up asap and then scrubbing / drying it. Once I'd done the best I could, I sprinkled uncooked rice over the area (Somehow I recall that soaks up moisture) - more on that later.

So I got into the airing cupboard and got my axle stands out.

IMG_20200728_115815.thumb.jpg.3e16c1e468dd0f90e4bbdb27f7a9a015.jpg

Oil change went quite well, jacked the car up under the centre crossmember, put axle stands under. Drained oil (engine was hot btw) and removed the filer - this tried to be awkward, but i had a secret weapon!

IMG_20200728_122643.thumb.jpg.edee6b990e8bc4dc004adfbda54e2815.jpg

Oil change done and refilling I noticed the car creak and move slightly. Then I saw this which promptly told me I'd jacked the car up by the engine, not a crossmember!

IMG_20200728_121818.thumb.jpg.2591108c7069cbd8905166a97b39e594.jpg

Got it all lowered down - also managing to dent both chassis rails with the jack - not a good sign! and started packing up.

Went to close the boot and the catch is broken!!!!!! Meaning the boot now doesn't close at all.

Left it in a temper and went in the house, washed my hands and promptly walked just socks on over the damp, milky, rice covered floor!

Then when I tried to hoover the rice up, the vacuum cleaner decided it would be funny to spit most of the rice out of the back, thus pebble-dashing my shins.

So now I have a car where the boot doesn't close, the engine may or may not be attached and my flat smells of sour milk. Winning. But at least the oil is clean. No I haven't fixed the HCV yet.

2 minutes ago, rob88h said:

How annoying. I hate days like that. 
But well done on the oil!

I've got to do the oil on the Fenlander yet....

So, my to-do list has had one thing ticked off, but two added.

Change oil on Tourer 

Change oil on Fenlander 

Replace power steering belt on Fenlander 

Replace brake pads on Fenlander 

Replace HCV on Tourer 

Fix boot lock on Tourer

Replace engine mount on Tourer.

It's looking increasingly more likely that the Fenlander is coming up north with me on Monday!

2 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

In other news, look what has moved in across the square.. IMG_20200726_083342.thumb.jpg.3e8d8c06b373a7bdd3b3dc8b68f85bf3.jpg

Oh you are living my teenage cars for sure...

Glad you achieved oil change, though I can empathise, I get stressed and angry whenever I try to do jobs on a car...

It often feels like one forward, two back. As long as over 20,000 steps or more there is net forward movement.

Just now, Tim_E said:

Oh you are living my teenage cars for sure...

Glad you achieved oil change, though I can empathise, I get stressed and angry whenever I try to do jobs on a car...

It often feels like one forward, two back. As long as over 20,000 steps or more there is net forward movement.

It's not mine ?

Mid 40s is pretty much where I'd expect the average economy to be.  You'll probably see 50 on a motorway run if you're steady but mid 40s is realistic for everyday use.
My XUD9TE Xantia averaged high 30s generally (would probably have been low 40s anywhere other than Milton Keynes), but easily cracked 50 on the motorway.
Said xantia did over 50 mpg the day I bought it and drove it the 600 plus miles to mine. Never checked it after that as it ran on anything that could go in it from pump derv, rxx derv, marine derv or cooking oil Did well over 14k in 8 months on that mixture.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Change oil on Tourer  - Done 

Change oil on Fenlander - filter due tomorrow 

Replace power steering belt on Fenlander - I can't do this. 

Replace brake pads on Fenlander - have parts

Replace HCV on Tourer - due Friday 

Fix boot lock on Tourer - no idea where to begin

Replace engine mount on Tourer - due Friday 

So, remember when I thought I needed a new heater control valve? 

I was starting to take things apart to get to it, and as I removed these two pipes, I noticed one had split. And I mean almost snapped. The water was actually running down this pipe and dripping onto the HCV, and probably has been for some time!

Screenshot_20200729_113023.thumb.jpg.1205da16055aeb9e964bdcca21982c32.jpg

Cut the end off, reattached and voila! No leak. I'll replace the pipe anyway, but relieved it was an easy fix. Also found out the boot lock is the same on both cars, so nicked the Fenlander one for now. 

Back in business!

19 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Don't know if long life milk is like normal milk, but you need to get a carpet cleaner on that shit ASAP, off milk stinks like nothing else

^This. When I was a kid a friends uncle had to get rid of a car after spilling a pint of milk in it as the smell was unbearable!

Was hoovering the Tourer out today, and discovered this chain under the seat. I presume it was wrapped around the bar under there, hence I hadn't noticed it before. It is looped around one of the bars and bolted together. Any ideas? A rudimentary steering lock? Some sort of bondage thing? ?

IMG_20200730_174910.thumb.jpg.7da87df23d554b66496bbd65d4856668.jpg

23 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Was hoovering the Tourer out today, and discovered this chain under the seat. I presume it was wrapped around the bar under there, hence I hadn't noticed it before. It is looped around one of the bars and bolted together. Any ideas? A rudimentary steering lock? Some sort of bondage thing? ?

IMG_20200730_174910.thumb.jpg.7da87df23d554b66496bbd65d4856668.jpg

Any handcuffs in the glovebox ? ?‍❤️‍?