The Doctor's travels through time. Fin.

DoctorRetro

On 6/29/2020 at 4:14 PM, Fabergé Greggs said:

Perfect. Your feed for the switch wouldn't necessarily have to be ignition switched either as I doubt you'd accidentally leave it on, and also make sure it's something that's fused with a nice small fuse like the cigarette lighter feed.  

Funnily enough, I wired it up like this and the fan stayed of permanently. 

I searched for another diagram, wired it up like this and it works fine. 

5dafb2f905ebcece8ab29240b5aabe1c.jpg.6a84a25c0b25f13f4d179a7e147d29f0.jpg

Oddly though, the telltale light only works when the switch is in the off position. 

Went out for a drive, mixed 30mph, start stop, 50mph and 70mph. Temperature did not rise above halfway, so I guess that means the coolant is flowing. Will still flush it and change thermostat anyway 

I think I've figured out one of the reasons the Tourer keeps getting a bit too hot - the oil looks like someone has substituted it with matt black paint! That can't help! 

Couple of things I'm wondering.

Is 10/40 semi the best oil for it? 

When you have an external oil cooler, is there anything different to the method for changing the oil? Would any in that system just mix through or would it need draining? 

Finally managed to do a full tank to full tank fuel economy review on the Tourer, as I've been running my missus to work and back, which is a lot of miles. 

Managed a measly 43.5mpg...

I might do a similar test with the Fenlander, see how a N/A diesel compares. To put it into perspective the Tourer at 70mph is at 2500rpm, the Fenlander is at 3000rpm.

I wonder if having the turbo makes you boot it more often and thus use more fuel? 

That doesn't sound that bad for a leggy turbo diesel XUD? A lot of people exaggerate their economy so real world figures can be a bit different. Am I right in saying the tourer was amongst the heaviest mainstream car to get that particular XUD7T? Heavier than a 405 believe it or not....

Personally I found my NA ZX better on fuel than the (very well used) TD. Not by much though.

I wouldn't necessarily say revs are key to efficiency, my six speed A6 was nudging 2k revs at 70 and was less economical than the more powerful and higher revving V70 with the same engine. 

24 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

That doesn't sound that bad for a leggy turbo diesel XUD? A lot of people exaggerate their economy so real world figures can be a bit different. Am I right in saying the tourer was amongst the heaviest mainstream car to get that particular XUD7T? Heavier than a 405 believe it or not....

Personally I found my NA ZX better on fuel than the (very well used) TD. Not by much though.

I wouldn't necessarily say revs are key to efficiency, my six speed A6 was nudging 2k revs at 70 and was less economical than the more powerful and higher revving V70 with the same engine. 

Yes, it weights 1170kg, as opposed to the BX which weighs 1062kg and the 405 which weighs 1120kg.

2 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Finally managed to do a full tank to full tank fuel economy review on the Tourer, as I've been running my missus to work and back, which is a lot of miles. 

Managed a measly 43.5mpg...

I might do a similar test with the Fenlander, see how a N/A diesel compares. To put it into perspective the Tourer at 70mph is at 2500rpm, the Fenlander is at 3000rpm.

I wonder if having the turbo makes you boot it more often and thus use more fuel? 

That doesnt sound like a relaxing engine speed. What's the red line? 4500?

Mid 40s is pretty much where I'd expect the average economy to be.  You'll probably see 50 on a motorway run if you're steady but mid 40s is realistic for everyday use.

My XUD9TE Xantia averaged high 30s generally (would probably have been low 40s anywhere other than Milton Keynes), but easily cracked 50 on the motorway.

8 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Is it a collection mission, about time you part exed that in, you've had it for ever... 

Nope, I'm not getting rid of the R8 of Death, unless of course it decides that 210k is its natural time to die. 

On a related note, the alternator definitely needs replacing, I'm dreading that.... 

14 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

On my p reg 420 gsi the alternator seized and the bloke in the scrappy went in to his book of knowledge and one from a much newer Range Rover fitted and with more oomphage, simple to fit as well ??

Apparently mine is the same as a Lada Niva diesel one. Which makes sense, as they were fitted with an XUD too. 

Those arch extensions look tidy, what are they from?

With the front badge gone and windows faired in, body cladding etc it looks like a car from the spy shots bit in CAR magazine’s  from the 90s

Hans Lehman Spends half a week up a tree to bring you exclusive development mule pics of the (mildly disguised) rover estate slated for 1994

38 minutes ago, HMC said:

Those arch extensions look tidy, what are they from?

With the front badge gone and windows faired in, body cladding etc it looks like a car from the spy shots bit in CAR magazine’s  from the 90s

Hans Lehman Spends half a week up a tree to bring you exclusive development mule pics of the (mildly disguised) rover estate slated for 1994

Just universal ones from ebay. 

I'll keep my eyes open for journos hiding in trees, thanks for the heads up. 

On the subject of 43 mpg I’d guess it’s about right. I’ve run a couple of Pug 1.9tds in the past, and never got great mpg. One was a 405, that I ran 3 years / about 50k.

I appreciate that they were 1.9 not 1.8, but the engine seems closely related. 
For me, the non PD VAG 1.9 was my first 50mpg banger. 

Had a coolant low light flash on a couple of occasions on the Tourer. First time just topped it up, but second time raised my suspicions. It wasn't mega low, just needed a small amount. I was also sure I could smell coolant while driving. But couldn't see any leaks. 

After a longish drive I decided to investigate, and found this, down the back of the engine. Its obviously the culprit, and hopefully an easy fix. Not what I need a week before a long trip though! 

IMG_20200727_165656.thumb.jpg.a7ddedb463a81832d62b61151e4ec7f8.jpg

IMG_20200727_165706.thumb.jpg.97fdd4a873aa260231c6ade60efda399.jpg