The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - He will knock four times
  • 2 weeks later...

What a day. 

Metro decided it didn't want to start so had to jump start it. Battery has always been a bit weak. 

Then as I drove away, there was a big clunk from the nearside rear when I braked. Suspect the shoe has come loose in the drum as I now have very little brakes and a clattering /rattling from that corner. I hate doing brake shoes! 

Then went to get the Punto, which still has no heating and the locks were jammed. Hot water got me in but the trip to Chelmsford and back was soooooo cold! 

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Braking bad

So, I've ordered the brake shoes for the Metro, I may take a day off work to sort. Anyone fancy helping? I hate drum brakes! 

Still haven't got round to sorting the Punto heating, but I just go out with coat, scarf, gloves etc. It is proving to be very capable in the snow/ice, I guess it helps having half decent tyres. Of course I haven't tried out its rally capabilities with a few handbrake induced slides round corners, that would be childish and irresponsible. 

14 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

So, I've ordered the brake shoes for the Metro, I may take a day off work to sort. Anyone fancy helping? I hate drum brakes! 

Still haven't got round to sorting the Punto heating, but I just go out with coat, scarf, gloves etc. It is proving to be very capable in the snow/ice, I guess it helps having half decent tyres. Of course I haven't tried out its rally capabilities with a few handbrake induced slides round corners, that would be childish and irresponsible. 

You're the wrong end of the country for me. 

And I agree, drums are a pain in the arse. I've never perfected the art of getting those big fuck off springs back into place without launching them over the wall. 

1 hour ago, Spurious said:

You're the wrong end of the country for me. 

And I agree, drums are a pain in the arse. I've never perfected the art of getting those big fuck off springs back into place without launching them over the wall. 

I tried doing the ones for the hand brake for the omega. Inside the rear vented disk, for the proper braking. 

Makes doing it on a metro look like a piece of piss.   

The only problem, I ever had doing them on a metro, was due to my own foolishness. And I managed to get a wheel cylinder to come right out, which meant I had to bleed the brakes, which led to snapping the bleed nipple, which led to a new cylinder and snapping a brake pipe.....

Yeah....give up now....

Just now, TheDoctor said:

Done the thermostat on the Punto and bled the system. 

IMG_20210213_105612.thumb.jpg.c2e1afd180cff13d51164c44833ecbce.jpg

Is this a heater matrix and should I be worried that a previous owner thought to leave one in the car? 

IMG_20210213_105752.thumb.jpg.a9f3fe8324400a7ec74b810da244b7ef.jpg

Still can't get the heater to blow warm. 😔

That's not the best situation for the current weather...

You need to feel the two hoses going through the bulkhead and check they are both hot, most* heater matrix's have the coolant flow going opposite way to radiator, so low point in and higher hose out for thermal efficiency. So lower hose will be hotter than upper hose.
Big difference in temps usually indicates blockage/flow restriction.
Back flushing can sometimes help but I am sure I was told years ago that radiators and heater matrix both naturally act similar to filters in the coolant system and catch all the crap and sediment, lowering their flow and efficiency.
Sometimes parking the car uphill or jacking the front of car up high can help with burping the air out of the coolant system as well.

Check the hoses to make sure the matrix hasn't been bypassed on the engine side of the bulkhead.

I did that on a MK3 golf when the heater matrix started leaking, donkeys years ago.

The part is well cheap but as @camryv6 says, it's a massive job to get at in most cars. It's one of the first things they fit to the shell on the production line iirc.

54 minutes ago, Stanky said:

I've never heard of the matrix being bypassed on the passenger compartment side of the bulkhead, once you're that far in, there is zero excuse not to replace the matrix itself...

Screw that. Its an end of life car, I'll just cope with a tepid heater until I'm finished with it. 😕

Does the temperature control feel like it's doing anything? Could be a broken or dislodged cable, or something in the heater box broken. Sometimes with a bit of under-dash gymnastics you can find where the cables attach and work out how to set it to full heat manually. Looking at this pic it shouldn't be too hard to find the end of the cable

20210213_213920.jpg

57 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Does the temperature control feel like it's doing anything? Could be a broken or dislodged cable, or something in the heater box broken. Sometimes with a bit of under-dash gymnastics you can find where the cables attach and work out how to set it to full heat manually. Looking at this pic it shouldn't be too hard to find the end of the cable

20210213_213920.jpg

Unfortunately it does feel like it is doing something - there's a thud and the fan note audibly changes, so I'm quite sure it isn't that. If only.