The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

12 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Solidarity @TheDoctor, I was diagnosed ASD a few years ago. I still don't understand a lot of jokes when first told  and I feel like I'm playing at being a social person. 

I would like to go through the Fenlander's poor running with you as I have played with crap old diesels for a long time. Have you tried a different filter?

Yes, I put a Land Rover basic filter on, as I wasn't convinced the original one wasn't part of the issue. I've also replaced the three main fuel hoses and clips. 

I'm tempted to put the old filter unit (with a new cannister) back on, as it's made no difference. 

2 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Yes, I put a Land Rover basic filter on, as I wasn't convinced the original one wasn't part of the issue. I've also replaced the three main fuel hoses and clips. 

I'm tempted to put the old filter unit (with a new cannister) back on, as it's made no difference. 

Have you looked at the tank pickup? Sometimes the gauze filter in them blocks. 

2 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Have you looked at the tank pickup? Sometimes the gauze filter in them blocks. 

Will try that. I basically starts and runs fine, but gets a bit sulky when you boot it (as much as you can with 69bhp)and then drive gently. Similar symptoms to a carburettor when it pulls crap in I guess. Or when it warms up and opens a vacuum leak. 

It's back now. 

IMG-20201208-WA0011.thumb.jpeg.989e65a28103e7d5ca9187304f91334f.jpeg

Had to stop off for a wee on the way home.at Lakeside Maccys

Happy with the clutch feel now. 

However - I did get a whiff of gearbox oil when coming to a stop at one point, and I swear it's not as smooth when letting the clutch up, like a bit 'grabby'. Am I imagining things? Will the clutch be a little harsh feeling until I get used to it? Might the mechanic have just shoved the old gearbox oil back in - worth draining and refilling? 

Clutch is always a bit different after it's been changed, I would think they'd have just topped up any oil lost taking the box out so might be worth changing it.

There's probably a bit of spillage of gearbox fluid from doing the job that you're smelling but worth checking in the daylight I would think

6 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

It's back now. 

IMG-20201208-WA0011.thumb.jpeg.989e65a28103e7d5ca9187304f91334f.jpeg

Had to stop off for a wee on the way home.at Lakeside Maccys

Happy with the clutch feel now. 

However - I did get a whiff of gearbox oil when coming to a stop at one point, and I swear it's not as smooth when letting the clutch up, like a bit 'grabby'. Am I imagining things? Will the clutch be a little harsh feeling until I get used to it? Might the mechanic have just shoved the old gearbox oil back in - worth draining and refilling? 

quite possibly the clutch just needs to "bed in"- plus what it feels like now may need an adjustment in your style as the biting point is bound to be mahoosively different to what you have got used to

gear oil stinks even if only a thimble full has been spilt

12 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

However - I did get a whiff of gearbox oil when coming to a stop at one point, and I swear it's not as smooth when letting the clutch up, like a bit 'grabby'.

New clutches always feel mega grabby especially when you're used to nursing a broken one for ages. It will bed in, but you'll probably adapt long before that.

Gearbox oil sticks to everything and absolutely reeks. Might want to get under it with degreaser and clean the box - if it's fill to overflow it will have just ran down the side when they topped it off.

Cool little car, glad you're back on the road.

7 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

quite possibly the clutch just needs to "bed in"- plus what it feels like now may need an adjustment in your style as the biting point is bound to be mahoosively different to what you have got used to

gear oil stinks even if only a thimble full has been spilt

I managed to spill a liter of it in my hallway once. Not recommended 🤦🏼

14 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

The advice I've read is to burn everything that it touches.  How's the house insurance claim coming along?

Haha. Well I was lucky in that a lot of it spilt over my karting overalls which were on the floor next to the bottle for some odd reason and I had laminate flooring (and I was in the process of moving out!!!) but the house stank for a long time and the overalls were trashed. Hideous stuff

The new clutch in the Outback still feels weird to me... doesn't help that it was absolutely perfect feeling until about half a second before the thrust bearing exploded... 

A noise I will never forget, on holiday (of course), rammed to the gunwales with stuff/fam/dogs, great days!

Well done Doc, just awesome to see the wee thing doing what they should...  Love the white wing too!

11 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Quick photos on the rare occasion I get them both parked together... 

IMG_20201209_110816.thumb.jpg.dd90ce25cf1cf3ba77cfe7723cff6c63.jpg

IMG_20201209_110828.thumb.jpg.97e99e9ef96df610f809d58203268b81.jpg

IMG_20201209_110918.thumb.jpg.db64bf7d76f66214643b54ca198ebd43.jpg

That last photo could have been taken 20 years ago! (Ignoring the Daewoo Matiz hiding behind the Polo) 

I've never had a Matiz or a Metro but I loved my F reg Polo in Doom Blue.

Between me and my parents we've had three R8s!

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Daily Plan-it

So, the Metro has been pushed into daily* use now, and is fairing pretty well.

Mot is up next month, but I'm putting it in on Wednesday, to see if it needs anything. I have a slight concern it will need a tickle with the welder underneath, but then it is a 28 year old Metro after all! 

Carburettor seems OK, now I've topped up the dashpot, but still reckon it's slightly over fuelling. 

Gearbox / clutch are fine, although I sometimes miss 1st gear when coming to a stop meaning it doesn't go in and I get left red faced when I try to pull away. 

Fenlander roffle is progressing nicely, get yourself over to the for sale section if you want to grab one of the remaining 5 tickets! 

I'm hoping for something Asian for my next car, Japanese / Korean /Malaysian etc. We will see..