The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

22 minutes ago, castros_bro said:

Hi,

If you don't want the AX I'll willingly bring the Carina back as all I wanted was something to give a few lifts to people who couldn't contort enough to get into the back seats of a smoll 2 door car and you seemed to want rid of the Carina ?

No, AX is great, just what I wanted

So @Six-cylinder, is there any way to tell the 954cc and 1.1 engines apart? Would the rocker cover be the same and therefore why mine has 1.1 on it?

We've gone out for a bite to eat at a local pub. As you can see, I've already gone over the wheels in black. 😁

IMG20210910190339.thumb.jpg.e010315501fc73f32fe31a35e86b32b2.jpg

2 hours ago, DoctorRetro said:

So @Six-cylinder, is there any way to tell the 954cc and 1.1 engines apart? Would the rocker cover be the same and therefore why mine has 1.1 on it?

We've gone out for a bite to eat at a local pub. As you can see, I've already gone over the wheels in black. 😁

IMG20210910190339.thumb.jpg.e010315501fc73f32fe31a35e86b32b2.jpg

I am at a Citroen show tomorrow and I will ask.

shirly it needs the Rallye (or how ever they spell it ) stripes on it...

theres a shite green/blue version parked next door to moms....hasnt moved in 7 years...alongside a Grand scenic on a 55 plate that has lain dormant for the same time!!

must grab pics soon

21 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Is this the same Ax that a member on here had done an engine swap on as no 1.0s were avalible and was having a mare with insurance after mentioning the swap ?

It does look remarkably similar, but I can't find any decent pics of theirs ..

@AxWomble ?

@DoctorRetroAce! It lives on! It is definitely not* a replacement 1.1 from a 106, mated to the original 4 speed gearbag. Filthy, yes, although it did have a hard life of commuting and beach visits  under our tenure. Was sold in a hurry so didn’t have time to hoover or give it a run over with two buckets before selling, apologies! 

Free molegrips - not my proudest moment, a stud snapped on the next to last journey we ever took in the car before it was laid up due to insurance maladies, and that was the best solution to stop us being pulled by the plod for excessive noise…

If you think it’s slow now, you should have driven it with the original engine! Temp gauge is obviously aftermarket and as such does not have any of the dampening characteristics of factory fitted gauges - not for the faint hearted! It comes up to temp nicely, gets to a set point (I forget where now though) and the fan switch does cut in and bring it down. Having read up on it, this is an appropriate point for the fan to cut in, as the probe is in the thermostat housing, just as the coolant exits the block, whereas the fan switch is in the radiator, a fair distance away. Hence the coolant has cooled down a bit by the time it reaches the fan switch (which kicks in at high 80s), meaning that you get slightly scary looking temps on the gauge. I assure you, when we had it, it never once overheated even in the height of summer in London traffic. Bottle of water is coincidental, as for a month when we first got it I was overfilling the coolant thus giving no space for expansion, meaning that it pissed out the top 250ml of red stuff every time it got warm. Since learning the true level, it hasn’t used a drop. New engine was driven maybe 500 miles and didn’t require oil top up in all that time. Cough on acceleration is a new one on me, it always pulled cleanly. A few miles of hard driving should see it right. Check under bonnet records for last air filter change! 

Is there anything at all you would like to know about the provenance of this fine steed? Would be more than happy to equip you with any knowledge or pictures that I have! (Apologies for writing on the door, the door itself is rusted along the whole bottom edge so the plan was to buy a replacement fairly soon) 

A few pics - genuine snow-car credentials, fit in ANY parking space with your new AX, photographic evidence of us definitely not* changing the engine and a nasty looking scab on the bottom edge of the n/s rear window - Kurusted and Hammerited but definitely worth keeping an eye on/remedying if you come to paint it. 

Oh yes, and RE the earlier claims that it won’t do 96mph - I’m told* you just need a long enough run up…

7AFD4710-CC90-4795-A18A-852C8839D8D4.jpeg

6FFC1A43-0760-4D98-B500-CF4BCA219D81.jpeg

FB259117-A353-45E0-8187-288D59848621.jpeg

B155752E-1DA0-4FD3-9B08-86DC50DB1ED8.jpeg

B7B3E53B-2195-4E08-B299-BEA27F940D08.jpeg

Oops.

IMG20210911105419.thumb.jpg.d2f0090543d5406b167e42aab48f098d.jpg

IMG20210911105423.thumb.jpg.b48751d04140c158acf0e00be58685bc.jpg

It's not pretty, but it'll do as a daily. 

Drove to pick it up, it was only in Canvey. Turned out to be a dealer trade in, not a sweet old bloke selling their car as the advert looked like.

It's a tatty heap, but it was pretty cheap.

Brakes a bit weak, suspect shoes needed.

Left the AX there and drove it home, planning to get the bus back to pick it up.

Unfortunately as we drove past the parked Citroen, there was a massive puddle underneath, presume coolant dumped. Off now to investigate/ refill/ drive carefully back.

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time. Chevy acquired
21 hours ago, DoctorRetro said:

It will definitely be getting painted, it's horrendous close up.

The question is what colour? I think something a bit more grown up this time. Possibly a Battleship grey. 🤔

White. It looks like a kitchen appliance so just add a Smeg badge. 

21 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

Oops.

IMG20210911105419.thumb.jpg.d2f0090543d5406b167e42aab48f098d.jpg

IMG20210911105423.thumb.jpg.b48751d04140c158acf0e00be58685bc.jpg

It's not pretty, but it'll do as a daily. 

Drove to pick it up, it was only in Canvey. Turned out to be a dealer trade in, not a sweet old bloke selling their car as the advert looked like.

It's a tatty heap, but it was pretty cheap.

Brakes a bit weak, suspect shoes needed.

Left the AX there and drove it home, planning to get the bus back to pick it up.

Unfortunately as we drove past the parked Citroen, there was a massive puddle underneath, presume coolant dumped. Off now to invest/ refill/ drive carefully back.

Coolant under the Citroen? Oo-err. It hasn't done that since the first 50 miles we had it (nearly 10,000 miles ago) when the hose clamp on the bottom hose rusted through. Replaced at the time and no further issues. Hope it's a simple fix! Matiz looks neat enough - a nice unremarkable runabout. 

Fairly cheerful looking cars these. My grandad bought one new when the parking lot of the dealers were filled with bASe spec ones (unpainted bumpers, black and grey plastic instead of silver accents in  the interior, no power steering or electric windows) and you could drive off in one almost instantly at a major discount. 

1 hour ago, AxWomble said:

Coolant under the Citroen? Oo-err. It hasn't done that since the first 50 miles we had it (nearly 10,000 miles ago) when the hose clamp on the bottom hose rusted through. Replaced at the time and no further issues. Hope it's a simple fix! Matiz looks neat enough - a nice unremarkable runabout. 

Hmm. 'Coolant' puddle appears to be coincidental. Hopefully it was already there. Didn't seem to need any water. Couldn't see any wetness anywhere. 

Have moved it to a clean spot and gone for a bite to eat, will have another look when we come out. 

🤔