The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

I've got a Bissell spot cleaner you can borrow if you want it, give the seats a going over should get rid of the smell. Working at Basildon Shitfarm (Courtauld Road near Cricketers Sainsburys) so can bring it in with me if required.

I wonder if MrDuke smokes? I know Pete and his dad that had it for yeeears don’t (unless it was a secret, haha, as they always had the air freshener game high in all their cars). My wife did think she smelled cigarettes but I couldn’t get it, just the jelly bean air freshener assault. 

I know what you mean about the car though, I liked it enough to work on the items preventing the MOT, but no more than that and had no intentions of keeping it, which gave me the motivation to get it its MOT.  Something about it just made me want to save it this one last time for those last 12 months of life. Don’t get me wrong, with select work this car can probably MOT in 2022, but somehow it’s just hard to bond with it, right?

8 minutes ago, rob88h said:

I wonder if MrDuke smokes? I know Pete and his dad that had it for yeeears don’t (unless it was a secret, haha, as they always had the air freshener game high in all their cars). My wife did think she smelled cigarettes but I couldn’t get it, just the jelly bean air freshener assault. 

I know what you mean about the car though, I liked it enough to work on the items preventing the MOT, but no more than that and had no intentions of keeping it, which gave me the motivation to get it its MOT.  Something about it just made me want to save it this one last time for those last 12 months of life. Don’t get me wrong, with select work this car can probably MOT in 2022, but somehow it’s just hard to bond with it, right?

I'm not sure, I does have a charm, and is a very capable car, it's just a bit past its best. It's a bit 'white goods' in feel.

I'd love to try one that had done maybe 40k less or something and had been cosseted. I'd venture that as a functional vehicle, you'd never need anything else! 

2 hours ago, EssDeeWon said:

Just caught up on this thread.... I saw this pink metro yesterday in Eastwood near Progress Road about 17.30

That's near where I live. Was picking my partner up from the bus stop at the Oakwood as she was grabbing some stuff from the shop.

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Seized!
1 minute ago, Talbot said:

Given that you now have the opportunity to recover it, if the recovery and storage fees are significantly less than the value of the vehicle, pay them, claim the vehicle and sell it all over again.

Unexpected profit is unexpected.

Keys?

Just now, loserone said:

Only question is do you then become responsible for the previous uninsured driver?

No.  That's all on the driver.  The RK has nothing to do with it.  The only possible action could be the Police believing that the RK allowed the vehicle to be driven uninsured, but as The Doc has at least some evidence that the car was sold on a year back, then it's nothing to do with him.

Whilst it might *technically* be stealing the car, I can't imagine the "owner" will be in a hurry to claim it back, and with it clearly not being registered to them, I doubt they have a leg to stand on.  It's evidently still registered to the Doc. (and I know that doesn't mean ownership, but the fact that the new "owner" has had it a year and not registered it would seem to suggest they're not interested in it)

Pretty much all sorted. I think the reason it came down to being me as the last registered keeper is that it was sold as trade? It hasn't had a new logbook issued since March last year. Mind you, I had trouble with the Rover logbook off Jared too, seems he's not too reliable with paperwork... 😂

Anyway, I have saved the chat transcript from the DVLA...

IMG20210420120153.thumb.jpg.2fe98943006892b259ee148d1c8c58b5.jpg

Police said it was an automated thing sent to last registered keeper and that as long as DVLA don't have me as keeper then not to worry.

As for actually claiming the vehicle, it would have been 200 quid recovery plus 20 quid per day storage. And the identification and documents you would have to bring were crazy. Plus it was in Stoke, and no idea how much of a state the current 'owner' has gotten it into.

What I'm never sure of:  If the car has been driven uninsured, then you have to show that the vehicle is insured before you can drive it away, which is reasonable.  But what if you turn up with a car transporter trailer and plan to take it away and keep it off-road?  Surely it must be possible to re-claim a car, but not have to insure it.

However, given that it's going to be something like £360 to recover (£200 + 8 days at £20), plus recovery costs, plus £25 for a new V5, plus possibly having to insure it before you can take it, and the very likely issue of it having been driven into the ground, it doesn't really sound worth it.

However, if you could offer the garage holding it the scrap value of the vehicle on the day it was going to be bridged, I wonder if they would sell it to you.  Probably some restriction that says they can't and that after that date it has to be broken up.  Seems a waste.

I think the prices are kept high, in a deliberate attempt to take them off the road.  For the type of person that drives underinsured and forgets to tax or mot their vehicle, it's cheaper to go and buy another car and give the seller a false  name and address. 

9 minutes ago, New POD said:

I think the prices are kept high, in a deliberate attempt to take them off the road.  For the type of person that drives underinsured and forgets to tax or mot their vehicle, it's cheaper to go and buy another car and give the seller a false  name and address. 

Could be true, but its a fixed price by the cops, at least in Scotland.. could be a mile, could be 50 miles. Its just averaged I suppose. Neds will dump motors in rivers, set them on fire or stuff them into a parked car.. since the price of scrap went up, and cheap cars kinda dissapeared, our workload went down.

On 07/03/2021 at 01:47, DoctorRetro said:

Fine. That's why forums have an ignore function. I don't have time for negative people. I'm a big believer in 'If you can't say something nice, don't say anything' 

“You can paint a cock and balls on it for all I care, it’s your car! 🤣

I don’t understand why middle aged men who should know better get so angry and aggressive on this forum about other people’s cars!

• DoctorRetro changed the title to The Doctor's travels through time - Higher Car