The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

Done a bit of tidying up, the wheels were a bit minging. Just wheel silver etc, but I didn't like the full trims. Also debadged where I can, and I took the front badge off to check if it's the same as the spare one I have from the Golf - it is...

IMG20210515145212.thumb.jpg.78416eaa903f786b156113069345fe9d.jpg

IMG20210515154748.thumb.jpg.7fe5a89d9ef57f3fe595b274026686d8.jpg

IMG20210515154753.thumb.jpg.830b51374f50d219835337cacf81acfe.jpg

IMG20210515154810.thumb.jpg.83e0ccf780de4ea876f31dde44b89a55.jpg

IMG20210515154820.thumb.jpg.7a18e19c9665d432a92ff0e9e6ae24c9.jpg

Here the to-do list:

Tyres - currently on 4 X indeterminate aged snow tyres! 😨

Suspension - various clunks and creaks mean a few bushes etc need replacing. Front offside spring/shock feels too squishy. 

Dashboard - So many rattles! 

Drivetrain - tap/ clunk when accelerating/ deccelarating could be suspension related.

Doors - locks are troublesome and drivers one is completely broken.

Paintwork - arches starting to rust, will clean up and repaint.

Interior - seats and carpet are pale grey and desperately need a clean.

Boot - handle broken, needs a new one, may be easier to look for hen's teeth...

Cosmetic - I've seen a Seat grille I'd like. I have some 4 X 100 alloys I might tidy up and pop on.

Looking good, probably needs lowering?

I think I replaced all the wishbone bushes. Certainly it's had 4x front springs and 4 X shocks. Front springs were replaced at different times though! (Always replace in pairs etc)

Door locks are definitely crap, I think the driver's had been replaced.

I also replaced most of the of the CV joints and the rear engine mount.

Boot handle is the same as the MK3 golf hatch! Seats also swap from MK3 golf.

You will probably find random bits of foam, card and rubber stuck in and under the dash and an attempt to reduce the rattles. My mates MK2 caddy it the same!

1 minute ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Wouldn't that cover the brakes in paint overspray? I've always removed wheels to paint them. 

Yeah I always remove the wheels as well. I have seen people brush painting with the wheels still on and getting nice results.

26 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Did you take all the wheels off to paint them? Only ask as I see loads of people doing them on the car now?  Looks like a really good job.

I didn't on this occasion. Littlun stuck playing cards around the edge and I just blasted them with wheel silver.

I normally take them off though.

19 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Wouldn't that cover the brakes in paint overspray? I've always removed wheels to paint them. 

Yes. Looks shit close up. 😂

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - El Polo Vario
6 hours ago, DoctorRetro said:

😂

IMG20210520141653.thumb.jpg.d417baefbfbeb7b80bdfbe5336e3f599.jpg

It looks as though it's confused with its identity. I bet if you parked it near it's mates, they'd have to be careful whether they referred to it as Seat or Volkswagen, and whether they should chat in Spanish or German. Mind you, I guess the Metro is now a she, or is it just a very confident DGAF he? 😅

4 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

It looks as though it's confused with its identity. I bet if you parked it near it's mates, they'd have to be careful whether they referred to it as Seat or Volkswagen, and whether they should chat in Spanish or German. Mind you, I guess the Metro is now a she, or is it just a very confident DGAF he? 😅

They're both non binary, so no confusion. 😁

Nice Polo @DoctorRetro !

I really liked these back in the day. I owned a T reg Ibiza 1.4 (60 bhp) in the 2000s and it is the best car I have owned to date. Essentially the same car from the front end to the rear wheels. From memory I think the Polos has a nicer grade of interior plastics over the SEAT versions.

I think it looks great on the steelies. VW designed some nice looking steelies from the 1980s into the 90s.

Tried to fix the door lock on driver's side to no avail. Nice SEAT logos inside the door..

IMG20210523134324.thumb.jpg.925ed273062a46d8bf712bf2b9bb18bb.jpg

I think I've sorted the leak by cleaning out all drainage, but I've taped up the sunroof too just in case...

Also replaced the Metro HT leads only for it not to start! I'd knocked off one of the small leads on the coil!

4 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

Tried to fix the door lock on driver's side to no avail. Nice SEAT logos inside the door..

IMG20210523134324.thumb.jpg.925ed273062a46d8bf712bf2b9bb18bb.jpg

I think I've sorted the leak by cleaning out all drainage, but I've taped up the sunroof too just in case...

Also replaced the Metro HT leads only for it not to start! I'd knocked off one of the small leads on the coil!

Do you know when the sunroof drains are to check if they are blocked? On my old mk3 golf they were in the door shut, not sure if they are in the same place on a Polo?