The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

Hmm I think whether the red will look right will depend on whether you have any other cosmetic plans... it’s not quite right to my eyes, but it’s not far off... can’t tell you why not though... 

EDIT: it might be that the bumpers need blacking up, unless they’re supposed to be grey like my Nova? 

11 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Hmm I think whether the red will look right will depend on whether you have any other cosmetic plans... it’s not quite right to my eyes, but it’s not far off... can’t tell you why not though... 

EDIT: it might be that the bumpers need blacking up, unless they’re supposed to be grey like my Nova? 

Supposed to be grey. The sides below the rubbing strips would look odd otherwise. 

I can confirm, after having at least three of these in my family/myself and having practically lived in a Rover R8 ecosystem (not that anyone called them that back then) that the bumpers are meant to be not so different to the grey paint. The entire range had the grey paint in a two-tone tide mark thing.

Having said that I remember there being body-coloured bumpers, I can't remember how that worked. I was never posh enough to have body coloured bumpers. I think they had single coloured doors with black plastics? Or was the tide mark also dark grey/black? Hmm.

I can't remember. But all the two tone grey/whatever colour ones had grey bumpers.

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - knock knock

Changed the fuel hoses to clear to try to chase the air leak. I just love* the taste of diesel... 

IMG_20201114_152105.thumb.jpg.bf0521ab45e8108429e7be2010c46022.jpg

Absolutely no bubbles in the 'in' pipe, but occasional small bubbles in the return hose. I'm suspecting a small return pipe may be at fault, and air is jumping back in when I come off the accelerator. 

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Chilling with my hose

I doubt it's made that much of an impact on here, but I've not been posting much as I'm going through a difficult time. 

Job is difficult - I've ended up taking a backwards step due to a department reshuffle. It hasn't affected my money, but I'm back to the old stress + the pressure of the new role I took. 

Plus my mental state isn't pretty right now, struggling with executive disfunction and the usual anxiety. 

Hence why I'm not trying to sell / buy a car really. I think having two working cars is better for me than only one and/or trying to obtain another. 

Thought you'd been a bit quiet Doc...

I can empathise a wee bit, my new role at work is much more stressful, and the phone now can (and does) ring at any hour.  Anyway, good call on the car front, shite's supposed to be enjoyable (maybe...?  Not quite the right word?!), keep on keeping on min.

9 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

I doubt it's made that much of an impact on here, but I've not been posting much as I'm going through a difficult time. 

Job is difficult - I've ended up taking a backwards step due to a department reshuffle. It hasn't affected my money, but I'm back to the old stress + the pressure of the new role I took. 

Plus my mental state isn't pretty right now, struggling with executive disfunction and the usual anxiety. 

Hence why I'm not trying to sell / buy a car really. I think having two working cars is better for me than only one and/or trying to obtain another. 

Even without extra pressure from work and elsewhere it's the time of year and the weather to bring out the anxiety and any other tendency to mental ill health we might have.

Eat chocolate if you have to. Or something tasty, at least. Go for walks when you can. Keep posting, even if you've not much to report.

It's always good to hear from you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally hit the bottom. Burnt out completely at work and been signed off. 

I can't do this anymore with crap cars.

Got someone coming to look at the Fenlander in the next few days. 

Not sure what to do about the Metro. I desperately need to do the clutch, it is starting to slip a bit now. Been quoted anything from 125 to 360 to get it done but the cheaper price is too far away.

I might just have to get something cheap and modern for a while until I recover. 😕 

I'm fine though, I'll be back once I'm normal again. If ever. 

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Rock Bottom
36 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Well, I finally hit the bottom. Burnt out completely at work and been signed off. 

I can't do this anymore with crap cars.

Got someone coming to look at the Fenlander in the next few days. 

Not sure what to do about the Metro. I desperately need to do the clutch, it is starting to slip a bit now. Been quoted anything from 125 to 360 to get it done but the cheaper price is too far away.

I might just have to get something cheap and modern for a while until I recover. 😕 

I'm fine though, I'll be back once I'm normal again. If ever. 

A like doesn't seem appropriate, but look after yourself and take the easy route with problems, if that makes sense ?

I agree with all this, health first; mental ill health, anxiety, tiredness, burnt-outness and general not-wellness by its nature makes one tend to not look after ones self, even convinces one that health is the last priority.

Time of year doesn't help, it triggers breakdowns for sure. At least you know that the season will change in the end.

We all love reading your posts but you don't owe us posts. We can wait. Look after yourself. We are here if you need.

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Glad you're still alive and kicking, I hate this time of year as I just want to hibernate rather than doing anything productive. Isn't the Fenlander a better keep than the Metro if it needs a clutch?

Can't seem to get the fuelling right and there's the knock from the rear that I can't trace. It's doing my head in. It's going to be easier to sell too. 

I'll probably sell the Metro too, so if anyone wants it, find me a Suzuki Wagon or something to replace it. 

If you want to fix an air leak on a diesel car, sell it to @SmokinWaffle worked for me! :P  The knock could be the exhaust backbox, R8s are pretty notorious for that (as you probably already know), and the knock can end up sounding like something else entirely.  Good luck with it all, hope your health improves soon for you.

15 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Can't seem to get the fuelling right and there's the knock from the rear that I can't trace. It's doing my head in. It's going to be easier to sell too. 

I'll probably sell the Metro too, so if anyone wants it, find me a Suzuki Wagon or something to replace it. 

Can @theshadowhelp you out ?

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

If you want to fix an air leak on a diesel car, sell it to @SmokinWaffle worked for me! :P  The knock could be the exhaust backbox, R8s are pretty notorious for that (as you probably already know), and the knock can end up sounding like something else entirely.  Good luck with it all, hope your health improves soon for you.

Can't be the back box, it's not original, and on the opposite side to the knock. IMG_20201031_162837.thumb.jpg.0464beacc8a610da969f411b100805b8.jpg

The Metro is going in to get the clutch done on Monday, all being well. 

IMG_20201202_150041.thumb.jpg.257c273c6c1e4929ceab533d396b8282.jpg