The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

2 hours ago, AndyW201 said:

The Cyan strip reminds me of the stripes on the Rio model, especially in Nevada red, which was a kind of dark pinkish red,

0.thumb.jpg.e24a79a6e678dd99198ee8d34bcc6d7b.jpg

I almost went for this colour when I got a Rio Grande in 1994 but went for Kingfisher blue, and carried on the coloured stripes on to the bumpers.

After the doc's car this just looks worse than beige. 

I’m all about the blocky contrast between the black and pink, so my tuppence worth is no rubbing strips or wheel details.. I’m gonna be really annoying now and say that I preferred the bumpers pre-linseed. Matt black against the pink FTW! 

Having said all of that, a splash of cyan would look banging, but maybe more freeform  like Vulg is suggesting rather than a stripe. 90’s Halfords fake paint splodge? 

anyway, looks ace 👍

Hey Doctor, when you painted the 'tro did you just use the standard cap that comes on the Montana paint or did you use a different one ie a fat cap?

I am looking into this as an option for painting my scooter and I watched some videos on graff paint caps and ended up more confused.

4 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Another question, how is the finish? It is orange peely or did you get many runs or did it go on quite nice?

Have you flatted the paint back at all?

Used the caps that they came with but if doing it again I'd try something different/wider. I found the caps confusing too. 

Yes, it's pretty orange peel-like, but suspect it's thick enough to flat back. 

Did get some runs but again, it's quite forgiving 

I'm not planning on rubbing back / lacquering, I prefer the slightly satin finish, it means it's easier to touch up if needed. It was never going to be a perfect job. 

However my friend who painted his Mazda 121 managed to get a lovely finish by taking time on the prep and finishing. 

FB_IMG_1615996364551.thumb.jpg.231f42f3d41ac0d89b5a0911a5541582.jpg

FB_IMG_1615996361038.thumb.jpg.5efb22f4945f30bab7f4955bc22d63a2.jpg

10 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

Used the caps that they came with but if doing it again I'd try something different/wider. I found the caps confusing too. 

Yes, it's pretty orange peel-like, but suspect it's thick enough to flat back. 

Did get some runs but again, it's quite forgiving 

I'm not planning on rubbing back / lacquering, I prefer the slightly satin finish, it means it's easier to touch up if needed. It was never going to be a perfect job. 

However my friend who painted his Mazda 121 managed to get a lovely finish by taking time on the prep and finishing. 

FB_IMG_1615996364551.thumb.jpg.231f42f3d41ac0d89b5a0911a5541582.jpg

FB_IMG_1615996361038.thumb.jpg.5efb22f4945f30bab7f4955bc22d63a2.jpg

Been following that on retro rides. What a beat that is!

I think it’s actually improved it’s saleability on the used car circuit. Years ago the value of Ford Ka went up by at least 200% if they were pink. 

When all is said and done it’s not a 1932 Hispano Suiza, it’s a fairly average example of a fairly undesirable difficult to sell car. If you want a pink one then fair enough. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Lightning strikes!