The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

14 hours ago, brandersnatch said:

It’s not the act itself, it’s the colour choice that's potentially controversial. As I said in the part of my post that you haven’t quoted I don’t give a toss what colour it is.  Just don’t post on a public forum and then get upset when not everyone  likes the end result. 

Crikey, I didn't go back and delete or change your comment. 

I'm asking why is it controversial? It clearly triggered some folk here, I'm not saying it triggered you, but in general. 

Then some folk get further triggered by the fact they get responses about their initial triggerment and keyboard tourette-like outbursts. Again, this is not you, but I'm wondering why people are offended by pink paint. 

I mean, it can be re-painted. Or people maybe people should just get over that some people like colours other people to like. 

Again, I'm not accusing you of this. 

Might be worth just getting back on topic instead of dragging it out. I think it looks wicked, as @TheDoctor - if you have nothing nice to say - say nothing. It's not hard.

Also:

On 2/20/2021 at 12:38 PM, chaseracer said:

Reminder of AS prime directive: DON'T BE A DICK.

ANYWAY

I like it with the black bumpers - for what it's worth! Needs a big ol cherry bomb or a straight pipe where the backbox is and an OMEX rev limiter in my opinion for maximum fun. Wheels look like a good idea too! Shame good size/fitment wellers are such a pain to find as 4 of those would look the bomb as well.

35 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

Crikey, I didn't go back and delete or change your comment. 

I'm asking why is it controversial? It clearly triggered some folk here, I'm not saying it triggered you, but in general. 

Then some folk get further triggered by the fact they get responses about their initial triggerment and keyboard tourette-like outbursts. Again, this is not you, but I'm wondering why people are offended by pink paint. 

I mean, it can be re-painted. Or people maybe people should just get over that some people like colours other people to like. 

Again, I'm not accusing you of this. 

You would be better asking the folk who are triggered. As I said I don’t care what colour the thing is. 

I wondered about the colour change for official reasons as well. ‘Yeah it was red, it has just faded...’

I’ve been wanting to paint something with Montana cans for ages. I’ve got blue or turquoise in my head. I’ve seen pink with turquoise and white blocks in it that looked smart as well. 

12 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Just to reassure anyone who may be worried, I'm sending the logbook off today and I'm currently on the phone to the insurance company to let them know. 

IMG_20210308_111407.thumb.jpg.753aa5033eacae830445b2b4d36d0451.jpg

I thought pink is a shade of red, like pale blue is still blue. 

But better to be on the safe side👍

15 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

In other, less 'controversial' news.... 

IMG_20210307_105831.thumb.jpg.1acb9d5fd005c1fb1d70172d56c6a58d.jpg

Oh. Well shit. 

Guessing a dodgy valve, or the tyre needs resealing? Have to say that colour Punto is one of favourites, next to the brunt orange an the light blue metallic. Forget the correct colour names off hand, this also reminds me that I need to sort out both my old Mk1 Puntos. At some point this year!

Dw1jOMQXQAAmzxe.thumb.jpeg.2c506ebd366af2bd5d4a7dbb562ad64f.jpeg

20200523_173053.thumb.jpg.bd47118b76ad7de803a0bcd5a1b4a94e.jpg

On 08/03/2021 at 11:23, Cheezey said:

I wondered about the colour change for official reasons as well. ‘Yeah it was red, it has just faded...’

I’ve been wanting to paint something with Montana cans for ages. I’ve got blue or turquoise in my head. I’ve seen pink with turquoise and white blocks in it that looked smart as well. 

How bad a finish would I get with rattle cans? Montana seem to have a nice dark green which might be similar to the BRG if our MK1 MX5. I  have 2 second hand wings in silver, and was going to paint them off the car with rattle cans, before fitting them. 

And then go around and do all the other panels in turn over the next week or so. 

I'm sure it won't be an exact match, but it will save doing inside the door shuts etc.  How many cans would you need for a metro ?? 

36 minutes ago, New POD said:

How bad a finish would I get with rattle cans? Montana seem to have a nice dark green which might be similar to the BRG if our MK1 MX5. I  have 2 second hand wings in silver, and was going to paint them off the car with rattle cans, before fitting them. 

And then go around and do all the other panels in turn over the next week or so. 

I'm sure it won't be an exact match, but it will save doing inside the door shuts etc.  How many cans would you need for a metro ?? 

I used 8 cans, but would probably do 10 to be safe. 

8 cans came to 42 quid delivered. 

Montana paint comes out quite thick, and the finish is very orange-peely, but can obviously be wet-flatted back. I would say it's definitely in the prep, but the thickness means it's quite forgiving too. 

As Mally says, test it first like I did, on a spare wing. 

3 hours ago, Mally said:

It can be done, not by me though. I've seen a few , some very good.

Way to go is do one of your spare wings. Preparation is the key. Best on very hot days, but inside a garage if possible.

If the wing looks crap, don't do the car.

I mean I have a very very old compressor, without a tank, quite small. Last time I used it was to spray mg metro turbo front wings.  In white. In celloluse.  In 1991. Finish was acceptable. But 10 tins has to be less than the cost of the paint and thinners. 

Well I have to say I quite like it.  Not my shade but the finish is not bad for rattle cans sprayed in a car park.  Especially as it’s not exactly ideal drying weather in Essex at the moment.

Wheeler Dealers would be so much better if Mike sends a car off to the paint shop, which then turns out to be The Doc in Tescos car park with a load of discontinued Halfords rattle cans.  Am looking forward to the multiple coats of clearcoat and several hours of flatting and polishing because that’s what you’re gonna do next, right??

Otherwise get yourself A hat, a Mac, a stray cat painted pink and drive around like a low budget version of this utter boss

F00216D0-379B-46FF-89B1-B3483586E554.jpeg

Looking at the chassis on this, I bet it drove like complete shit....imagine the porpoising at speed

24 minutes ago, Parky said:

Am looking forward to the multiple coats of clearcoat and several hours of flatting and polishing because that’s what you’re gonna do next, right?

Ha ha ha. 

No. 😁

Sorry, but this was always going to be a cartoon finish rather than a resplendent and glamorous custom job. There are a few places that will need a bit more paint on, where I haven't quite covered properly, and then I'll think about how to best protect it. 

It's a 300 quid banger, so I'm not that fussed, there are probably more important things to worry about going forward, namely the slight squeak from a front wheel (bearing?) and a flat spot when accelerating. 

Get some BWT stickers for instant Racing Point F1 credibility.  Ideal for covering missed bits!

01353BF7-1A9F-4B50-A760-685AE626FCC3.jpeg

As you can see Racing Point painted theirs outside Lidl on a rainy Sunday afternoon, hence the large number of “corrective” stickers